Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing winch tomorrow...any wiring tips?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing winch tomorrow...any wiring tips?

Installing a Warn winch mount plate (still uses stock bumper) + a Warn8000 winch tomorrow. The mount plate has great directions Any "tips" for wiring up the winch would be super, though. Thanks. BTW, was gong to use red locktite on the mount plate bolts. Good idea or not?
Old 11-02-2007, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the plate, its pretty good!

As far as wiring the winch... I recommend mounting the winch and solonoid (sp?) first then run the wires through the engine bay and hook them up on the winch side. Then hook them to the battery last
Old 11-02-2007, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

I am no expert but I installed my epi 9.0 superwinch last week on my jk and I mounted everything first and then ran my wires through my grill and went behind the radiator then ran them back up along the side by the air filter box and then to the battery. It was a very easy install.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Schantin
Installing a Warn winch mount plate (still uses stock bumper) + a Warn8000 winch tomorrow. The mount plate has great directions Any "tips" for wiring up the winch would be super, though. Thanks. BTW, was gong to use red locktite on the mount plate bolts. Good idea or not?
I recently added a winch as well. I wish I had installed a cut off switch between the battery and the winch in case of a short. a regular battery cut off switch will work. I am going to add one to mine, right at the battery..
are you using the stock bumper? There is a photo of mine on the jk photo link . I think it turned out good the raw edges of the bumper cuts are covered with wiring split loom siliconed in place. as far as the Locktite I am not sure good or bad I used nyloc nuts to keep them from backing off..Good Luck....
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default Here is what I did

I went a little different way. I started with the thought that I wanted what looked like a stock front end. Click image for larger version

Name:	with plate down .jpg
Views:	479
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	4011 (the area that looks like a dent on the bottom of the grill is just the flash) and wanted the easy excess with the plate up but didn't want the solenoid blocking the radiator
Click image for larger version

Name:	with plate up.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	4012 so I moved the solenoid beside the battery Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoid mount.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	4013. I just opened the solenoid replace the wires with battery cables from an auto part store that were the right lenth and ran a 4 wire trailer wire set (pulled one wire off) to the grill cover. I used both ends of the trailer hook up behind the grill to make future removal of the grill easier.

Let me know what you thick

Last edited by roddogg; 11-02-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

A disconnect switch for the positive winch wire at the battery is a great idea. It will need to be properly rated. It can also give you a quick way to disconnect the winch wiring in the event of a failure while it is in use.

I route the positive cable inside a heater hose. It helps prevent damage to the positive cable from rubbing. If you use plastic zip ties use the black UV stabilized ones. The white or translucent ones will fail in short order even under the hood.

Enjoy your winch.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by adaycj
A disconnect switch for the positive winch wire at the battery is a great idea. It will need to be properly rated. It can also give you a quick way to disconnect the winch wiring in the event of a failure while it is in use.
An 8mm socket works just as well....what kind of failure would give you the idea to put your hand anywhere near any kind of quick diconnect?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roddogg
I went a little different way. I started with the thought that I wanted what looked like a stock front end. Attachment 4011 (the area that looks like a dent on the bottom of the grill is just the flash) and wanted the easy excess with the plate up but didn't want the solenoid blocking the radiator
Attachment 4012 so I moved the solenoid beside the battery Attachment 4013. I just opened the solenoid replace the wires with battery cables from an auto part store that were the right lenth and ran a 4 wire trailer wire set (pulled one wire off) to the grill cover. I used both ends of the trailer hook up behind the grill to make future removal of the grill easier.

Let me know what you thick
I like the solenoid location. I installed the Warn bumper support mount yesterday and the winch. Wasn't too impressed with either. The support looks great, but the mount that replaces the factory tow hooks didn't align right with the winch plate on the driver side. I had everything loose, adjusted a good 20+ times, even removed and reinstalled the entire bumper. No change. Flat out didn't line up. So, I have no rear mount bolts installed till I use a dremel and oval out the mount plate bolts a 1/16 of an inch. The kit was also missing one of the rear plate mount bolts too!

As for the winch. Bolted right in w/ no problems, but it had a huge gounge in the finish on the motor side. That wasn't cool. Also didn't realize that you have to buy the solenoid mount plate SEPARATELY from the winch. For $530 I'd expect them to toss in the bracket.

Anyhow. installed but disappointed.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by seal20
An 8mm socket works just as well....what kind of failure would give you the idea to put your hand anywhere near any kind of quick diconnect?
you could shut off power to the winch until you needed it. They are non metalic and mount near the battery. quick flip of the switch instead of digging for a metal wrench while the battery is smokin. If the controler(made in china !) were to stick on you would have a safe way to save your battery.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by capt scotty
you could shut off power to the winch until you needed it. They are non metalic and mount near the battery. quick flip of the switch instead of digging for a metal wrench while the battery is smokin. If the controler(made in china !) were to stick on you would have a safe way to save your battery.
Never heard of a controller sticking. Either way, good lcuk doing anything under the hood if that were to happen!

Quick Reply: Installing winch tomorrow...any wiring tips?