Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07-11 Auto to Manual Swap

Old 03-12-2021, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07-11 Auto to Manual Swap

I have a heavily modified Auto JKUR long armed on tons and 42's so trading is not an option. I am looking to swap the Auto for a Manual. 1 - because the 4 speed auto is junk and keeps over heating even with a dual cooler. 2- I also plan to swap in a TDI which requires the Manual tranny.

I have sourced the following parts for the swap.

NSG370 Remanufactured
Clutch Kit with flywheel and TO bearings ( complete kit)
Clutch Fork
Master and slave Cylinders and hose
Console and boot/ retainer
Shifter
Clutch brake pedal assy
2009 ECU for a manual.

Total cost so far is $3400

What I was hoping to find out is what wiring mods I will need to make to get it to work properly from someone who has taken on this task.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Welcome to JKF... Interesting project.. I've never tried this; you might search for a race/ performance transmission company to ask for any info. Keep posting up your progress..
Old 03-14-2021, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

You may need a different pulse counter for the flywheel (not sure) and will have to modify the wiring to put the clutch interlock in for starting unless you don't want that. But that might affect the cruise control as you can push the clutch pedal to cancel cruise. Look at Rock Auto to see if the flywheel pulse sensor is the same from auto to manual. There will be some bypass wiring for the P/N interlock which is what you may need for the clutch interlock. Other than that I can't think of anything except perhaps the PRNDL display cancel. In my manual to auto/Chev conversion that display simply showed up when I switched it all on with the Motech conversion kit.
And you will need to enter the ECU program and tell it you have the manual and do some Network connection changes.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks I figured that was it. I plan to but a complete Manual ecu from the same year. The cost is not that much more than having someone reflash my ECU.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Re: the PCM ....

When replacing the PCM, you may want to consider looking at Diablo Sports.

neville
Old 03-16-2021, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

When you swap ECU that will work but there may be options in the new that were turned off or on depending on configuration. You can simply do that in yours without changing it but you need access through (what I use any way) HP Tuners or something similar. In HPT you just go the transmission menu and say "manual" and go to the network config menu and remove the auto tranny stuff. See attachment if it helps you.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 03-16-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

So I've Come Across the following, This is for 2007 - 2011 Wranglers with the 3.8L, I can not confirm the following for 2012 + with the 3.6L
Like jrager explained the following parts are needed.
- NSG370 Transmission w/ Clutch Fork & Shifter
- Clutch Slave Cylinder, Master Cylinder & Tying Hydraulic Line
- Clutch & Pressure Plate w/ Throwout Bearing & Pilot Bearing
- New Flywheel w/ Bolts
- OEM Clutch Peddle Assembly w/ Master Cylinder Clip
- OEM Shift Boots (Inner & Outer) / Shifter Mounting Plate & Shifter Extender/Handle ( B&M Also Makes a Shifter Handle for an additional price)
- Dash Wiring harness for (2007 to 2010 / 2011 / ) for Clutch Peddle Interlock Switch OR as I'm researching the plug to the Switch and Pin location for separate wiring. Jeep will not start without this wiring or bypassed
- Engine Wiring Harness for ( 2007 to 2011 / ) for Backup Light Switch on Transmission
- Powertrain Control Module for ( 2007 - 2010 / 2011 ) - Manual PCM is Different from Automatic and a new PCM is needed, Used PCM can be used & skimmed to match VIN.
Extra - New Rear Main Seal - If Leaking this is a good time to replace it.

Programming
TIPM needs to be reprogrammed for Backup Light Switch Wiring and to remove the PRNDL from the dash.
Manual PCM skim or programming - RPM Extreme https://www.rpmextreme.com/ out of AL can reprogram PCM / TIPMs for this application. Otherwise, a Dealership might be needed.
I've reached out to all tuner companies including diablo sport / Superchips / holly and they informed me that this is far past their capabilities. HP tuners in unknown
Both the PCM & TIPM will need to be programmed to match VINs in order to work properly
-

Quick Reply: 07-11 Auto to Manual Swap