Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation of Fox Steering Stabilizer

Old 10-02-2017, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation of Fox Steering Stabilizer

Hey all...hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I thought this would be something I would be able to install by myself. However, when I attempted I realized that the orientation of the new fox steering stabilizer appears to be opposite to the one that is currently installed. I believe I am missing the necessary brackets for installation.

The local dealer installed my lift in August and figured that surely they would be able to assist. WRONG!!!! They tried to tell me that the steering stabilizer was for the 4" lift not the " lift that I have. As far as I am aware there is no lift height requirement for steering stabilizers.

If anyone could offer some suggestions, I would be extremely grateful!!

Attached below is currently what is on the jeep for reference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_175226.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	675216Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_175237.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	675217Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9302.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	675218
Old 10-02-2017, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You would be correct, lift height has nothing to do with the steering stabilizer. Not sure what issue you have an the orientation? The shaft should turn free to allow you to mount it in different positions.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Something wrong with your current steering stablilzer? As Dirtman already said, SS has nothing to do with lift height. LOL, dealers never cease to surprise me with their stupidity. When it comes to steering stabilizers, there are a couple schools of thought out there. I'm in the camp of the cheapest things possible is all you need. Honestly, if the jeep is lifted properly with geometric angles correctly set, you can drive it all day long without a SS and never even notice it's gone. Double SS's, fancy Fox SS's and such are just pricey eye candy that isn't really necessary. Yes, you'll need a fancy clamp for the TR end for your FOX, and it will install reverse orientation of what you currently have on the jeep. Unless there's a problem, I'd leave what you have on there and sell the FOX.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Which Fox stabilizer did you buy? Is your tie rod stock or aftermarket?

If you had the ATS, it may be that either the wrong size tie rod clamp was provided, or they didn't realize that the the stabilizer reservoir canbe rotated, which is required for lower lifts.

From the ATS install manual.

If installing stabilizer on2012 and newer model with stocksuspension or with less than a 2.5’’lift and aftermarket 1 1/4’’ bump stopextension, the stabilizer reservoir mustbe rotated for clearance. Loosenpinch bolt on L-bracket betweenstabilizer and track bar clamp, rotatereservoir approximately 135 degreesdown and toward rear of vehicle.
I do my own work, so I am not sure how to communicate that to them.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

New one went on fine using the Fox steering stabilizer track bar bolt. Used existing brackets. Thanks for your help guys! Much appreciated!!

Quick Reply: Installation of Fox Steering Stabilizer