Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JCR OFF ROAD JK rear fender flares install issue

Old 12-11-2015, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JCR OFF ROAD JK rear fender flares install issue

Has anyone installed the new JCR JK fender flares on their JK? When I was attempting to install the rears I was holding them into positon by hand and found there is a big gap along the front edge and the Jeep. See the pics. First pic shows the gap. The other 2 pics show the top edge that hangs over too far causing the attachment flange to not sit flat onto the Jeep. My pen points to the problem spot. You can actually see the white paint from my Jeep on the edge of the fender from it rubbing just from me holding it into position. This is due to the top of the flare extending too far over the edge and contacts the Jeep's sheet metal before the fender's front attachment flange sits flat on the Jeep. I contacted JCR and the "fender guy" says that I should just go ahead and install them and everything will be fine. He has installed these flares on like 6 JK's and it was fine. I said "can you guarantee the fender will not chafe through the paint and cause the metal to corrode. He said go ahead and put some gasket material in between the fender and Jeep. To me this is not acceptable. I found 2 other Jeep owners in my club with the same problem. They have both been grinding on the flares to get them to fit properly. I feel we shouldn't have to grind on them to get the fit right. I probably should not have purchased them so soon after development. I bet if more people have this problem there will be a design change.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1403.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	631990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1413.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	631991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1414.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	631992  
Old 12-11-2015, 12:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks to me that if you bolt the top part in and push, it will flex to contact the body. They're still open. I'd suggest just calling them.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:53 PM
JK Junkie

I had a similar issue with the Barricade rear fenders. Does JCR have a 2/4 door rear or one size fits both ?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting ive never had an issue with jcr and my fenders fit great from them same with the front bumper. They have amazing costomer service id call and ask them.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

I did contact them. Refer to my post.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the post to the end now. Honestly, nothing is perfect. I've installed poison Spyder and Metalcloak fenders. Both had fit issues. With Poison Spyder, none of the brackets fit. They said to make some new ones. In fact, I can't think of anything I have bought that fit right. Recent front bumper - had to make new holes. Skids? Drill new holes.

While you'd think every jeep is the same, not even close. There's always minor changes, poor tolerances, etc.

Look at corner armor from any company. The jk body curves. Corner armor comes straight. When you bolt it down, you force the armor to follow the body.

If scuffing your paint is concern, you probably don't need the flares and should keep the stockers.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Read the post to the end now. Honestly, nothing is perfect. I've installed poison Spyder and Metalcloak fenders. Both had fit issues. With Poison Spyder, none of the brackets fit. They said to make some new ones. In fact, I can't think of anything I have bought that fit right. Recent front bumper - had to make new holes. Skids? Drill new holes.

While you'd think every jeep is the same, not even close. There's always minor changes, poor tolerances, etc.

Look at corner armor from any company. The jk body curves. Corner armor comes straight. When you bolt it down, you force the armor to follow the body.

If scuffing your paint is concern, you probably don't need the flares and should keep the stockers.
I feel you have played down the issue to just scuffed paint. This is why I am asking for input from people who actually have installed these. They will understand the problem because you clearly think it is just about scuffing paint.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think that's what he is saying at all.

I think he's suggesting that not everything is always going to be a perfect fit. There are variances in Jeeps which make some aftermarket parts not fit 100% of the time on 100% of Jeeps.

But I also think he is suggesting that if a little scuffed paint is problematic, that begs the question if you plan on wheeling your Jeep. Because when I wheel my Jeep, I occasionally get scratches in the paint. If this is strictly for looks, there are other options besides steel fenders.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Ok. Maybe I didn't explain this clearly. The problem is when I hold the fenders into position by hand there is a big gap between the fender and Jeep wheel well about an inch along the front of the fender. This is caused by the top lip of the fender hanging over the attachement flange. This lip is hitting the sheet metal and not allowing the front flange to sit flush where it should be. If I were to put the bolts in and tighten this down it seems it is going to jam that lip right into the sheet metal. I'm talking like really jam it into it. Now if I grind this lip down then just maybe the fit will be fine but I was told a the JCR salesman that if I have to grind on it to make it fit then it is their fault and they will correct it. This is why I posted this to a national forum to see how many people are having this problem. I AM NOT THE ONLY PERSON that is complaing about this. I have been contacted by others that saw my post on JCR's Facebook page regarding this problem and told me they are having the same problem. So please, this is not about a little paint scuffing.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you send them the photos?

Have you tried loosely installing the bolts to see if it will line up better versus just holding them up there?

Quick Reply: JCR OFF ROAD JK rear fender flares install issue