JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   How much actual lift from BDS 3” ? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/how-much-actual-lift-bds-3%94-350365/)

poesdad 05-18-2019 08:17 PM

How much actual lift from BDS 3” ?

For those of you that installed the BDS 3” lift, please chime in and list your total increased height after all. Also what bumpers/winches/spare tire etc you have added weight.

I have read one review stating they were close to 4” total after all, with stock spare and bumpers.

TheDirtman 05-19-2019 06:43 AM

Most kits are going to give you more then advertised on a stock jeep. BDS is not a popular kit for jeeps and to tell you the truth there are not many on this board with BDS and they are considered a low quality, poorly designed, incomplete kit priced to suck you into buying it then selling you more components after the install to make it ride better. Companies also change up kits over time and it would be good to include a link to what you are actually looking at.

poesdad 05-19-2019 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4342372)
Most kits are going to give you more then advertised on a stock jeep. BDS is not a popular kit for jeeps and to tell you the truth there are not many on this board with BDS and they are considered a low quality, poorly designed, incomplete kit priced to suck you into buying it then selling you more components after the install to make it ride better. Companies also change up kits over time and it would be good to include a link to what you are actually looking at.

I had a great response and discussion regarding this topic under another thread, however, I posted this in hopes to get the specific response. The idea is to determine whether the 2” mopar kit or 3” bds kit is higher.

I am aware of the component issues. However, I don’t recall anyone saying bds is low quality.

poesdad 05-19-2019 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4342372)

This is the kit I was looking at, but swapping the shocks to Bilstein 5100s
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...d0ccc0cd50.png
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...5cd655f314.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...82b6a07c48.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...88032fb205.png

TheDirtman 05-19-2019 04:36 PM

So that kit is about half the kit you need. No caster adjustment, no track bar adjustment. BDS is a made in China cheap lift that caters to bro trucks and gets little love from the jeep community.You are basically buying their coils and some junk hardware. I would bet the bump stops are too long as well for 35's as most of the cheaper companies just add as much bump stop as lift which is not the best way to size them.
Its your jeep and your money if you are set on that kit, buy it and live with what it is. I gave you recommendations in your other thread and stand by them. The Mopar kit you are asking about is alright and on the budget side of lifts. I would not recommend it but Redroll likes to push it as it is the kit he has.AS for me I build custom suspensions and set things up the way they should be to do what the owner wants out of the system. It is a system as well as so many parts interact with others and when you change one thing it will likely lead to another. If you are on limited budget then just keep the jeep the way it is instead of throwing good money at bad products.

BTW who was it that told you BDS was a good lift for a jeep?

Rednroll 05-20-2019 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4342391)

He mentioned in the other discussion that he had a BDS lift on his pickup truck and he was happy with it. I suggested that if he liked BDS that he was likely better off looking at the JKS version for the JK since it's the better lift in regards to hardware compared to the BDS as you pointed out but made by the same company.

I also suggested the Mopar 2in lift to look into since it was in a similar price range as the BDS he was comfortable with where I feel based on my experience with it, it's a good value lift mostly based off of the quality of shocks, springs, and rear track bar relocation bracket and includes bump stops as well and the fact that he was looking to fit 35s. Aside from myself on this forum, the only one I know who has experience with the Mopar 2in lift is Jadmt who added the Mopar 2in lift springs to his rig and seems to be pleased over his previous RK springs....I know, not saying much there.;) The Mopar 2in kit is a good base starting point kit which can benefit from some additional component upgrades to it, such as caster correction, track bars, and steering upgrades. Nothing wrong with the springs, shocks, and rear relocation bracket of the Mopar kit, especially if your main goal is a daily driver, weekend warrior rig....definitely not a rock crawler or over-landing recommendation. Metal Cloak is of course great as well, but was well outside the budget area he was considering. My suggestion for the Mopar kit is that it can be purchased in the $750-$800 range, add some Rancho Geo brackets to it for caster correction and then as budget allows, items such as a front track bar, and steering upgrades for the larger tires could be added later and he would get some good experience in the mean-time of getting a feel of what not having those components are like and feel the difference when/if they were added later.

Not on this forum but there's many of us running the Mopar 2in lift and have had great experience with it. Nice "shiny" Fox 2.0 performance series shocks. ;) Springs that haven't sagged or rusted over time, can handle some extra weight and it has good on road ride quality. The older Mopar 2.5in kits that were made by TF had some spring sag problems, but their more recent 2in kit have been completely re-designed in house and seems to be a winner, especially when you start taking prices into consideration.

I'm not a total Mopar fan boy but their 2in lift and their BBK I'll stand behind as including good quality parts and are very competitively priced with some of the higher end aftermarket alternative options.

I'll also add that I have a buddy at work who seemed to be a TF fanboy and had a higher end TF 3.5in lift on his JKU with 37s. He recently purchased a JLU, no recommendations from me but decided to go with the Mopar 2in lift for his JLU this time around, added some SteerSmart steering upgrades and recently came back from a Moab run and was describing to me and seemed almost ashamed to admit that he decided to go with the Mopar 2in lift for his JLU and how he felt the Mopar lift had exceeded his expectations on ride quality and performance while doing Moab, especially in comparison to his previous much higher priced TF kit on his JKU. I had to mention to him, "you realize I have the Mopar 2in lift on my JKU right?". ;)

TheDirtman 05-20-2019 04:38 AM

Yes, I read the other thread and he stated he was told BDS was a top kit.

I am glad you are happy with your kit. I still would not recommend it. Where do yo find the 2" kit for the $750-800 range? I see it for $1099 https://www.quadratec.com/products/16170_1022_07.htm With the Metal Cloak at $1359 that comes with a front adjustable track bar, a heavier rear track bar bracket, stackable adjustable bump stop pads, relocation brackets, and brake lines. That is way more value getting those components for $260 and you get a dual rate coil and longer travel shocks then you are getting with the Mopar kit. Comparing apple to apple I don't see the value or performance of the 2" Mopar kit as the Metal Cloak will give you a better ride and is not as expensive as people say.
Teraflex is junk IMO and the Mopar kit is likely an upgrade over their shit.

Rednroll 05-20-2019 05:00 AM

Well, Q-Tech aren't really known for having the best list prices but have been known to price match.

https://www.moparamerica.com/?p=cata...h_str=77070089

What I found out when I was shopping around for mine, is that many of the dealerships have an over the counter price and have also set up websites where you can order online where the price is often 30-40% off the over the counter price That Mopar America link I posted is one such example. It's actually a dealership. The dealerships have also been selling the Mopar kit on Amazon and Ebay as well, so much better prices there also. Some have actually gotten the Mopar 2in kit with the additional front 1310 Dana drive shaft and brake line extension brackets on Amazon in the $800-$900 price range. So definitely great deals can be found online. The dealerships have been doing this in an effort to better compete with online prices...but the guy who still goes into the dealership and orders parts over the counter will never see those discounted prices.

I was fortunate when I got mine, that one such of those dealerships who run the separate discount only site ended up being in my area. I had to do some homework in matching addresses up since their discount parts website and dealership websites are not the same, but I ordered the Mopar kit online, then selected local pickup and went into the dealership and picked it up over the counter.

Here's my receipt, showing what I paid for the Mopar 2in lift. Left me plenty of budget left over to add in separate caster correction, brake line extensions, and front HD adjustable trackbar.
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B9VL...lpWalg1TGlTOGc

Another story, but that $0.00 included purchase on the receipt is the AEV, Mopar rebranded front skid plate. :D

poesdad 05-20-2019 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rednroll (Post 4342409)
Well, Q-Tech aren't really known for having the best list prices but have been known to price match.

https://www.moparamerica.com/?p=cata...h_str=77070089

What I found out when I was shopping around for mine, is that many of the dealerships have an over the counter price and have also set up websites where you can order online where the price is often 30-40% off the over the counter price That Mopar America link I posted is one such example. It's actually a dealership. The dealerships have also been selling the Mopar kit on Amazon and Ebay as well, so much better prices there also. Some have actually gotten the Mopar 2in kit with the additional front 1310 Dana drive shaft and brake line extension brackets on Amazon in the $800-$900 price range. So definitely great deals can be found online. The dealerships have been doing this in an effort to better compete with online prices...but the guy who still goes into the dealership and orders parts over the counter will never see those discounted prices.

I was fortunate when I got mine, that one such of those dealerships who run the separate discount only site ended up being in my area. I had to do some homework in matching addresses up since their discount parts website and dealership websites are not the same, but I ordered the Mopar kit online, then selected local pickup and went into the dealership and picked it up over the counter.

Here's my receipt, showing what I paid for the Mopar 2in lift. Left me plenty of budget left over to add in separate caster correction, brake line extensions, and front HD adjustable trackbar.
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B9VL...lpWalg1TGlTOGc

Another story, but that $0.00 included purchase on the receipt is the AEV, Mopar rebranded front skid plate. :D

Shoot!!! I wonder if I could get it in Oregon cheaper without the taxes 😬

poesdad 05-20-2019 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4342391)
So that kit is about half the kit you need. No caster adjustment, no track bar adjustment. BDS is a made in China cheap lift that caters to bro trucks and gets little love from the jeep community.You are basically buying their coils and some junk hardware. I would bet the bump stops are too long as well for 35's as most of the cheaper companies just add as much bump stop as lift which is not the best way to size them.
Its your jeep and your money if you are set on that kit, buy it and live with what it is. I gave you recommendations in your other thread and stand by them. The Mopar kit you are asking about is alright and on the budget side of lifts. I would not recommend it but Redroll likes to push it as it is the kit he has.AS for me I build custom suspensions and set things up the way they should be to do what the owner wants out of the system. It is a system as well as so many parts interact with others and when you change one thing it will likely lead to another. If you are on limited budget then just keep the jeep the way it is instead of throwing good money at bad products.

I thought BDS was made in the states. Thanks for the help again.