Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if you had a little over a grand .....

Old 12-21-2016, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if you had a little over a grand .....

what should be your first modification?

bumpers? lighting? skid plates? lift?

sorry a bit new , that's the budget for the next few months , want to make the right call

thanks

paul
Old 12-21-2016, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Headlights, a mod that will benefit you under all circumstances. The other stuff only benefits off-road. And if you have been off-roading then you would likely know what you needed most, so I'm guessing you haven't been or really might not need that other stuff.

Last edited by Biginboca; 12-21-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

got gotta be the one to decide what is important for your use.

Without knowing that, I'd say lift and tires.

Bumpers and lighting -- can be very cheap or expensive, depends on your type and brand choice.

Skid plates -- you will know if need them, and if need then they will be essential.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

That is a really tough one, cuz unfortunately $1k doesn't stretch all that far on a jeep. I think I'd start with some tires, then hit bumpers next. Odds are that you likely won't get your money's worth out of skids or lighting yet unless you want to look at some decent headlights that will be used daily. Also, if you address bumpers right now prior to tires, might look a little wonky??? IDK, to each their own in that regard. When you start getting in to suspension, you're not going to get very far on $1k.....cuz there's so much to address to do it right. At least with tires you can throw some on there and not really be traveling down a rabbit hole.....and it will instantly start changing the look of the jeep. Just my 2c.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

You have gotta be the one to decide what is important for your use.

Without knowing that, I'd say lift and tires.

Bumpers and lighting -- can be very cheap or expensive, depends on your type and brand choice.

Skid plates -- you will know if need them, and if need then they will be essential.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

As others have said, personal preference and how you are going to use it.

That being said, if it was my money it would go to rock sliders and tires first.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

I did an eagle eye nose $100, led headlights for $150, rubicon rock sliders (take offs I found on Craigslist) got those for $100.

You could mod/cut your fenders for free and make some DIY high clearance ones.

$650 left in the supposed budget, could probably find yourself some bumpers or even buy a inexpensive lift kit....

Lots can be done with $1000
Old 12-21-2016, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of JK do you have? You might be surprised at what even a base model, stock JK is capable of. Post a pic if you can.

What do you want to do with your JK? Daily driver? Mall Crawler? Off road? Cruising the strip? Tow behind an RV?

Answering those two questions (as honestly as you possibly can) will help you identify what you are lacking, and separate "need" from "want", as well as save you a lot of $$$ and time.

All things being equal, I think tires are the single most significant thing you can do to a Jeep to modify it's performance and looks to your preferences. You can take any old, mild mannered Jeep, put some awesome tires on it, and it's a whole new beast.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1K won't go far at all. I think we need to know what you plan on doing with the Jeep and If it's your Toy or if it's a daily driver...

Can't go wrong with headlights...or a winch IMO
Old 12-21-2016, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK with $1000 to spend:

1st - LED Headlights and interior lights (SH*# all lighting)

2nd - Tear out the rugs (flooring) and go with Bed Tred or Bed Rug (all Jeeps leak)

3rd - GOOD Seat covers (might have to add a few dollars) Trek Armor

Just my opinion

Quick Reply: if you had a little over a grand .....