Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep Wrangler jk 2012 superchips flashpaq gave me p0731 error code. Help!

Old 11-21-2015, 12:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Are you sure you have 3.21s and not 3.73s? If so, then I would try using the flashpaq to go back to stock. Then clear the codes. Then disconnect battery negative cable for 10 minutes. It's worth a shot at resetting the PCM.

And reverse should engage in limp mode. It just takes several seconds so be patient.
So far i did this process 3 times. And at first around 2 mins my jeep worked fine but then the failure limp mode started to do it again. How can I solve this?... Tomorrow im planning to go to jeep dealer workshop to check if they can do something.

Do you have any other ideas how to fix it?

Thank you
Old 11-21-2015, 02:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Found this...

P0731 Jeep Description

This diagnosis monitors actual gear position by checking the torque converter slip ratio calculated by Transmission Control Module (TCM) as follows:

Torque converter slip ratio = A x C/B

A: Output shaft revolution signal from revolution sensor

B: Engine speed signal from Engine Control Module (ECM)

C: Gear ratio determined as gear position which TCM supposes

If the actual gear position is higher than the position (1st) supposed by TCM, the slip ratio will be more than normal. In case the ratio exceeds the specified value, TCM judges this diagnosis malfunction.

Assuming it's not mechanical (revolution sensor, ECM, tranny, wiring, etc.), which is too coincidental for me, I can't see how the flashpaq could change any of these variables unless the gear ratio was changed. Unfortunately it may need a reflash from the dealer at this point. Call Superchips and see what they say.

If you want to try to troubleshoot it yourself you can follow this process...here. It's for a WJ but should be similar I would think.

Good luck!

Last edited by 14Sport; 11-21-2015 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:14 AM
JK Newbie

A few questions:

1. What year, make & model?
2. What does the tire measure from ground to top of tire?
3. Why do you believe you have 3.21 for gearing?
4. Did you follow all of the instructions that came with the Flaspaq?

The code you mentioned is definitely a transmission code.
P0731 - Gear Ratio Error In 1st

More questions:

1. Are there any other symptoms, i.e. hard shifts, no shift?
2. How many miles are on the Jeep?
3. When was the transmission last serviced?
4. Was the shop you went to a transmission shop? If so, how did they determine the transmission was ok?

Now for some advice. I would never, and I mean, never ever allow someone to mess with the settings of my Flashpaq. I just replaced the transmission in my 2010 JKUR and didn't allow a sole from the shop to touch my programmer.
Do NOT change your gear ratio setting unless you change your gear ratio and know what your vehicle is equipped with before you even access a setting on your tuner.
Changing the program your vehicle uses is very serious work, that if done wrong or randomly can have adverse effect on your vehicle and could possibly cause the vehicle to not start at all.

Unless you know for certain that you have 3.21 differential gears, you may need to go to a reputable transmission/driveline or auto shop or the dealership for some answers. They will have to pull the diff cover to verify the gearing.
The dealership will have the ability to scan your vehicle to get a better understanding than most shops but it will cost money. It could also save you money as they could possibly diagnose the problem quicker which leads to hopefully less money spent.
Just know, a good mechanic will fix an issue, a dealership will throw new parts at the problem.

The tire size setting only has affect on what your speedometer states the speed you are going. The instructions read to measure from the ground to the top of the tire and use that number (I believe rounded up to the nearest ¼ of an inch). Unless you bought perfectly made 35" tires, I don't think the setting will be 35"

As far as the gear ratio setting, I don't think anyone here, myself included can speak to that since we do not know for sure what you have.

Please reply with the answers to the questions above when possible and we will do our best to "guess" what your problem could be. More than likely though, you will want to seek professional help.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKCRWLR
A few questions:

1. What year, make & model?
2. What does the tire measure from ground to top of tire?
3. Why do you believe you have 3.21 for gearing?
4. Did you follow all of the instructions that came with the Flaspaq?

The code you mentioned is definitely a transmission code.
P0731 - Gear Ratio Error In 1st

More questions:

1. Are there any other symptoms, i.e. hard shifts, no shift?
2. How many miles are on the Jeep?
3. When was the transmission last serviced?
4. Was the shop you went to a transmission shop? If so, how did they determine the transmission was ok?

Now for some advice. I would never, and I mean, never ever allow someone to mess with the settings of my Flashpaq. I just replaced the transmission in my 2010 JKUR and didn't allow a sole from the shop to touch my programmer.
Do NOT change your gear ratio setting unless you change your gear ratio and know what your vehicle is equipped with before you even access a setting on your tuner.
Changing the program your vehicle uses is very serious work, that if done wrong or randomly can have adverse effect on your vehicle and could possibly cause the vehicle to not start at all.

Unless you know for certain that you have 3.21 differential gears, you may need to go to a reputable transmission/driveline or auto shop or the dealership for some answers. They will have to pull the diff cover to verify the gearing.
The dealership will have the ability to scan your vehicle to get a better understanding than most shops but it will cost money. It could also save you money as they could possibly diagnose the problem quicker which leads to hopefully less money spent.
Just know, a good mechanic will fix an issue, a dealership will throw new parts at the problem.

The tire size setting only has affect on what your speedometer states the speed you are going. The instructions read to measure from the ground to the top of the tire and use that number (I believe rounded up to the nearest ¼ of an inch). Unless you bought perfectly made 35" tires, I don't think the setting will be 35"

As far as the gear ratio setting, I don't think anyone here, myself included can speak to that since we do not know for sure what you have.

Please reply with the answers to the questions above when possible and we will do our best to "guess" what your problem could be. More than likely though, you will want to seek professional help.
Hi thank you very much for your support!

I will take it to jeeo dealer today. I will keep you posted what was it.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

May be obvious but worth mentioning...make sure your flashpaq has the current firmware.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Any word from the shop on your transmission IVANOFF?
Old 11-24-2015, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
May be obvious but worth mentioning...make sure your flashpaq has the current firmware.

Yes it has the current firmware :( anyhow i took my jeep at the dealership. And so far they are still checking out. According to them its not mecanic thing, they are making testing it seems that they have to re program once again the computer and ask for software to jeep factory. Anyhow that was what they told me yesterday, they will give me an update tomorrow. I will keep you posted guys
Old 11-24-2015, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKCRWLR
Any word from the shop on your transmission IVANOFF?

hi! so far they are still checking out. According to them its not mecanic thing, they are making testing it seems that they have to re program once again the computer and ask for software to jeep factory. Anyhow that was what they told me yesterday, they will give me an update tomorrow. I will keep you posted guys
Old 11-24-2015, 09:53 PM
JK Newbie

I hope you flashed the Jeep back to stock before you let them flash it. Otherwise it's going to cost $100 to have Superchips unlock your programmer.
Good luck IVANOFF.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The guys at Superchips are very knowledgeable and respond to both phone and email. Why haven't you contacted them?

Quick Reply: Jeep Wrangler jk 2012 superchips flashpaq gave me p0731 error code. Help!