Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much actual lift from BDS 3” ?

Old 05-20-2019, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by poesdad
Shoot!!! I wonder if I could get it in Oregon cheaper without the taxes ��
Doing a quick Google search on "Discount Mopar parts in Oregon". That's how I started. If something is located in that area, then it will show in the search results, then the website will typically have an address listed in their contact section. You then do a search on that address, and then you find the matching dealership address offering the online discount pricing and you would pick it up from the dealership to save on any shipping costs. That's the search path I used to find a discount online pricing Mopar dealership in my area. Order it online, pay online pricing, pickup locally to save on shipping costs.

Here's some searching I tried for you. These are all dealership online websites run by their Mopar parts department. You'll notice a common template webpage theme about them.

Oregon $880
https://www.makeitmoparparts.com/acc..._77070089.html

Here's the lowest I've found so far....Kansas dealership. $775
https://www.moparpartsforyourride.co...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

unsure of location: $775
https://www.factorypartsking.com/oem...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

It also may be worth contacting this seller on Ebay. They have the 2 door version listed for $800, free shipping, no tax. They're likely a dealership, and are likely drop shipping from a Mopar distribution center. I'ld contact them and ask if they can get P/N: 77070089 for you which is the 4 door version of the same kit. Just different rear shocks and springs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2011-J...gAAOSwjuBZm0CL

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-20-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Doing a more Apples to Apples comparison, this is the MetalCloak Rocksport kit with the same shiny Fox shocks. $1700. It's definitely a nice lift. Adds a front TB, brake line hoses, upper control arms for caster correction, and brake line extension brackets for an additional $900 over the Mopar kit. Definitely a good quality kit.
https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jk-wrang...x-edition.html

Unsure I'm able to see the strength increase in the MC rear TB relocation bracket. Both look like they're designed to also be used on their 3.5 and 4in lifts, so likely strong enough for heavier 37in tires and be able to handle 35s without a problem.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-20-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The Metalcloak runs down and braces on the rear lower control arm mount as well. Shiny parts aren't how kits should be bought. I have the Metalcloak, pieced together through the years and members, which has allowed me to spend the extra cash on steering upgrades.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The Metalcloak runs down and braces on the rear lower control arm mount as well. Shiny parts aren't how kits should be bought. I have the Metalcloak, pieced together through the years and members, which has allowed me to spend the extra cash on steering upgrades.
I really wasn't trying to piece things together by shiny parts. Dirtman mentioned you need to do an Apples to Apples comparison when comparing the value of 2 kits and I believe we all agree with that point. So if MetalCloak makes a kit which includes the same shocks as the Mopar kit and costs $400 more than their same kit without those same shocks, then it only seems logical which kits we should be looking at when it comes to comparing their values. I know you fellas are smarter than that and I'm just attempting to provide poesdad with factual information on the points being made and reduce any biases. I know I can purchase a pretty nice track bar, upper control arms or other means of caster correction such as the Rancho geo brackets which will provide a smoother ride and add some brake line extension brackets for well under $900 or I can put that additional cash savings in my pocket or put it towards steering or other upgrades as you mention.

I'm also unsure about the benefit of running the bracket brace to the rear lower control arm mount. It looks like that may add an unwanted point of potential damage to the bracket and/or control arm mounting bracket by putting the bracket support on the bottom side of the axle where there's more potential concern of clearance related damage. The Mopar bracket seems to put the bracket support around the axle tube with more support on the top side of the axle tube instead, thus more support overall and more of the bracket out of harms way. To the eye test the Mopar bracket looks a bit stronger to me as well but I think it's all a mute point since they both should work fine for 35s and raising that rear track bar up like it should be.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-21-2019 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I also don't believe the throw away Fox shock are any better then the Rocksport that are specked for that lift. All you are doing is paying for the Fox name and shiny shock body. Apples to apples is referring to components in the kit not the brand of any specific part.
I know you need to justify your purchase to everyone but being it is the only lift you have had, that kit is really is not a good recommendation vs others out there.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I also don't believe the throw away Fox shock are any better then the Rocksport that are specked for that lift. All you are doing is paying for the Fox name and shiny shock body. Apples to apples is referring to components in the kit not the brand of any specific part.
I know you need to justify your purchase to everyone but being it is the only lift you have had, that kit is really is not a good recommendation vs others out there.
That all very well could be true but we all know that brand names on shocks do bring perceived increased value. Thus, the reason the OP has been looking at kits but adding Bilstein 5100s to it and thus the reason MC is charging $400 more for the kit with the Fox shocks over their Rocksport shocks. Fox is a well respected and valued brand name. Afterall, isn't that exactly what you're doing when you recommend MetalCloak, you're adding extra perceived value based on experience and perceived name brand value but now when it comes to the shocks the same doesn't apply? I'm sure Costco's in house Kirkland branded tennis shoes are great and they may even be better quality than the Nike tennis shoes sitting next to them. Nobody is going to pay the same price for the Kirkland shoes as the Nike's so I'm really not agreeing with your Apples to Apples scenario in those regards.

Onto more productive things. I know you know a ton more than me on these things and have much more experience. Let's focus on comparing those rear track bar bracket designs. Let's take price out of the equation. If I was in the market strictly shopping for a rear track bar bracket and I had the choice between the MC or the Mopar which would you choose and why? I love me some MetalCloak but when I look at both of those rear track bar bracket designs with a critical eye, I really think the Mopar bracket looks like the better overall design. Yes, I'm asking you to try and set your name brand biases aside and compare the Kirkland (Mopar) to the Nike (MetalCloak) and critique each of their designs while attempting to ignore the brand names just as you requested with the shocks.

And afterall, you did mention the MC came with a heavier track bar bracket which I'm just not seeing.
Originally Posted by TheDirtman
a heavier rear track bar bracket.
When I look at them, the Mopar looks heavier to me and I'm thinking you may have just been not as familiar with the Mopar when you made that statement.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-21-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

MC, Teraflex, and Clayton offroad all have a very similar rear track bar mount, I know the MC one isent "adjustable as they make an adjustable track bar and i know the teraflex is adjustable. Im not to certain about the mopar version as no one local runs their lift and have never seen it in person.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DEJK2012
MC, Teraflex, and Clayton offroad all have a very similar rear track bar mount, I know the MC one isent "adjustable as they make an adjustable track bar and i know the teraflex is adjustable. Im not to certain about the mopar version as no one local runs their lift and have never seen it in person.
The MC bracket looks like it has two axle side track bar mounting holes. I'm assuming since they offer a 2.5 and 3.5 lift which uses the same bracket, each of those holes are used depending on if you get the 2.5in or 3.5in lift. Is that what you're referring to in regards to adjustable bracket? The bottom hole is for their 2.5in lift TB mounting and the top hole is for the 3.5in lift. I haven't looked at their install instructions but that's what makes sense to me for the purposes of the 2 mounting holes I'm seeing on the MC bracket.

The Mopar bracket does the same where the bottom hole is for their 2in lift TB mounting and the top is for their 4in lift TB mounting.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Metalcloak bracket is not adjustable, it's one height fits all. The top hole is tapered and the bottom isn't.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Almost looks like the designs are flipped, from the picture you provided. where does that other flat part connect to that going off to the right?

Quick Reply: How much actual lift from BDS 3” ?