Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JCR Axle Truss

Old 02-16-2016, 10:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TreyJK
What welding technique did you all use on your trusses? I took a stick and MIG class and bought a 180 MIG but have heard that it may not be able to penetrate the cast housing enough. Would the MIG be able to weld the truss to the tubes properly? Do you really need to weld the truss to the cast metal?
You can MIG weld the tubes but if you decide to weld the actual center section, you will want to do it right. Welding the center section requires proper preheating and cooling in order to prevent any cracking. You do NOT want to MIG weld the center section although many people still do. The proper welding process for the the pumpkin is to stick weld it using only Ni-99 electrodes.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanluu
You can MIG weld the tubes but if you decide to weld the actual center section, you will want to do it right. Welding the center section requires proper preheating and cooling in order to prevent any cracking. You do NOT want to MIG weld the center section although many people still do. The proper welding process for the the pumpkin is to stick weld it using only Ni-99 electrodes.
I'm pretty sure the center section is cast steel not iron. I'm not 100% on this, but I know the knuckles are and putting a magnet to each they feel about the same. I mig welded mine and they held up nicely I don't think that would be the case if it is iron.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2. This is the correct method.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

What about welding the tubes to the center section? I've read it also strengthens the housing. Use stick with Ni-99 electrodes as well?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I used my Lincoln 180c mig with .35 solid wire and 75/25 mix. Had no problems with any part of the welding process.
That's good to hear because that's the same machine I have!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TreyJK
What about welding the tubes to the center section? I've read it also strengthens the housing. Use stick with Ni-99 electrodes as well?
Ideally, yes. You would pre-heat and burn rod in on it rather than mig it with generic wire. In a perfect world, that is correct.

Then there is the real world where you have guys out there with a mig and nothing else. Some pop welds, some have success doing it wrong. If you have a stick welder and the ability, I would totally say to use that. If you just have a mig and don't have a buddy that burns stick, your going to have make a decision. Pay a welder, or roll the dice. I rolled the dice.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been thinking about getting the jcr truss. For now I would do the front for the added security until I can afford to upgrade my d30. If I am a very inexperienced welder should I have someone else weld it for me? I have read about people getting the tubes too hot and warping them. Definitely don't want to do that.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You would have to put some stupid heat to it to get it to bend. The bigger issue is that people burn in too quickly and then expect it to cool right away. Well.....that much cooling, that quickly, is what will pull it from the axle.

No matter who welds it- take your time. Take your time. Take. Your. Time.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This looks much simpler to complete. Are you guys welding these on under the jeep or on jackstands or preloaded in a vice? Are you removing the diff cover or fluid or carrier? I am only asking as I will likely burn in the JCR in a couple weeks while my steering box is at WTO. Did anyone weld the tubes to the housing while they were at it? I will do this with a Hobart 210 with .035 wire and I have an old fiberglass welding blanket in the garage somewhere...
Old 12-15-2016, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I did a 44 truss for a friend on stands in my garage. We left the fluid in there and just went slow. We didn't use the fiberglass blanket because we kept the heat low and slow. I'm using the harbor freight special with .035 and mixed gas. It came out really nice and I told him to thrash away.

We did not weld his tubes to the diff but I did weld my rear tubes to the diff. His truss was the Artec, but I'd like to try out a Barnes 4wd truss.

Also- we left the bj's in place and did the C gussets without cooking them. Again- go slow and control yourself. Small stitches and move elsewhere.

Quick Reply: JCR Axle Truss