Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JEEP JK 3.8 Engine swap using Caravan motor. DIY with Pics

Old 09-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Ametzker
Interesting perfectly describes this thread. Didn't turn out the way I expected but I'm still happy with the Jeep overall. It will really be cool with the motor and tranny swap.
Have you looked into the GM LS engine swaps? That is in my long term plans for mine.

There are HEMI and LS swap kits available for our JKs so all the electronics, emissions and everything else still works. A DIYer like yourself should be able to do it relatively at a good cost
Old 09-16-2017, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Have you looked into the GM LS engine swaps? That is in my long term plans for mine.

There are HEMI and LS swap kits available for our JKs so all the electronics, emissions and everything else still works. A DIYer like yourself should be able to do it relatively at a good cost

I really like the ls and hemi swaps but both motors would be a pain to work on in the vehicle and again I would be dealing with electronic trans and engine. Yeah they are pretty reliable but even just the kits are around 4k. I think I could do my entire engine and trans rebuild purchase price of the Fitech EFI and swap included for under $2500.

Here is a cummins swap I did a few years back into an F250. All in for that was around $2500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y8CeYfo9kc
Old 09-16-2017, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vhWf_SE2uc

Last edited by Ametzker; 09-17-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll

After looking further into it and this coming from a Ford guy. I decided that an LS would be a great swap. This is probably the ending of this thread and I will repost a new soon. The conversion probably won't be complete until spring time but I pick up my donor motor tomorrow. Not sure if I'm going to use a 4l60e trans or 700r4. Either way I think it will be an awesome useful thread. The budget for that will all parts bought rebuilt and installed will be under $1800. Then however much I can sell my current setup should make that number quite a bit lower. Here is the motor I'm picking up tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (32).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	675007 $275 LSX 4.8. A little dirty and dingy but I figure do a full engine gasket set, $80. New lifters $100, water pump $45, alt $65, starter $65 use the Jeep P/S pump. Clean it up and it will be a great motor. It is going to be a sweet Jeep on an absurdly small overall budget. Probably not to many LS JKU's running around with less than 12k total including purchase price running around.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minivan 3.8 swap

FYI in 2007 Chrysler started using the same block casting number for the minivan and the JK Wrangler. I've got a 4.1 stroker Hanging on my engine stand I built using 505 Performance's stroker kit waiting to install into a 2008 Rubicon JKU.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kbsvo2go
FYI in 2007 Chrysler started using the same block casting number for the minivan and the JK Wrangler. I've got a 4.1 stroker Hanging on my engine stand I built using 505 Performance's stroker kit waiting to install into a 2008 Rubicon JKU.
That's what I figured... I just picked the wrong year. Glad it's done either way.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great stuff found out you can use 07-09 and change oil pan and timing chain cover

Originally Posted by kbsvo2go
Old 03-07-2021, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep miles

My 2007 jeep wrangler unlimited 3.8 liter has 257000 miles an 3/6/2021 It spun #4 cylinder connecting Rod bearing..No warning.. Never used a quart of oil between oil changes... Just started a knock..
Old 03-08-2021, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

That 3.8 engine is a very stout engine - strong block, great valve gear but just a poorly designed rod bearing system and the oil rings are thin. Forged pistons and rod upgrade brings them to 100%. Then run a better cam and port the heads, better injectors and with higher compression one has a reasonable good power plant.
The following users liked this post:
08YellowCat (03-26-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
That 3.8 engine is a very stout engine - strong block, great valve gear but just a poorly designed rod bearing system and the oil rings are thin. Forged pistons and rod upgrade brings them to 100%. Then run a better cam and port the heads, better injectors and with higher compression one has a reasonable good power plant.
If someone would put together a little "bulletproof" package, maybe we'd see more owners stick with the motor. I'd like to beef mine up when the time comes but I'll likely drop a crate replacement in and keep it moving.
The following 2 users liked this post by karls10jk:
ScottPSU (03-09-2021), Skytow (03-09-2021)

Quick Reply: JEEP JK 3.8 Engine swap using Caravan motor. DIY with Pics