Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to rotate rear axle along longitudinal axis?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to rotate rear axle along longitudinal axis?

I am trying to set the wheels on the rear axle in the center of the wheel wells. I want to do this by setting the rear upper & lower CA lengths. I was hoping to use a jack as the device for rotating the axle, much like is described in the write ups on this forum for setting caster on the front axles. On the front axles you can place the jack on the CA mounts, to get the axle to rotate, but on the rear the CA mounts are different and I can't see how you can safely place a jack on the rear CA mounts.

My question is at what points do you jack the rear axle at to get it to rotate clockwise or counterclockwise. Or better yet, how do you locate the rear wheels in the center of the rear wheels well?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

i used the floor jack underneath the pinion on the housing and lifted slowly into position, so that the pinion angles up towards the transfer case. not sure if that's what your hoping to accomplish.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monty-
i used the floor jack underneath the pinion on the housing and lifted slowly into position, so that the pinion angles up towards the transfer case. not sure if that's what your hoping to accomplish.
Thanks for the reply.

So the jack was secure enuf at the pinion to allow you to lift the axle without the jack slipping?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

i had the axle on jackstands and then just used the floor jack underneath the pinion. i had no trouble with this method but i only had adj upper arms to install.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monty-
i had the axle on jackstands and then just used the floor jack underneath the pinion. i had no trouble with this method but i only had adj upper arms to install.
Thanks.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepyJeep
Thanks.
HTH. just be careful not to get the floor jack too close to the d/s. it didn't seem to take a whole lot of pressure by lifting so i wasn't worried about it slipping off. good luck.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also keep the frame supported by the jackstands, put your floor jack under the diff and then use the Jeep's jack to manipulate the pinion. Takes a little more time, but it's a safer way of doing it.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

I used jack stands under the frame, a floor jack under the differential and hydraulic jack on the pinion. The jack on the pinion doesn't end up having to much load on it. Makes is possible to get your angle right on.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seer1
You can also keep the frame supported by the jackstands, put your floor jack under the diff and then use the Jeep's jack to manipulate the pinion. Takes a little more time, but it's a safer way of doing it.
Originally Posted by madmax2
I used jack stands under the frame, a floor jack under the differential and hydraulic jack on the pinion. The jack on the pinion doesn't end up having to much load on it. Makes is possible to get your angle right on.
So sounds like I'll need two jacks, since I got rid of jack that came with Jeep, it's off to auto parts store.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: How to rotate rear axle along longitudinal axis?