Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much more capable is a 2.5/3" lifted/tired rubicon vs a stock lifted/tired rubi?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much more capable is a 2.5/3" lifted/tired rubicon vs a stock rubi?

This is something I have always wondered. Has anybody been on any trail rides and where able to see the comparison. I'm not interested in spending the money to lift and re-tire a rubi for looks.

Last edited by qwerty11; 06-25-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

A stock Rubi is an amazing beast.

It really depends on what you are looking to do.

Ground clearance really helped my '12 Sahara JKU get through more obstacles. Especially when it came to high-siding on sharp break over angles and rocks. Tire wise will also give you clearance, although the stock KMs on the Rubi are a fantastic off-road tire. You will gain some capability if you go to a taller, wider tire, but to me the difference traction wise would be negligible.

Your question is a subjective one. If you want a slight bit more clearance I would stick on a 1 inch spacer or a budget boost and keep your stock wheels and tires. Hope that helps.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qwerty11
This is something I have always wondered. Has anybody been on any trail rides and where able to see the comparison. I'm not interested in spending the money to lift and re-tire a rubi for looks.
It really does depend on what you intend to do offroad. If crawling over rocks it makes a good deal of difference as you need the clearance. The lift really just gives you the ability to run taller tires and the taller tires gives you the clearance go get over obsticles. I have a 12 Sahara and have a 3 & 1/2 inch lift with 35's and I can get over more than a stock rubi by a fair margin. Going though snow or mud it might not make much of a difference at all. That and it sure looks cool with a lift and larger tires
Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The break over angle of the Unlimiteds is pretty horrible stock. The only time Ive gotten mine stuck has been getting high centered. Other than that my Jeep has been pretty unstopable.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree!!!

I did a 2.5" lift to allow my open diff/Rubi 32's to articulate better with my short wheelbase JK X.

And while I COULD easily stuff more tire, and that comes with pros/cons, my jeep looks nice with a 2.5" and Rubi 32's and I am able to negotiate obsticals that impress even ME.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by qwerty11
This question can only be answered by you going on a trail and then see exactly where you need more clearance and/or bigger tire.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

I was just out with a group yesterday and we ended up stopping in a pit to play. My '12 Sahara Unlimited high centered on a couple of hills and shaved the top off a couple others. 2.5" lift and 35" tires are on the menu in the next 90 days.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

FYI I'm referring to a 2 door. I can see how a lift would really be a help with the stretched 4 door.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Back in may a couple guys and I went wheeling, the guy in front of me had 35's and a 4.5" lift. He cleared everything pretty easily. I on the other hand hit my rear diff twice on stuff he cleared. I also made good use of my skid plates where he didn't. I had 3.5" of lift and 33's. I now have 35's. The extra ground clearance you get from bigger tires helps a lot when you have stuff sitting in the middle of the trail with no way to put your tires on it.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

I have the OME LT 2.5" lift on stock tires, wheels great.
Eaton TrueTracs keep it hooked up if I do manage to get a tire off the ground.

I used to run 35" pro Comp MT's but found I can go through the same trails on stock BFG's just as well with the better flex.

Quick Reply: How much more capable is a 2.5/3" lifted/tired rubicon vs a stock lifted/tired rubi?