Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep jk ""ls v8 swap""" thread for under..........$2,000

Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ametzker
Picked up the engine today and then..............I told my wife I had bought it. Luckily she is awesome and understood you can't turn down a $275.00 LS engine. She even said it's good to get it when it's cheap while the Jeep is still running ok. Rather than waiting for the Jeep to break and then have to spend a lot more. I cleaned it up before I showed it to her. The LS isn't the most attractive engine but it looks better than it did.

Attachment 675018
Awesome. I plan on doing this same project.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I imagine this is you will run the 4.8 ecm almost as a standalone to control engine and trans and have the jeeps ecm tuned to almost run as a bcm only. My first question is how are you gonna do the accelerator pedal. I've yet to see a cable driven pedal conversion for these jeeps and drive by wire I'd imagine is going to be very hard to do. 2nd don't waste your time with the 4l60 either while your fabbing find a 4l80 and build your cross members once and be done. Interested to see how this works done is swaps in about everything else other than a jk.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
My intent was to say that the LS swap seems to need similar items as a Hemi swap where an LS can be found at a lower cost. I'm struggling to understand how you're going to get away from doing ECM and wiring harness conversions since all of the LS swaps out there seem to include them.

As far as wiring conversion are you referring to just wiring the LS up to run? Or are you talking about making the LS communicate with the Jeep ecm? I'm not interested in having the 2 communicate with each other. I will go over the Jeep harness and keep the wiring for things like windows and lights etc. RPM gauge should be easy enough to work with the LS wiring. Pretty sure the speedometer is feed from the rear axle. I may add a few other gauges like oil pressure etc. Mine might not be as cool as some of those other conversions but it will be a clean install and look in the end. Let me know if that answered your question.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shrekmoose
The way I imagine this is you will run the 4.8 ecm almost as a standalone to control engine and trans and have the jeeps ecm tuned to almost run as a bcm only. My first question is how are you gonna do the accelerator pedal. I've yet to see a cable driven pedal conversion for these jeeps and drive by wire I'd imagine is going to be very hard to do. 2nd don't waste your time with the 4l60 either while your fabbing find a 4l80 and build your cross members once and be done. Interested to see how this works done is swaps in about everything else other than a jk.
Yes you are right. That is basically how I'm going to run it. Using the the drive by wire which is actually much easier because you don't have to worry about cable routing etc. Just mount the pedal and plug it in. I will probably just get one from the Junk yard with the module but Ebay also has them for around $75. As far as the 4l60 to 4l80 I will look into that and see if it will work ok with my setup. Again I've always been a Ford guy so are you saying that the 4l60 is just not a good trans or it's just not as good as the 4l80? I was looking at rebuild costs associated with the trans and I can get a fully rebuilt 4l60 for around $500.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Now you're talking!!!

This may help you, which will likely help the rest of us interested in doing an LS swap as well.

Da20Captain, did a great write-up on a DIY HEMI swap before the LS engine swap options were available.

See here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...dsheet-332076/

Da20Captain, emailed me a copy of his original spreadsheet file. My intent was to start shopping and put a similar type of part list with prices together of piecing together a complete LS conversion kit but I've been working on so many other projects, I haven't gotten around to it.

Since you're going to jump into this before me, and have a very similar style of trying to find the least expensive way to accomplish things, maybe you would be interested in updating this file for an LS engine swap of required parts and prices. I'm thinking it may help you, to make sure you're not overlooking anything in your swap as well.

Here's Da20Captain's HEMI swap file.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...FNNLUF5MjhBN00

I'm all in on following this one.

I went through that thread. Great write up. That guy really showed a lot of detail.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

You'll be fine with the 4l60e behind a 4.8. An 80 would be way overkill. Look at using the the rpm extreme reluctor wheel kit to use the jeep crank position sensor. It wakes up the jeep ecm and bcm and you'll need it to use the jeeps ignition to start the ls. Also it should make the power windows and everything else work like normal.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Atver300
You'll be fine with the 4l60e behind a 4.8. An 80 would be way overkill. Look at using the the rpm extreme reluctor wheel kit to use the jeep crank position sensor. It wakes up the jeep ecm and bcm and you'll need it to use the jeeps ignition to start the ls. Also it should make the power windows and everything else work like normal.
That's the kind of stuff I'm wondering about. In how to ensure all the electronics still function properly where my original thoughts were that wiring harness conversions needed to be present along with some ECM and BCM updates.

I'm just imagining, the current 3.8L engine has O2 , drive shaft and temperature sensors, all over the place. It seems if that stuff isn't addressed in some manor in connecting them to the replacement LS engine, then you would have dash lights lighting up like a Christmas tree. Not to mention, we all would want to still be able to control the A/C and cruise control. I'm sure all that stuff ties into the traction control as well.

I don't think it's as simple as when I was in H.S. and we were dropping small block chevy and 351 Ford V8's into our Oldmobile Cutlasses and Chevy Vega.

I'm standing by to learn though.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-22-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atver300
We developed the LS JK trigger wheel 9 years ago and they are a thing of the past. Our crank module supports Gen III, IV and Gen V LS/LT series engines and is a cleaner install; plus it puts out a cam signal for remote and one touch start.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
We developed the LS JK trigger wheel 9 years ago and they are a thing of the past. Our crank module supports Gen III, IV and Gen V LS/LT series engines and is a cleaner install; plus it puts out a cam signal for remote and one touch start.
Link or cost?
Old 09-24-2017, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Motech. Didn't see that part listed, but you can call them if he doesn't respond.

Home

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-24-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Jeep jk ""ls v8 swap""" thread for under..........$2,000