Jeep jk ""ls v8 swap""" thread for under..........$2,000 - Page 3

Jeep jk ""ls v8 swap""" thread for under..........$2,000

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    JK Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mecca Indiana
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    That's the kind of stuff I'm wondering about. In how to ensure all the electronics still function properly where my original thoughts were that wiring harness conversions needed to be present along with some ECM and BCM updates.

    I'm just imagining, the current 3.8L engine has O2 , drive shaft and temperature sensors, all over the place. It seems if that stuff isn't addressed in some manor in connecting them to the replacement LS engine, then you would have dash lights lighting up like a Christmas tree. Not to mention, we all would want to still be able to control the A/C and cruise control. I'm sure all that stuff ties into the traction control as well.

    I don't think it's as simple as when I was in H.S. and we were dropping small block chevy and 351 Ford V8's into our Oldmobile Cutlasses and Chevy Vega.

    I'm standing by to learn though.
    Yesterday I was doing a really long reply to your message and right at the end the power went out at the house. This one will be much shorter. I'm not using the Jeep ECM or BCM for the most part. A/C I can get working with the LS wiring harness and a switch located in the same or near location of the current Jeep switch. I have problems with the traction control right now as it is so I will be really happy to get rid of that as well. As far as christmas lights on the gauges I will disconnect any light I don't want to see. I will put the LS check engine light in place of the Jeep one. Temp gauge, fuel gauge and rpms can be used with the right combination of LS and Jeep wiring. When I did my F250 Cummins conversion a few years back I was able to figure out the sending units for gauges so it still worked with the Ford stuff. If anyone is interested in that build I will post a vid below. That whole conversion was done for around 2k as well.



  2. #22
    JK Enthusiast jordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atver300 View Post
    You'll be fine with the 4l60e behind a 4.8. An 80 would be way overkilll.
    In the most simple terms, the 4L60 is a Turbo 350 Chevy trans with O/D, and a 4L80 is the beefed up Turbo 400 with the added O/D option.
    Trail Rated. BOOM!

  3. #23
    JK Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atver300 View Post
    Link or cost?
    $299. You may consider a MoTech module instead, the MT module can handle AC, RPM, PRNDL and more, cost $499.

  4. #24
    JK Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mecca Indiana
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jordy View Post
    In the most simple terms, the 4L60 is a Turbo 350 Chevy trans with O/D, and a 4L80 is the beefed up Turbo 400 with the added O/D option.
    Thanks. Good to know.

  5. #25
    JK Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Arlington tn
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI View Post
    $299. You may consider a MoTech module instead, the MT module can handle AC, RPM, PRNDL and more, cost $499.
    Cruise control too? If so I'll be ordering one for sure. Thanks.

  6. #26
    JK Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atver300 View Post
    Cruise control too? If so I'll be ordering one for sure. Thanks.
    The MoTech module does support cruise control but it depends what ECM you are running. Most Gen IV engines control cruise control through the body control module but the Gen III controllers are different, depending if you have a TAC module or cable throttle body also changes this.

    The MT module supports CC in most Gen IV engines in early JK's with the CC stalk or the later JK's with the CC buttons on the steering wheel. The MT module is programmable for CC inputs and outputs but a lot depends on your set up. We dropped support for Gen III engines in JK years ago so I'm not sure if the module will support CC in your situation.

  7. #27
    JK Junkie Rednroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Are the Gen IV LS engines the aluminum block motors? I was reading up on the different LS motors and to be honest, it was all pretty confusing in determining the differences between the different Gen versions.

    What additionally confused me was that some recommend the Impala LS engine for our JKs but from what I've seen is they mount sideways in the Impala engine bay, so it seems you couldn't mate it with an Impala trans in the JK.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 09-25-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    '09 Sahara JKU
    Mods:
    - Mopar BBK, Mopar 2in lift, AEV Front tubeless bumper, skid plate, 12K winch.
    - 315/70/R17 BFG KO2's mounted on DC Gunmetal 7's, TF HD Carrier
    - Ruffstuff HD Tie rod,Synergy HD Draglink,TF Front HD TB,RC X-flex adj front LCA's
    - Katzkin Leather, 7.2 Surround 2800W Infinity Audio System
    My Write-Ups:
    Folding Hitch Cargo Basket with Rear Lighting
    MyGIG RHR (730N) Install
    Android OBD2 Wifi Adapter Setup Guide (No Root)

  8. #28
    JK Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mecca Indiana
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    Are the Gen IV LS engines the aluminum block motors? I was reading up on the different LS motors and to be honest, it was all pretty confusing in determining the differences between the different Gen versions.

    What additionally confused me was that some recommend the Impala LS engine for our JKs but from what I've seen is they mount sideways in the Impala engine bay, so it seems you couldn't mate it with an Impala trans in the JK.

    I'm using an LSx engine from a 2003 Silverado. Iron block I believe is a gen 3. As far as the Impala motors being any different I don't think so. The bellhousing pattern would still be the same. GM just made the FWD trans to bolt up to it. Maybe the location of the accessories is different making for an easier swap. Not sure on that.

  9. #29
    JK Junkie Rednroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ametzker View Post
    I'm using an LSx engine from a 2003 Silverado. Iron block I believe is a gen 3. As far as the Impala motors being any different I don't think so. The bellhousing pattern would still be the same. GM just made the FWD trans to bolt up to it. Maybe the location of the accessories is different making for an easier swap. Not sure on that.
    Thanks!! That's where I was getting confused. My original thought was that I would search the junk yards for a vehicle that had a combo LS engine/trans that would work with our JKs and had assumed it would be best to get the set from the same vehicle, but obviously the Impala trans wouldn't work for our JKs but the motor would.

    It would be great if there was some matrix spread sheet that showed a column of possible LS engine downer vehicles and matching trans downer vehicles that would work with each of those engines for our JKs. Understanding those combo options is where I think the majority of my homework research will need to be.

    Ideally, I would love to get an aluminum block LS V8 engine, to help reduce some weight, with a good mating trans that would all work with our JKs. While of course, not having to pay an arm and a leg to get that combo. That may be an unrealistic expectation, but I truly don't know at this point.
    '09 Sahara JKU
    Mods:
    - Mopar BBK, Mopar 2in lift, AEV Front tubeless bumper, skid plate, 12K winch.
    - 315/70/R17 BFG KO2's mounted on DC Gunmetal 7's, TF HD Carrier
    - Ruffstuff HD Tie rod,Synergy HD Draglink,TF Front HD TB,RC X-flex adj front LCA's
    - Katzkin Leather, 7.2 Surround 2800W Infinity Audio System
    My Write-Ups:
    Folding Hitch Cargo Basket with Rear Lighting
    MyGIG RHR (730N) Install
    Android OBD2 Wifi Adapter Setup Guide (No Root)

  10. #30
    JK Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mecca Indiana
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    Thanks!! That's where I was getting confused. My original thought was that I would search the junk yards for a vehicle that had a combo LS engine/trans that would work with our JKs and had assumed it would be best to get the set from the same vehicle, but obviously the Impala trans wouldn't work for our JKs but the motor would.

    It would be great if there was some matrix spread sheet that showed a column of possible LS engine downer vehicles and matching trans downer vehicles that would work with each of those engines for our JKs. Understanding those combo options is where I think the majority of my homework research will need to be.

    Ideally, I would love to get an aluminum block LS V8 engine, to help reduce some weight, with a good mating trans that would all work with our JKs. While of course, not having to pay an arm and a leg to get that combo. That may be an unrealistic expectation, but I truly don't know at this point.

    I hear ya...The alloy block would be nice. As far as combos that work "this is coming from a die hard Ford guy at heart" GM has done and excellent job of keeping certain bolt patterns the same over the years. You can basically take any 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 or like Chevy engine and bolt it to almost any tranny. TH350, TH400, 700R4, 4L60e, 4L80e and make it work with very little modification.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •