Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if you had a little over a grand .....

Old 12-21-2016, 09:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My strong advice would be to figure out what you want to do with your build long term so that you spend your money wisely along the way. Hit up a few of the major vendors and dig through their websites and catalogues. See what catches your imagination.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first 3 mods were:

1. LED Headlights - $400
2. Spiderweb Shade - $100
3. CB Radio - $150

Then I started ordering stuff for my lift
Old 12-22-2016, 12:30 AM
JK Newbie

Default thanks everyone- i think i have the direction i need !

I appreciate the help

paul
Old 12-22-2016, 12:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have a sport the biggest improvement will be in tires. If you have money left the headlights on jks are very poor like was already said.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

I did a bit of convenience stuff as my first purchases. Led headlights, led fogs, led turns/markers, grab handles, dead pedal, door entry guards, and armrest pad to list a few.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by westchester

Without knowing that, I'd say lift and tires.
If there is a lift and a set of tires that you can get new for $1,000, don't.

As mentioned frequently, you have to figure out your end game and work to it. No sense in buying 33's when you want to add a lift next and go to 37's for example. I'm a big fan of pay once, cry once. As sad as it seems, $1,000 won't get you very far in the Jeep world most likely, unless you get lucky and start finding takeoffs from someone who kept buying and changing their mind.

Figure out what you want to to, then start chipping away at it. The factory bumpers are junk, as are the lights. Start with a front bumper if money is burning a hole. Rock sliders are essential if you're going to be going off the beaten path, as are skids.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know with a new Jeep you're dying to do some mods but like others have said the best approach is to figure out your long term plan and intended use. No sense wasting money now to spend more to redo it later. With that being said if you're looking at a mild build then a spacer lift can be had for a couple hundred bucks and give you 2" of lift. Unfortunately unless you buy used I don't see how you can get 5 tires for even $1000. So save the balance until the budget allows for tires. This is the order I would do it in. After lift and tires:
- winch
- soft doors
- compressor
- bumpers
- etc...........
Old 12-22-2016, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep801
Unfortunately unless you buy used I don't see how you can get 5 tires for even $1000.
Somebody forgot to post the part, at least in this thread, where they won 5 new tires.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-tires-339186/

Going forward, just a suggestion, put all the information in one thread with what you're looking to do. When you start 15 threads, you'll quickly end up getting ignored.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Default ah ok got it- thankfully only put out 2 threads....

Originally Posted by jordy
Somebody forgot to post the part, at least in this thread, where they won 5 new tires.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-tires-339186/

Going forward, just a suggestion, put all the information in one thread with what you're looking to do. When you start 15 threads, you'll quickly end up getting ignored.
but the suggestions are good ones. as the rest of the budget is the same..
Old 12-22-2016, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by praack
but the suggestions are good ones. as the rest of the budget is the same..
The key is the plan with some added patience or you're going to blow your budget 100 times over. I've seen posts, and I don't know if it was this place, or other ones, where people wanted a $1,400 rear bumper and tire swing, but only had $800, so they were going to buy a bumper that everyone told them was a piece of chinese made shit, until they could afford the $1,400 bumper.

The logic in that operation was lost on me as that's a huge step backwards, but I'm not that smrat.

Quick Reply: if you had a little over a grand .....