Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JEEP JK 3.8 Engine swap using Caravan motor. DIY with Pics

Old 08-11-2017, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default JEEP JK 3.8 Engine swap using Caravan motor. DIY with Pics

New to the forum and long time Jeep owner but this is my first JK. 2009 JKU "right hand drive" for now. Picking it up tomorrow with a knocking engine. Only paying $7500 for it so I think that's a great deal. Very familiar with the 3.3/3.8 engines and I really like them. Some people don't and to each their own. I like the fact they are an iron block, center cam and use a timing chain instead of a belt. I've several caravans with 250K plus miles that ran fantastic.
Ok so I haven't found any other detailed threads on using the 3.8 lonblock from a caravan for this swap. I love doing these type of threads with lots of pics so people can see the before and after and see what is needed. I'm going up to picapart to pull an engine from a Dodge grand caravan this next week. Out the door it will only cost me $225. I'm good with that. I will replace most of the acc with new parts while I have it out and easily accessible. I love keeping the price down so $500-$600 is what the budget is for this swap. Soon as the motor is in and everything is good I will do some other threads on a budget makeover including new wheels, tires, fenders, side steps and bumpers for under $1500. I will post pics and YT videos along the way. Feedback is welcome......try to keep it positive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep jk 019.JPG
Views:	1877
Size:	4.58 MB
ID:	674069

Last edited by Ametzker; 08-13-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm down to see a new way to skin a cat. The caravan motor would be readily available in most all regions and an affordable swap if it works out.

What will the power look like on it though? The 3.8 isn't high hp or tq but any little bit you could scrounge up would be helpful.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I would like to find out what is different from our JK 3.8L and the Caravan 3.8L. I always heard they were the same.

Is it same trans as well?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am interested as well. My 3.8 currently has 280,000 and runs like a top, but, at some point I'll be looking for a replacement motor.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
I am interested as well. My 3.8 currently has 280,000 and runs like a top, but, at some point I'll be looking for a replacement motor.
Wow!!! Now that's some high mileage you have going on there. That's miles right and not Kilometers? Makes me feel more comfortable having 137K miles on mine and still runs like a top as well.

I'm keeping my JK, don't plan on selling it as is pretty obvious with yourself as well. My plan is for it to be a full-time hobby offroad vehicle, purchase a new JL Rubi in a few years to be my DD and keep it mostly stock.....maybe a small lift and some 33's. I want to then park the JK in the garage and work on doing an LS engine swap, but who knows how finance budgets will be at that time, so having a backup plan of replacing the 3.8L with another could happen as well or I heard the 3.6L can be swapped for our 3.8L also. It's good to have options.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-12-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If yours is knocking why not just re-bearing (and crankshaft from your donor if it is bad)? A bearing kit is cheap and you know everything works together.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

270 Miles each way to pic it up today. Back home and safe by 6pm. Not bad. Bought my engine off of Ebay last delivered with 150k miles for $350. I also ordered a Head gasket set that came with valves seals, exhaust gaskets and valve cover gaskets for $53. Ordered the intake gasket set for $13 and a new oil pan gasket for $10. I figure since I will have the new one out I will pressure was it and replace the gaskets and paint it up to look like new. I always like to put links to the parts so other people may be able to find the same deals so here is a few. Hopefully they post ok.

Head Gasket Sets Set New VW Town and Country Dodge Grand Caravan Chrysler Routan | eBay Head gasket set $53

DNJ IG1137 Int. Manifold Gasket for 1-11 Chrysler Dodge Volkswagen 3.3 3.8 CGUA | eBay Intake gasket $13

Oil Pan Gasket Fits 90-11 Dodge Volkswagen Jeep 3.3L 3.8L OHV 12v Cu. 201 CGUA | eBay Oil Pan gasket $10

04 Chrysler Town & Country Dodge Caravan 3.8L Engine Motor Assembly VIN L OEM | eBay Engine from 04 Chrysler Town and Country.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone want to let me in on the secret of uploading photos from my computer. I've never had such a hard time trying to post photos.

Last edited by Ametzker; 08-12-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ametzker
Anyone want to let me in on the secret of uploading photos from my computer. I've never had such a hard time trying to post photos.
I've never had any luck uploading them from my PC to this forum and having them displayed here properly. The best way to do it, is to upload them to a free image hosting site and then link them to be displayed here.

Here are some free image hosting sites other have used.
https://imgbb.com/
https://www.flickr.com/
https://www.tumblr.com/
https://www.blogger.com/about/?r=1-null_user
https://www.snapfish.com/
https://www.shutterfly.com

I use my Google Drive. If you have a Google Drive, in the link below, I explain how to upload images to your google drive and then have them displayed here. I also go over the typical way to have images displayed once you've uploaded to an image sharing site using the [img]IMAGE_LINK[/img] html brackets. Let me know if you need anymore assistance.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...change-342794/
Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry 280,000klm or 174,000miles.

Quick Reply: JEEP JK 3.8 Engine swap using Caravan motor. DIY with Pics