Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install time and difficulty for the TeraFlex 2.5" lift

Old 02-16-2007, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install time and difficulty for the TeraFlex 2.5" lift

There is a lot of threads about which lift with which tires and which lift is the best, but what I am looking for is information on how long it takes to install the 2.5" TeraFlex Budget Boost with shock extensions and the difficulty level. I would also like to know if you have to have an alignment, steering wheel adjustment, etc. with this lift. I do my own wrenching, but this lift stuff is all new to me. I have read enough to decide that I want 2-2/5" boost and use the stock shocks, so this lift looks like it is well made. Thanks for the help!
Jim
Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question.

this will likely be the route i go as well.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

My neighbor and I completed mine in one evening. If you disconnect the track bar, remove the shocks and get your frame high enough off the ground, you can do it without a spring compressor. We had a compressor and did use it on the front. It takes about 3 - 4 hours, is not difficult to do, requires floor jacks and jack stands, and standard tools.
You will need to center your steering wheel, which is a 5 minute job and I would recommend you get an alignment done. Mine was not out of align, but from past experience, you might need to get it tweeked.
Any other questions you have on this particular lift, let me know. I did mine about 3 weeks ago.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jameswharton
There is a lot of threads about which lift with which tires and which lift is the best, but what I am looking for is information on how long it takes to install the 2.5" TeraFlex Budget Boost with shock extensions and the difficulty level. I would also like to know if you have to have an alignment, steering wheel adjustment, etc. with this lift. I do my own wrenching, but this lift stuff is all new to me. I have read enough to decide that I want 2-2/5" boost and use the stock shocks, so this lift looks like it is well made. Thanks for the help!
Jim
If you do it by yourself, and you're unfamiliar, I'd say plan on 5-6 hours. It could probably be done in 2 hours start to finish by someone who has done one or two already.

Difficulty level is really not bad at all. As long as you're familiar with working on cars and have a decent set of tools, I think you could do it.

The front end is a PITA due to the way the springs fit over the bump-stops. A set of coil-spring compressors would be very helpful. Get the kind that fit outside the springs, not inside.

-E
Old 02-16-2007, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys, you have been a great help! I was thinking of hiring it done but they want like $350.00 labor at an Jeep offroad shop that put lifts on all the time. I might like the gratification of doing it myself, got all the tools except spring compressors.
Jim
Old 02-16-2007, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jameswharton
Thanks guys, you have been a great help! I was thinking of hiring it done but they want like $350.00 labor at an Jeep offroad shop that put lifts on all the time. I might like the gratification of doing it myself, got all the tools except spring compressors.
Jim
I borrowed a set from my local auto-parts store, most have them to loan. Not really something you need often enough to buy.

-E
Old 02-16-2007, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the spring compresser we got from autozone would not work. The threaded bar was too long to get into the spring, so we ended just undoing the tie rods, and dropping the axles....It was very easy. took us about 6 hours start to finish, I think I could do again in 3 now that know how everything works. hint.... wear some knee pads, I did not and my kness were killing me the next day. Make sure you have a 2 sets of jack stands

alignment is needed (for me anyway) mine wanders all over the road, but the guy at the local shop said an alignment will cure that.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

mine took about 7 hours

i took my time and took lots of beer brakes

i didnt have to disconnect the track bars

the biggest pain was, the front coils, i didnt lift the jeep high enough for them to drop out

Quick Reply: Install time and difficulty for the TeraFlex 2.5" lift