Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK 2015 + need to replace PCM for reprogramming?

Old 03-22-2016, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK 2015 + need to replace PCM for reprogramming?

Hello, i was talking with the owner of a jeep mods shop and he told me that jks year 2015 + in order to reprogram them for the new tire lift and gears you need to replace the Stock PCM for a Custom one and then flash that one.... he quoted me $1400 for the new Diablo PCM and the Diablo FlashTool + programming the jeep, is this true? with my Old 2010 JK i just bougth the procal flash tool and that was it
Old 03-22-2016, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

For 'tuners' yes (adding performance tunes for HP gains). But for 'programmers' (adjust tire size and gear ratio, no performance), I believe the aev procal will work, if you get the correct version?
Old 03-22-2016, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AEV ProCal claims to work up through 2016: American Expedition Vehicles - Brute Kit, V8 HEMI, Aftermarket Jeep Conversions, Products, Wheels, Accessories and Highline Kits for Jeeps (TJ, JK, WK, XK).

Looks like the Superchips FlashCal supports the newer PCMs also: https://superchips.com/flashcal-now-...p-wrangler-jk/

If you only need to adjust tire size, gear ratio, etc., then something like that is all you need.

Originally Posted by viperdrake
he quoted me $1400 for the new Diablo PCM and the Diablo FlashTool + programming the jeep
Direct from Diablosport, an unlocked PCM + inTune i2 handheld tuner is $900. What's the extra $500 for? What "programming" are you paying for? If you are only trying to adjust for tire size and gears, then this is complete overkill. This sounds like he's charging you for a complete custom performance tune. What is it that you actually want?

If it is actually a performance tune you are looking for in addition to calibrating tire size, etc., then it's still overkill IMO. A custom performance tune for a stock engine won't give you much benefit over one of the included performance tunes ("canned" tunes) that come with the handheld tuner.

I'll post some details on your options after I get some pricing info confirmed (hopefully this evening).

~Jeff
Old 03-22-2016, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by viperdrake
Hello, i was talking with the owner of a jeep mods shop and he told me that jks year 2015 + in order to reprogram them for the new tire lift and gears you need to replace the Stock PCM for a Custom one and then flash that one.... he quoted me $1400 for the new Diablo PCM and the Diablo FlashTool + programming the jeep, is this true? with my Old 2010 JK i just bougth the procal flash tool and that was it

Just curious there
Don't wanna open a can of worms here
But doesn't the PCM have to match the VIN for the vehicle , I mean just putting a brand new PCM turn the Key ON just won't do it
Or is it that simple??
I had my PCM tuned by RIPP tunes through the Diablo tuner it worked great.
Asked the dealer if I could have a PCM as a SPARE they said it's not that easy.
What you think any opinions are great for personal knowledge..
Good luck with your new tunne
Old 03-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by danny767
Don't wanna open a can of worms here
But doesn't the PCM have to match the VIN for the vehicle , I mean just putting a brand new PCM turn the Key ON just won't do it
Or is it that simple??
Yes, the PCM needs to be calibrated to the VIN. When you purchase an "unlocked" tuneable PCM, you must provide your VIN and current odometer reading. When you receive the unlocked PCM, it will already be calibrated for your vehicle. I don't yet know what the exact procedure is for swapping the PCM, but I'll try to get details and report back soon. I do know that it is a simple procedure that you can do yourself without requiring access to dealer PCM flashing tools.

Originally Posted by danny767
Asked the dealer if I could have a PCM as a SPARE they said it's not that easy.
I don't see any reason for keeping a spare PCM. A PCM failure is highly unlikely. And then you'd have the problem of the odometer reading being outdated on your spare if you decide to swap it in at a later time.

~Jeff
Old 03-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor

Took longer than I anticipated, but I'm back with some info as promised.

If you actually need an unlocked/programmable PCM for a 2015-2016 JK (for canned/custom performance tunes), then here's the options we're offering:

1. Send your PCM to us and pay $195 to have it unlocked and sent back to you.
  2. Buy an unlocked PCM from us to avoid leaving your Jeep disabled in your driveway while sending your PCM back and forth in the mail. You'll have to give us your VIN and odometer reading so we can calibrate your new PCM to your vehicle properly. We also have bundled pricing for a PCM + handheld tuner:
  1. PCM only: $595
  2. PCM + Diablosport inTune i2: $895
  3. PCM + Diablosport Trinity: $995

If you purchase an unlocked PCM from us, then after you receive it and install it, you have the option to return your original, working/undamaged/clean PCM for a $195 refund to ease the pain.

I'll report back when I get details about the actual installation procedure.

~Jeff
Old 12-31-2016, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Smile

Originally Posted by ProdigyPerformance
Took longer than I anticipated, but I'm back with some info as promised.

If you actually need an unlocked/programmable PCM for a 2015-2016 JK (for canned/custom performance tunes), then here's the options we're offering:

1. Send your PCM to us and pay $195 to have it unlocked and sent back to you.
  2. Buy an unlocked PCM from us to avoid leaving your Jeep disabled in your driveway while sending your PCM back and forth in the mail. You'll have to give us your VIN and odometer reading so we can calibrate your new PCM to your vehicle properly. We also have bundled pricing for a PCM + handheld tuner:
  1. PCM only: $595
  2. PCM + Diablosport inTune i2: $895
  3. PCM + Diablosport Trinity: $995

If you purchase an unlocked PCM from us, then after you receive it and install it, you have the option to return your original, working/undamaged/clean PCM for a $195 refund to ease the pain.

I'll report back when I get details about the actual installation procedure.

~Jeff
Hi Jeff, thanks for the quote

I would like to know if I'll be able to use any of the other existing tuners in the market, for example Bully Dog BDX, Superchip Trail Dash 2... once I pay you guys for the PCM only, instead of using the Diablo or the handheld tuner

Thanks man!
Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I purchased the super chips trail dash 2 and downloaded my stock config uploaded it to super chips they sent me an unlocked pcm, I swapped it with my stock one a sent them that one back? No extra cost....
Old 01-06-2017, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry if a Dumb Question, but if mileage on unlocked PCM has to match vehicle, it must either sit in driveway, or owner gives a higher mileage, and drives until it matches new PCM in hand ? To the 10th of a mile ?
Old 01-14-2017, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Super chips never told me anything about mileage needing to match.

Quick Reply: JK 2015 + need to replace PCM for reprogramming?