Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many options for unlimited rock rails are offered by MOPAR?

Old 11-10-2017, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many options for unlimited rock rails are offered by MOPAR?

I have a '17 Rubicon Unlimited and want to get the rock rails that have an integrated step. I want to stay with Mopar. I seem to have seen some that have a step with perforated holes in it and then the one I see on the Red Rock that seems like the standard Rubi rail with a single tube mounted on it for a step. Does anyone have a definitive answer for how many options Mopar offers and what part #s are? I have looked at the Mopar site and only find the Red Rock version. Thanks in advance, Blaine
Old 11-10-2017, 11:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Do you plan these being functional offroad at all, or strictly for on-road function as a step? If your jeep will travel offroad, I'd suggest something aftermarket for both sturdiness and clearance reasons. I would note that the tube on the "enhanced" rubi rails is pretty puny. If you like that look, I'd rather pick up a set of rubi rails for cheap off craigslist and have some real tube welded to em for a much more substantial rail......with a cautionary warning about how rubi rails mount to the body.

Honestly, there are so many offerings out on the market, and dare I saw almost every single one of them will be better than what Mopar offers.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Do you plan these being functional offroad at all, or strictly for on-road function as a step? If your jeep will travel offroad, I'd suggest something aftermarket for both sturdiness and clearance reasons. I would note that the tube on the "enhanced" rubi rails is pretty puny. If you like that look, I'd rather pick up a set of rubi rails for cheap off craigslist and have some real tube welded to em for a much more substantial rail......with a cautionary warning about how rubi rails mount to the body.

Honestly, there are so many offerings out on the market, and dare I saw almost every single one of them will be better than what Mopar offers.
I hear you on one hand, but on the other, most aftermarket finishes are crap. I love AEV, but they dont make sliders. That is why I was leaning toward the mopar. I will go offroad, but mainly on road. Thanks
Old 11-10-2017, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the Mopar Rubicon enhanced rock rails on my 2006 LJUR for 6 years, and have had them on my 2012 JKUR for 6 years. I like them and the finish has held up fine. I've hit a rock a couple of times and scuffed the underside a little but they held up.

The step function is narrow, but useable.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

There's a new Recon edition Rock rail from Mopar that is available for the 2017's. It looks very similar to the enhanced Hard Rock edition rock rails but seems to have a more functional step like the OP mentioned.

I don't have a Mopar P/N, but have been looking for them as well.

I believe these are what the OP is asking about.

I really like the new LOD destroyer rock slider steps, aside from the price. If I could find some of the new Mopar's as a take off, I may go that route. Both will come down to price for me. I don't like the thought of paying $850+ for a step when I already have a set of the Rubi rock sliders as well as the Sahara steps.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-12-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
There's a new Recon edition Rock rail from Mopar that is available for the 2017's. It looks very similar to the enhanced Hard Rock edition rock rails but seems to have a more functional step like the OP mentioned.

I don't have a Mopar P/N, but have been looking for them as well.

I believe these are what the OP is asking about.

I really like the new LOD destroyer rock slider steps, aside from the price. If I could find some of the new Mopar's as a take off, I may go that route. Both will come down to price for me. I don't like the thought of paying $850+ for a step when I already have a set of the Rubi rock sliders as well as the Sahara steps.
YES! This is what I am talking about. Thank you! Now I just need a part #.
I love LOD as well, but my experience with their finish is awful. I had their sliders, they rusted, took them back and had them sandblasted and refinished by LoD and they still are all chipped and rusted.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Are there more pics of that rail out there? One thing I'd pay attention to is how the outter bar mounts to the rail by the back tire.....and if it allows room to trim shorter for larger tires...if need be. The only other thing would be without many floating around out there......I'd hate to pay full Mopar price for those. I shudder to think what they cost if retail on reg rubi rail is $450.

Also, you mentioned mainly for on-road, but just be aware if those mount to the body the same as the rubi rail that when pressure from a rock or whatnot is applied to the otter bar of the rail, the rail will flex up and in to the lower part of your rocker panel.....caving the sheet metal in. Doesn't sound like this is a concern for you.......but just be mindful of it if you ever get in to wheeling it more.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by JEP THNG
YES! This is what I am talking about. Thank you! Now I just need a part #.
I love LOD as well, but my experience with their finish is awful. I had their sliders, they rusted, took them back and had them sandblasted and refinished by LoD and they still are all chipped and rusted.
I found them. You may not like the prices......

JKU:
68309746AB
68309747AB

JK:
68309744AB
68309745AB

$961 per side for the 4door
http://www.moparpartsdiscounted.com/...8309746AB.html

almost $1600 per side for the 2 door...which seems odd, that the 4 door cost less.
http://www.moparpartsdiscounted.com/...8309744AB.html

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-13-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I found them. You may not like the prices......

JKU:
68309746AB
68309747AB

JK:
68309744AB
68309745AB

$961 per side for the 4door
http://www.moparpartsdiscounted.com/...8309746AB.html

almost $1600 per side for the 2 door...which seems odd, that the 4 door cost less.
http://www.moparpartsdiscounted.com/...8309744AB.html
Classic mopar. LOL.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

this was a pia to find, but once i got a vin # to my dealer that had these steps/rails on it, he was able to find pricing....unbelievable.....$1395 PER SIDE!!! No thanks.

Quick Reply: How many options for unlimited rock rails are offered by MOPAR?