Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to measure pinion angle?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you check the boot and remove the ds? Haven't heard back on those.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, I would check the Boot on the DS.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to remove front driveshaft this week and check the boot.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You don't need to remove it to check the boots, just crawl under and look. (I had actually assumed that this was already done, and the boot was good). Anyway, very easy to see if the middle slip-joint boot is torn and flapping around.

If that boot is good, the other problem area to look for is the joint at the tcase. If this one has split, you should see a very noticeable ring of grease on the undercarriage just above the joint.

And if the big boot in the middle is the problem, just rip it off. Then you can either run it without the boot, (and maybe just pull the shaft off once or twice a year, depending on use, to clean and re-grease,) or buy a new boot (which will likely tear just like the stock one), or go to a thinner aftermarket shaft.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-15-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You don't need to remove it to check the boots, just crawl under and look.
Those were just 2 recommendations on things to check earlier in the thread. Not meant to be done together. I was just asking if he had done those yet since he was asking for more possibilities and I hadn't seen the results of these 2 tests posted. I suggested he check the boot and another member suggested disconnecting the ds to rule that out.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

No update?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Ok finally got under the jeep. No tear or grease but the angle of shaft into tcase is steep. Took the shaft off and went for a ride and the noise is gone. I have adjustable lower arms but thinking I need upper arms now. Will that fix the problem or is my driveshaft the problem?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 AM
JK Junkie

It may go away when you set your caster, not sure. You can adjust your caster with your lowers. Uppers are better IMO but lowers will work. Worth a shot.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Shorten the lowers to raise the pinion / lower caster
Lengthen the lowers to lower the pinion / raise caster

Adding uppers also will allow you to move the entire axle forward/backward in the wheel well, and gives a better range of adjustability and fine tuning for caster/pinion.

As you go higher, caster/pinion angles are a balancing act. The only way around it is to cut and turn, or go to a caster corrected aftermarket housing.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Shorten the lowers to raise the pinion / lower caster
Lengthen the lowers to lower the pinion / raise caster

Adding uppers also will allow you to move the entire axle forward/backward in the wheel well, and gives a better range of adjustability and fine tuning for caster/pinion.

As you go higher, caster/pinion angles are a balancing act. The only way around it is to cut and turn, or go to a caster corrected aftermarket housing.
Well said!

Adding the upper arms will help you fine tune your pinion angle, however it is doubtful that it will correct your noise. Feel the DS joints and see if you have any binding. If you do that is likely the source of the noise. I would say that a replacement DS will correct your noise based on what you have said.

Quick Reply: how to measure pinion angle?