JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Installing Rough Country 2.5" Sway Disconnect kit...HELP!!!!! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/installing-rough-country-2-5-sway-disconnect-kit-help-312425/)

cdown16 10-25-2014 05:50 AM

Installing Rough Country 2.5" Sway Disconnect kit...HELP!!!!!

4 Attachment(s)
I am super frustrated with this RC product thus far. An hour install time MAX, is turning into way longer. I purchased the Sway bar quick disconnect end links for a 2.5" lift.

1st problem: I talked to RC regarding the diameter of the actual quick disconnect bolt being slightly larger than the stock bolt, resulting in me having to actually hollow out my frame bracket hole to accommodate (which I think is BS that I had to do this). I mean, the kit is for a JK...I have a 2012 JKU. Why am I having to do this if this is a bolt on kit? Crazy. :crazyeyes:

2nd problem: I read in the instructions that I am to make the end links 10" from end to end. I screwed the end link pieces together as far as they go and they still measure 10.25". So yeah, not sure how to make the quarter inch disappear? :thinking:

3rd problem: So to bolt these on to the Jeep, I notice that my sway bar has to be tilted extremely high, practically up by the coil. Does that seem right? The length from the stock end link to the RC end links are quite different, so to accommodate that the sway bar has to be swiveled as high as it can go.

Please, if anyone can assist me so I can get these bolted on, I would appreciate it. Here are some pics.

Attachment 581516Attachment 581517Attachment 581518Attachment 581519

jadmt 10-25-2014 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by cdown16 (Post 4001864)
I am super frustrated with this RC product thus far. An hour install time MAX, is turning into way longer. I purchased the Sway bar quick disconnect end links for a 2.5" lift.

1st problem: I talked to RC regarding the diameter of the actual quick disconnect bolt being slightly larger than the stock bolt, resulting in me having to actually hollow out my frame bracket hole to accommodate (which I think is BS that I had to do this). I mean, the kit is for a JK...I have a 2012 JKU. Why am I having to do this if this is a bolt on kit? Crazy. :crazyeyes:

2nd problem: I read in the instructions that I am to make the end links 10" from end to end. I screwed the end link pieces together as far as they go and they still measure 10.25". So yeah, not sure how to make the quarter inch disappear? :thinking:

3rd problem: So to bolt these on to the Jeep, I notice that my sway bar has to be tilted extremely high, practically up by the coil. Does that seem right? The length from the stock end link to the RC end links are quite different, so to accommodate that the sway bar has to be swiveled as high as it can go.

Please, if anyone can assist me so I can get these bolted on, I would appreciate it. Here are some pics.

Attachment 581516Attachment 581517Attachment 581518Attachment 581519

looks like in the first photo you have AEV swaybar link extension brackets which would make your 2.5" RC swaybar links =to 4.5" so remove those and you will probably be good. not sure if you are measuring correctly on the link but measure center of stud to center of hole not over all length.

cdown16 10-25-2014 06:48 AM

Totally is an AEV bracket. Thanks so much!!

jadmt 10-25-2014 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by cdown16 (Post 4001882)
Totally is an AEV bracket. Thanks so much!!

go give a dollar to a homeless person.

Zach17 10-25-2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 4001884)
go give a dollar to a homeless person.

Legitimately "loled" when I read this

Billbikes 10-26-2014 06:38 AM

I wouldn't get too caught up with the 10" measurement. The sway bar should sit slightly above level when connected. So 10.25" should not be a problem.