Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ideas on interior door lock security without any top on.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ideas on interior door lock security without any top on.

Pretty new to the whole jeep thing, and slowly but surely hoping to build it up in time.

question : I'd like to either disable the door locks from the inside. Reason being is that I would rather not have people able to reach their hand around the roll bar and be able to unlock the doors like that. Getting a cargo net for extra piece of mind with the top off(live next to malibu so the top isn't going back on for a while if ever....so yeah thought that would be cool, I don't even think I use them in the first place...I do have key-less entry so I'd like to keep that going if possible.

other idea was somehow make a cover for them so it's impossible to get to them unless you are in the pass/drivers seat..

I know this is very random but I had to ask all the same.

PS anyone in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area? I'd love some tips and tricks in order to get these front turn signal LED lights that I hooked up. When the lights are off they don't light up or anything....when I turn the nights on, both signals turn on, but when I go use them as a turn signal only one flashes....maybe cheap ebay lights are to blame....already put resisters but not 100% sure I did it right, pretty much followed step by step what I saw online.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

The keys to top off, and avoiding theft is to ensure you don't leave any valuables inside and make sure you have insurance. Disabling the locks from the inside is typically a bad idea because it becomes a safety hazard. If the locks are unlocked from the inside, and then the doors get opened, the alarm will go off until the key is inserted into the ignition. However, it's easy enough to achieve what you want by just unplugging the wire harnesses that connect to the doors if that will make you feel safer. They're the same ones you would unplug if you were going to take the doors off and ride around doorless. That will disable the electrical power locks, where you could just use your key to lock/unlock the doors.

I can't help with your LED turn signals.
The following users liked this post:
Wandell (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

- If you mean disable the button that triggers the locks, then someone can just manurally flip the lock lever.
- If you mean the manual lock lever, someone could just pull the door handle lever.
- If you mean disabling all of that….no way, major safety concerns as Rednroll already mentioned.

I don’t like the idea at all. If you are going to drive around with no top, you need to approach it like this…..nothing is safe. You don’t leave anything in the jeep that you would be pissed off if it was stolen. Get a lock box for under the seat and use it for anything you want to leave in….maybe sunglasses or whatnot. Part of having a jeep and taking doors and tops off (or even just having a soft top), is realizing nothing is safe, and that is the tradeoff. You adjust your lifestyle. Don’t kid yourself with wasting money on cargo nets. They will keep a dog in maybe, they won’t keep thieves out. People will just cut a net just like they will cut a soft top or a convertible top.

When you lock the doors and arm the jeep, if someone reaches in and opens the door, the alarm will sound. That is as good as you can hope for. If you want security, either build a trunk for the cargo area, or look at the Tuffy cargo storage compartment. Once locked/armed, the tailgate will not open without the keyfob. Even if someone reaches in and unlocks the doors, the tailgate will remain locked until you unlock with the fob.

Originally Posted by Rednroll
However, it's easy enough to achieve what you want by just unplugging the wire harnesses that connect to the doors if that will make you feel safer. They're the same ones you would unplug if you were going to take the doors off and ride around doorless. That will disable the electrical power locks, where you could just use your key to lock/unlock the doors.
Maybe I'm not understanding the this part of your comment, but if you unplug the harness, 1) someone can just flip the lever manually, or pull the door handle instead, and 2) you'd be disabling the alarm from sounding if the door was open....or at least I think you'd be as the computer wouldn't know if the door is open or not.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Like resharp001 and Rednroll said. I have a lockbox under the driver seat that I keep anything I don't want stolen.

Some folks have installed alarms with a proximity sensor... I'm not a fan, but perhaps this may help you.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...y-alarm-67831/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...ensors-154934/
Old 06-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Maybe I'm not understanding the this part of your comment, but if you unplug the harness, 1) someone can just flip the lever manually, or pull the door handle instead, and 2) you'd be disabling the alarm from sounding if the door was open....or at least I think you'd be as the computer wouldn't know if the door is open or not.
You're right, I forgot what I was originally thinking. I was probably just focusing on the electronic door locks for some reason.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Locks keep honest people honest. Nothing more.

I run half doors and a bikini top pretty much all the time, like 99.999% all the time. I've never had a full top on my Jeep all the time.. For piece of mind, I lock the doors just so someone walking by can't pop a door easily. I've got an underseat locker which I rarely use, but can stow a pistol in if I'm not carrying into an establishment for some reason. Other than that, the center console locks, but I'm sure could be torn open if someone wanted to get in there, as does the glovebox. If somebody really wants something, they'll find a way, and as suggested above, don't leave anything in the Jeep that can't be insured/replaced.

The behind the seat trunk suggestion is a good one as well. A buddy has one that seems pretty secure, but it has limitations as well. All you have to do is make it more difficult than the next vehicle and they'll lose interest in most cases.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

My approach has been:

Leave nothing valuable inside, and leave the doors unlocked if you have a mesh top or soft top and are parking in a bad area for more than a few hours. Why? Your mesh top or soft top will deter nobody, you'll just be left with the bill for a new one after they cut it open. If someone is determined to get in, they'll find a way regardless...might as well make it easy for them so they don't damage anything in the process. If I'm just parking on the street for a short period of time, and the top is down but the doors are on, then I'll just roll the windows up and lock/activate the alarm. I actually removed my rear seats a while ago and built a storage box with multiple compartments and pull out drawers. I added a coded lock where I'll throw valuables (iPad, Mac, firearms, etc.) when the Jeep is naked, and the rear drawers allow me to carry tools and recovery gear for the trail.

I've parked my Jeep all over D.C. (including Southeast) with the top and doors off, and have never had anybody tamper with anything. I also have the basic radio, not the fancy touch screen head unit...so I'm not even sure why they'd be excited to get in. The 6 speed is also a nice theft deterrent.

Stickers and LED lights don't help your cause either. My Jeep has no Yeti, Sig Sauer or HK stickers, or fancy shmancy LED lights and a SPOD. That just screams, "hey! I spent $300 on a cooler and $800 on a handgun, come check out the other sweet sh*t in my Jeep that you might like!"

Last edited by BoraBora; 06-15-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
The 6 speed is also a nice theft deterrent.
Write in cursive and drive a manual vehicle. Millennial kryptonite.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
Write in cursive and drive a manual vehicle. Millennial kryptonite.
Millennial here: can confirm. We can't even read cursive anymore, and not a single one of my friends can drive a manual. Sad :/
Old 06-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yeah, best deterrent is park next to that guy with all of the stickers. My vehicle looks plain Jane and there's a good reason for it. Other than that, like others have said- leave nothing of value in it. I do leave a small handful of change in the cup holder and a half empty water bottle on the floor board....all the more reason to pass me up. The tools that reside in the jeep are $12 from Walmart, please take them if that's what you need to get through your day.

Quick Reply: ideas on interior door lock security without any top on.