Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Issues after long tube installation and cat deletes

 
Old 04-11-2019, 10:39 AM
  #1  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Issues after long tube installation and cat deletes

So this all started by a faulty cat....it broke off inside the chamber on bank one side upstream cat....I've always delt n muscle cars and this is my first jeep so I naturally thought more breathability better performance so I got a set of pacesetter long tubes and the offroad pipe combo.....as soon as the install I get a code for bank 1 sensor 1 so I change it...everything g was good for a few days....then engine light comes back on and now its p0420 and p0430...that's understandable bc no cats....then it starts running extremely rich and codes p0171 and p0174 come on so I installed some non-fowlers on the downstream 02sensor and cleared the codes....Its still sputtering on mild acceleration and I'm out of ideas....any suggestions???

Last edited by Easye33; 04-11-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Easye33 is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:18 AM
  #2  
JK Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 62
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I have never actually hear of someone going through the exhaust like ya did... Soooo i have no idea . Maybe go back to stock. If its performance you are after get a Prodigy Turbo kit.
DEJK2012 is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:26 AM
  #3  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by DEJK2012 View Post
I have never actually hear of someone going through the exhaust like ya did... Soooo i have no idea . Maybe go back to stock. If its performance you are after get a Prodigy Turbo kit.
👏👏cool bro....next time u dont know what's goin on, mayb u shouldnt respond 👍👍
Easye33 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 04:51 AM
  #4  
JK Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 62
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

looks like my advice is best so far, you are welcome
DEJK2012 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 05:41 AM
  #5  
Super Moderator
 
jedg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bunnlevel, NC
Posts: 2,919
Liked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Default

How do you know it's running rich? Are you monitoring the AFM? The two codes (p0171 and p0174) are why the engine is fattening the AFM... the computer sees the report from the sensors that the exhaust indicates a lean engine so it then fattens the AFM. Purchasing non-fowl O2 sensors doesn't do a thing to fix this.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks after the throttle body (really after the MAF sensor)? Low fuel pressure? Leak in the exhaust prior to the O2 sensors?
jedg is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 05:48 AM
  #6  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

The fowlers were for the p0420 and p0430 codes together....I've checked for vacuum leaks with no luck...I removed my pcv hose and found some oil so I replaced the valve yesterday and removed and cleaned egr valve.....fuel system is next on my list but I really feel its sensor related bc when I reset codes and run it at idle until abt op running temp it runs great with no stumbles but when I hav to jump n and go it will begin to act up slowly which has me thinking open loop vs close loop operation....I've searched everywhere to see if a tune is required for exhaust mods but I've found nothing
Easye33 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 06:03 AM
  #7  
Super Moderator
 
jedg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bunnlevel, NC
Posts: 2,919
Liked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Easye33 View Post
The fowlers were for the p0420 and p0430 codes together....I've checked for vacuum leaks with no luck...I removed my pcv hose and found some oil so I replaced the valve yesterday and removed and cleaned egr valve.....fuel system is next on my list but I really feel its sensor related bc when I reset codes and run it at idle until abt op running temp it runs great with no stumbles but when I hav to jump n and go it will begin to act up slowly which has me thinking open loop vs close loop operation....I've searched everywhere to see if a tune is required for exhaust mods but I've found nothing
You just said it yourself. Open vs closed loop. The system doesn't pay attention to many of the sensors (for sure not the O2 sensors) so the jeep may run fine initially.

Also, the non-fowlers don't fix your issue, they would have just masked it.
jedg is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 06:12 AM
  #8  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by jedg View Post
You just said it yourself. Open vs closed loop. The system doesn't pay attention to many of the sensors (for sure not the O2 sensors) so the jeep may run fine initially.

Also, the non-fowlers don't fix your issue, they would have just masked it.
Suggestions? Does this sound like an IAT sensor issue? Throttle body? I've checked for vacuum leaks and I replaced all top end seals last summer with exhaust change and I've been great till now

Last edited by Easye33; 04-18-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Easye33 is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 12:44 PM
  #9  
Super Moderator
 
jedg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bunnlevel, NC
Posts: 2,919
Liked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Don't you have another thread asking similar questions? I think in that one, you're asking the same question in a different way.

Like I said before. Your computer is getting information that you're running lean. That's either a problem with what the O2 sensors are reporting or what the MAF is reporting or you have air entering the system between the MAF and the O2 sensors.

What's your A/F ratio?

And, really, I don't see what you think you are gaining with cat delete. It's not like the 3.8L horsepower is limited by the exhaust.
jedg is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 12:54 PM
  #10  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by jedg View Post
Don't you have another thread asking similar questions? I think in that one, you're asking the same question in a different way.

Like I said before. Your computer is getting information that you're running lean. That's either a problem with what the O2 sensors are reporting or what the MAF is reporting or you have air entering the system between the MAF and the O2 sensors.

What's your A/F ratio?

And, really, I don't see what you think you are gaining with cat delete. It's not like the 3.8L horsepower is limited by the exhaust.
Yes I've narrowed it down to no communication from pcm to 02 sensor 1/1....live scan also showed 1 of the 2 tps where reading wide open so I ordered and installed a new throttle body....didnt c tge A/F ration but injectors r running over 30% and I believe that's from 02 having a flat reading tell g the pcm its lean therefore increasing the fuel.....deletes r just for personal preference
Easye33 is offline  

Quick Reply: Issues after long tube installation and cat deletes


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: