Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am building a roof rack, any suggestions or ideas?

Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am building a roof rack, any suggestions or ideas?

I am home building a roof rack and i really like the Gobi racks but don't wanna drop 1200 on one, so i need ideas and maybe pics of some. How they are built and stuff. And i wanna stay away from drilling in my metal, thats why i like the Gobi...all bolt on
Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to do the same thing. I'm gonna start with your standard, run of the mill roof rack (free from my brother...), and build the arms and supports off that. I'm going to have it mount to the same place on the windshielf frame that my light brackets do, and in the back i'll have it bolt on to the bumper at the sides. Sorry no pics or anything...
Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just glue together some PVC.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure if it'd work because of hard-top flex (or a soft top leaks), but I think making one that mounts THROUGH the roof onto the roll-cage would be neato.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some guy build a mrpb (sp?) roof rack clone which bolts onto your hardtop. The bolts go through the hardtop to the inside which would have support going down to where your fenders are and bolted on. The entire rack was made form tubing I believe. It was for his girlfriends jeep or something I think. Im too lazy to find the post but it was real nice but he looked like a professional fabricator with a lot of tools so...... It was real nice and probably the best ive seen. if any one can find this post please attach the link eh???
Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Yea i seen that one your talkin bout Metaulic, bout i was wanting to just bolt it on like CitadelJeep04 said... i have a couple pics i have already got off the forum but i was wanting some more detailed ones.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you can go down to the bumper or the frame like the GOBI rack, i think that would be the best way without cutting or drilling more into the hardtop or the body.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noot
Not sure if it'd work because of hard-top flex (or a soft top leaks), but I think making one that mounts THROUGH the roof onto the roll-cage would be neato.
You mean one like this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5415s.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	38281  
Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK lovr
Yea i seen that one your talkin bout Metaulic, bout i was wanting to just bolt it on like CitadelJeep04 said... i have a couple pics i have already got off the forum but i was wanting some more detailed ones.
agreed, I really like the hardtop mounted one, but it is useful only with the hardtop on...where as if you build one that mounts to windshield framing and rear bumper you have versatility to use it with soft top too
Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 PM
JK Freak

i thought the hard tops were very weak and fragile.

would it shatter the top when weight is added

Quick Reply: I am building a roof rack, any suggestions or ideas?