Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep jk ""ls v8 swap""" thread for under..........$2,000

Old 10-16-2017, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For everybody following this thread. I started the thread when I bought the engine but really I'm not planning the install until spring time so if you see time gaps between updates, that is the reason why. I will update each time I get another part for the project. Next purchase is the 4L60e trans and transfer case. Then I will be using some universal LS mounts off ebat for $60. I've also decided to get the PSI new wiring harness which is only $570. This will still fit in easily with my sub 2k budget. I'm not going to count the selling of the old drivetrain in my budget price but I will include both breakdowns of the purchase of all the swaped drivetrain and parts and then another breakdown that includes the selling of the old stuff. I think in the end my real cost will be sub $500. I realize that many people are not going to be selling their old stuff and want a real world budget which is where the 2k came in.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Still following. I hadn't even considered that the T-case would need to be replaced.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Still following. I hadn't even considered that the T-case would need to be replaced.
I had looked up adapters from companies like Novak but they were $650 and the Gm trans would still need to be disassembled to put in the new shaft. I was like f that. $600 could get me my trans and t-case and still have enough left over for the custom drive shafts.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the better path to me. Do you know if adapting the 2WD, 4WD-HI, 4WD-LO linkage is a challenge or is that easily solvable?
Old 10-18-2017, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Sounds like the better path to me. Do you know if adapting the 2WD, 4WD-HI, 4WD-LO linkage is a challenge or is that easily solvable?
Depending on the model t-case I get will depend on how easy. If I get the floor mounted shifter T-case it will be easier. If I end up with the electronic shift I will do away with my floor mount and put a few buttons in the dash or use the switch off the chevy. Lot's of little things but nothing should be too hard. I will try to post pics every time I run into one of those issues and what I did to solve it.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No!! I just came across this and it stopped with transfer case talk
The following users liked this post:
xtremdude (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeekyTechyCool
No!! I just came across this and it stopped with transfer case talk
I know right!! What the heck happened...
Old 11-07-2019, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by xtremdude
I know right!! What the heck happened...
Yep. OP came in with a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of interest from us in return but it kind of died off. I'm speculating, he may have gotten into the part where a conversion module and all the wire harnesses conversion kit via Motech or RPM Extreme may be a necessity which likely blew the original $2K budget plan out the window. Would have been interesting to find out for certain where I've got this thread bookmarked and check back every now and then.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm interested to see an outcome so we can hope they find a resolution
Old 04-17-2020, 01:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls JK swap

I have a 2011 JKU with the 3.8l it has 200k miles on it and is messing up for the first time since new. I think I we have gotten every penny we paid for it back. Well I just bought a 2013 Lq-9 6.0l engine, transmission, transfer case, and ECM. I plan to do this myself I am pretty well mechanically inclined on the older vehicles and I own a welding and fabrication shop so that parts taken care of. I also plan to use the GM transfer and just modify my drive shafts myself. I know I have bit off a chunk but hopefully I'll git'er done.

Quick Reply: Jeep jk ""ls v8 swap""" thread for under..........$2,000