Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace the inner axle seal on your Dana 44 JK axle

Old 08-28-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace the inner axle seal on your Dana 44 JK axle

Recently my buddy broke his front axle and had to drive on it to get home. By doing this he damaged his inner axle seal so we had to replace it. Installing the new seal can be very tricky, a special tool can be used to make it easy but the cost is around $70 and it can be very hard to find.

We found using 1 1/2" socket with a 1/2 inch drive (non-impact thin wall) works perfect for pressing the seal in. After removing the shafts you can use long extensions to reach through the axle tube to get a straight and direct hit on the seal. We used a Sk brand socket part# 40148. Good luck!

Last edited by johnnyj33p; 08-29-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

By the way the socket was about $20
Old 08-29-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by johnnyj33p
We found using 1 1/2" socket with a 1/2 inch drive (non-impact thin wall) works perfect for pressing the seal in.
I made this after trying to find the tool.

About 7 bucks in parts. With the socket method, you take the chance of bending the new seal.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy

About 7 bucks in parts. With the socket method, you take the chance of bending the new seal.
Looks good, nice job
Old 08-30-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

wow i didn't even think of this when i broke mine last week. drove home on it and replaced the shafts my self, didn't even think about the inner seal. nothings leaking so i think im good, but this will get me to keep and eye on it now.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy

How does this thing work, and does anybody have the size of the parts?
Old 10-06-2020, 02:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default Seal tool

Hi mate would you be able to tell me what the parts list is for this tool.I would really appreciate it.Cheers and all the best to you.

About 7 bucks in parts. With the socket method, you take the chance of bending the new seal.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-06-2020, 03:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbo1966
Hi mate would you be able to tell me what the parts list is for this tool.I would really appreciate it.Cheers and all the best to you.
That member hasn't been active in the last 6.5 years, so don't expect a response. It's just simple all thread, bolts and washers there you should be able to piece together at your local hardware store. You really need to have a seal on hand so that you can pick a big washer that is going to fit the seal perfectly and that is what will actually be pressing it in place. I've always used an actual press every time I've had to change seals. It's been a worthwhile tool to have on hand and when I'm tired of looking at it I'll be able to sell it for about what I paid for it, which was around $100-$120 if I recall (years ago).
Old 10-06-2020, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I bought all of the washers and thread to make the tool.....then used the real tool and there is no substitute. I had local "jeep mobile mechanics" try to recommend that folks just do the washer method but the reality is that you're much better off with the correct tool. The tool will install new and old style seals (which I can attach pictures later). The new style seals aren't listed for the older models but I've got the new style (2016 is the year I reference are the dealer) on my 2010 and even though they don't show as compatible, they absolutely fit and work better. They're $47/ ea at the dealer, something like $10 at Quadratec.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I've had the Mopar press sitting in the garage for a couple years now. There have been at least 2 times in the last 2 months I've considered selling it.....but I know as soon as I do, I'll blow a seal. So it sits......and I consider it insurance that my seals will continue to live longer.

Quick Reply: How to replace the inner axle seal on your Dana 44 JK axle