Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hub centric or lug centric which one is it?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will agree to disagree.

After some thought, this debate really serves no purpose because if you use spacers then your wheel instantly becomes lug centric because it is mating to a flat surface and if you purchase aftermarket wheels they will also be lug centric because most use a generic opening to fit numerous vehicles with the same bolt pattern. Very few are designed specifically for one vehicles. So really what difference does it make.

Last edited by IGOFSHN; 03-09-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually alot. Hubcentric wheel spacers not only have a bore of specific size but also have a 'hub' the very same size. So while the spacer is hubcentric to the hub, the wheel is hubcentric to the spacer. Again, the lugs do not support the weight. And as for aftermarket wheels, most do in fact have a larger hub bore that is 'sized' by using hubcentric adapter rings. Some adapter rings are plastic and I'm not a big fan of using plastic rings (although they do a fine job of centering the wheel for lug tightening) but usually you can find billet rings that will do that trick.

I still haven't popped off a tire to check to see if the steelies are hubcentric but I'd bet they are.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
...if you use spacers then your wheel instantly becomes lug centric because it is mating to a flat surface...
Wrong again. WHS-010 are machined to be hub centric to the wheel also.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 AM
mlg
JK Newbie

Does anyone know the size of the stock hubs? I would like to mount my Cragar soft 8s, but I want to buy hub rings to center them (i don't know the hub size of the wheel either). Some sizes are listed here: http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp
Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

AKAIK, hubrings won't work on steelies. The hub has to be stamped to the specific size.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:26 PM
mlg
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DeezUU
AKAIK, hubrings won't work on steelies. The hub has to be stamped to the specific size.
Can I still run the wheels or will I break a lug stud?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well the Crager Soft 8's have a 3.3" center bore, nota4re says the hub is 2.8"
I found an online conversion and here is what I came up with:

3.3071 84.0000mm Crager Center Bore

2.7953 71.0000mm \
2.8346 72.0000mm / Closest match for Center bore.

I don't see a match on http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp

I have no idea wether or not you can use them on steelies or not even if they did fit.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mlg
Can I still run the wheels or will I break a lug stud?
There are lots of people running steel wheels on Jeeps. I have never heard of one falling off due to it not being hubcentric. Before aluminum wheels started showing up on new cars they were all steel. I never heard of problem with those either.

Quick Reply: Hub centric or lug centric which one is it?