Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK 2015 + need to replace PCM for reprogramming?

Old 01-14-2017, 07:40 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diego Aris
I would like to know if I'll be able to use any of the other existing tuners in the market, for example Bully Dog BDX, Superchip Trail Dash 2... once I pay you guys for the PCM only, instead of using the Diablo or the handheld tuner
That's a fun question. I'll try to get an answer.

I *suspect* the answer will be that 2015+ PCMs are all modified the same way to unlock them for tuning regardless of which tuning device you plan to use... BUT it's still a 2015+ PCM with 2015+ calibrations, so it still requires that you use a tuning device that actually supports 2015+ Wranglers. If brand X handheld tuner does not advertise support for 2015+ Wrangler, then I would not expect it to work on an unlocked 2015+ PCM.

I'll try to get confirmation of this next week.

~Jeff
Old 01-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Four Low
Sorry if a Dumb Question, but if mileage on unlocked PCM has to match vehicle, it must either sit in driveway, or owner gives a higher mileage, and drives until it matches new PCM in hand ? To the 10th of a mile ?
Originally Posted by Hydr0JKUR
Super chips never told me anything about mileage needing to match.

I only previously mentioned that the mileage is required based on Diablosport's own website page about PCM modification: 2015-2016 Chrysler PCMs - DiabloSport

Here’s how it works: Provide us with your vehicle’s VIN and Odometer mileage and we will send out an aftermarket PCM and any tuning devices you need to tune the vehicle.

I asked about this a while back and didn't get a clear explanation of why, but it was made clear that the mileage is not absolutely required.

My best guess is that the odometer reading is used to initialize various things that are mileage-based on the PCM, like the oil change reminder. It's probably not critical, but just convenient. And adding more miles to your vehicle while waiting for your unlocked PCM is not going to cause any problems. The actual odometer mileage is stored on the gauge cluster, not the PCM. Your odometer reading will not be affected by a PCM replacement/unlock.

I mention the oil change reminder because that is one strange behavior I have experienced while installing tunes on my vehicle. When I originally installed a tune (and the inTune made a copy of the original OEM tune), I happened to be in need of an oil change. Now every time I install an updated tune for the turbo, I immediately get the oil change reminder on the dashboard no matter how recently I had reset it before installing the new tune. The original OEM tune backup must also contain information about remaining oil life (possibly the odometer reading at the time of the most resent reset), then every time I install a new tune, that old information gets written back to my PCM.

~Jeff
Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Diego Aris
I would like to know if I'll be able to use any of the other existing tuners in the market, for example Bully Dog BDX, Superchip Trail Dash 2... once I pay you guys for the PCM only, instead of using the Diablo or the handheld tuner

Thanks man!
I contacted Diablosport to try to get an answer on this. Short answer: "I dunno".

Long answer: Diablosport unlocks the PCM for the purpose of allowing Diablosport's handheld tuners to write tunes to the PCM. Diablosport doesn't know how competitors are unlocking PCMs, so there's no way to make any guarantee about compatibility.

They recommended contacting the manufacturer of the other tuner(s) that you are interested in and ask them directly about wether their tuner will work on a PCM that was unlocked by Diablosport.

I still suspect that it's quite possible that an unlocked PCM is an unlocked PCM, regardless of who does it, and it doesn't matter which tuner you use on it. The hard part is getting in touch with someone at the manufacturer with deep enough technical knowledge to be able to confirm/deny this. At the end of the day though, each manufacturer will probably play it safe and say that they don't know exactly what other tuner manufacturers do to unlock PCM's so there's no way to guarantee compatibility.

I'll keep asking around to see if I can get any more definite answers.

~Jeff
Old 01-19-2017, 12:36 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ProdigyPerformance
I don't see any reason for keeping a spare PCM. A PCM failure is highly unlikely. And then you'd have the problem of the odometer reading being outdated on your spare if you decide to swap it in at a later time.
Just want to correct myself: Odometer reading is not stored on the PCM. It's stored on the gauge cluster. Odometer reading will not change when swapping PCMs.

~Jeff
Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ProdigyPerformance
I still suspect that it's quite possible that an unlocked PCM is an unlocked PCM, regardless of who does it...

I'll keep asking around to see if I can get any more definite answers.
Suspicion confirmed by Wes (the man behind the design and tuning of the turbo kit). An unlocked PCM is the same no matter who unlocks it, and should be compatible with any handheld tuner that claims support for your model year.

I should have asked him to begin with

~Jeff

Quick Reply: JK 2015 + need to replace PCM for reprogramming?