Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep in general, JK in particular Modification Bible

Old 01-05-2007, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep in general, JK in particular Modification Bible

I'm on my second Jeep Grand Cherokee, but I'm itching to get an Unlimited JK. I find this forum really interesting and informative, but most of the knowledge is scattered here and there in posts. I'm starting to put things together in my head, but I have no auto mechanic experience, so I get confused.

Is there a book that systematically goes through engine mods, bumper swaps, body lifts, suspension lifts, suspension geometry and arm length. Ya'll would get sick of me if I asked all my questions, and while I find a lot of my information here, I sometimes have a hard time knitting it together.

One big question I have is suspension lifts and air bags like the AiRock. While it will be my vehicle and I like the look of 33-35inch tires, my wife will be not that tolerant of a lift kit. The AiRock system and its lowering for ingress/egress would take some stress off of me. I saw their site and some of the posts here on them.

My basic question (besides what is the Jeep Bible) is how much would a complete AirRock system cost and what are longer arms?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-05-2007, 10:28 PM
JK Newbie

http://www.4x4books.com/howto.htm
http://www.allthingsjeep.com/books.html
http://www.123jeep.com/jeep.htm

Enjoy.

Last edited by Wladziu; 01-05-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:48 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey ColoradoJeep06, welcome to JK-Forum

Originally Posted by ColoradoJeep06
...I find this forum really interesting and informative, but most of the knowledge is scattered here and there in posts. I'm starting to put things together in my head, but I have no auto mechanic experience, so I get confused.
Who wouldn't get confused, there's a lot to know and this is a very new vehicle.

Is there a book that systematically goes through engine mods, bumper swaps, body lifts, suspension lifts, suspension geometry and arm length. Ya'll would get sick of me if I asked all my questions, and while I find a lot of my information here, I sometimes have a hard time knitting it together.
Again, the JK was just released and I really think it'll be a few years before anything on the level of what you're looking for exists and if I could be so bold, when it does exist, it'll be http://www.project-jk.com In the mean time, we love questions here so fire away

My basic question (besides what is the Jeep Bible) is how much would a complete AirRock system cost and what are longer arms?
I've talked to Off Road Only about their AiRock system and athough no firm price has been set yet, I am told it will be cheaper then the kit they have for the TJ's now. As far as what longer arms are, your the JK is suspended on coils and needs a set of upper and lower control arms as well as track bars front and rear to keep your axle in place. As you lift your Jeep, the geometry of your suspension will change enough to alter the position of your axles and ultimately compromise the quality of your ride. Longer arms are just one component of many that will help correct your suspension geometry and adjustable ones will help you to fine tune them
Old 01-06-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just wrote a long thank you but my two-year old just hit the 'esc' key and erased it all.

Thanks everyone for the info, the links were helpful and the Rubi-Vs-X/ build-vs-buy is what I'm grappling with.

That and I love mechanical things, all of this is fascinating. Lack of math skills kept me from being an engineer, so I became a chemist. I'm always trying to figure out how things work.

Thanks again for the info!

Mark
Old 01-06-2007, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife

I've talked to Off Road Only about their AiRock system and athough no firm price has been set yet, I am told it will be cheaper then the kit they have for the TJ's now. As far as what longer arms are, your the JK is suspended on coils and needs a set of upper and lower control arms as well as track bars front and rear to keep your axle in place. As you lift your Jeep, the geometry of your suspension will change enough to alter the position of your axles and ultimately compromise the quality of your ride. Longer arms are just one component of many that will help correct your suspension geometry and adjustable ones will help you to fine tune them
How high could you get with the stock arm, 3'' I think. My question is, can I put AirRock on and be able to live with it for a year set to 3'' of lift and been careful with axle drop then put a real suspension, maybe 4'' and then set it up to it's real potential. All of that because my wife is 5'1'' and she will have a hard time climbing inside not the say my 3 children between 6 & 3 years old. Other reason is $$$. It seems a great idea but I know, it was like starting backward but that can be great for my purpose.

So great that it could be cheaper because more than 3 grand and not even the suspension done is lot of money.

All input will be welcome
Old 01-06-2007, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

One big question I have is suspension lifts and air bags like the AiRock. While it will be my vehicle and I like the look of 33-35inch tires, my wife will be not that tolerant of a lift kit. The AiRock system and its lowering for ingress/egress would take some stress off of me. I saw their site and some of the posts here on them.

Thanks,
Mark
https://secure48.mysecureorder.net/o...7c14ffc2ddad14

Just take a look at this page to have an idea of the price and I pray that Eddie is right and that the price will be down because you have to add the price of a air supply to the kit and a suspension lift too.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joss097
https://secure48.mysecureorder.net/o...7c14ffc2ddad14

Just take a look at this page to have an idea of the price and I pray that Eddie is right and that the price will be down because you have to add the price of a air supply to the kit and a suspension lift too.
I followed the link and looked around. I found this blurb for the long arm suspension:

Off Road Only is proud to offer the Nth Degree Long Arm suspension kit-- packaged exclusively for Off Road Only's AiROCK™ system! This kit includes everything you need to create the ulitmate TJ suspension! The kit includes all the parts you need, and none of the parts you don't. The Nth Degree long arm kit will ONLY work with the 6" aiROCK kit currently. Most of the time this will result in a ride height of about 2.5-3" over stock suspension height. This is truly THE setup to have for the Jeep™ Wrangler™ TJ.

Now, I know a lot of guys say they are 6inches but rarely do they end up only delivering 2-3 inches Not that I have that problem.

Mark
Old 01-06-2007, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

You have model for 4'' or 6'' and for 4 cyl and 6 cyl. What are the differences, I couldn't tell you but as for the price, you can have a good idea
Old 01-06-2007, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya'll would get sick of me if I asked all my questions, and while I find a lot of my information here, I sometimes have a hard time knitting it together.
Hey im in the same situation. Mechanics stuff is pretty confusing and I ask some dumb question ( at least in the minds of others) all of the time.

I'm sure nobody minds TOO much with the navie questions I ask here....right?

RIGHT EVERBODY? ( This is your que to nod your head)

Last edited by AZCA jeeper; 01-06-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:26 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh... right

Quick Reply: Jeep in general, JK in particular Modification Bible