JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   JK Alignment, need help from experts! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/jk-alignment-need-help-experts-339412/)

lachoy731 01-01-2017 01:11 PM

JK Alignment, need help from experts!

1 Attachment(s)
So I had 4 Wheel Parts put some new wheels/tires put on my 15 JKU Willys, put Pro Comp 7032 and BFG 33s on replacing the stock tires. I had them do an alignment but the alignment printout says at the bottom *one or more values are not w/in specs. Tire wear, handling and safety problems may result." I have suffered from a poor alignment which led to serious tire wear issues in the past. I have attached a copy of the printout, can I get some thoughts on this from alignment experts out there? Is this acceptable or will I see uneven tire wear down the road?

karls10jk 01-01-2017 01:24 PM

It's odd that your rear axle is out of spec. The caster will not change how the tires wear between Hampton and VA Beach but the negative camber up front is something to watch.

You've got a lift, correct? How many miles are on the jeep? Mileage and the terrible roads here could be the reason your camber is out (ball joints are bad). There's really no explanation for the rear being wrong unless they put the heads on incorrectly when they were setting up for the alignment.

kjeeper10 01-01-2017 02:02 PM

My rear toe looked like that with a offset axle. Adj track bar evened it right out.

lachoy731 01-01-2017 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4269856)
It's odd that your rear axle is out of spec. The caster will not change how the tires wear between Hampton and VA Beach but the negative camber up front is something to watch.

You've got a lift, correct? How many miles are on the jeep? Mileage and the terrible roads here could be the reason your camber is out (ball joints are bad). There's really no explanation for the rear being wrong unless they put the heads on incorrectly when they were setting up for the alignment.

I have a level kit it and 21k miles. Do you think that the alignment should be done again, should I contact 4 wheel parts on this? I didn't realize until a few days after I had the wheels/tires put on when I actually looked at the printout. They didn't say anything when they printed and handed it to me.

What concerns me is that the original alignment caused serious cupping, that is why I got the new tires. Seems if the camber didn't change after the 4 Wheel Parts alignment I am going to run into the same problems.

Mark Doiron 01-02-2017 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by lachoy731 (Post 4269864)
I have a level kit it and 21k miles. Do you think that the alignment should be done again, should I contact 4 wheel parts on this? I didn't realize until a few days after I had the wheels/tires put on when I actually looked at the printout. They didn't say anything when they printed and handed it to me.

What concerns me is that the original alignment caused serious cupping, that is why I got the new tires. Seems if the camber didn't change after the 4 Wheel Parts alignment I am going to run into the same problems.

Some random thoughts:

1. With a leveling kit, there isn't much to align on your Jeep. They can set the steering wheel straight if it's crooked (and you'd already be complaining about dash lights when turning hard if it wasn't). And they can set the toe. Unless you're not revealing all of your mods (I did check your "My JK" tab, which seems out-of-date since the only mods it lists are the wheels), there is nothing else that can be adjusted. Nothing. Steering wheel and toe is what you get when you pay for an alignment on a Jeep JK unless you've replaced non-adjustable OEM parts with adjustable aftermarket parts. Oh, and that fancy printout that often looks quite similar on a new from the factory just off the train JK.

2. Cupping is usually caused by a bad shock. Suggest checking them. Bear in mind that some tires are especially notorious for cupping easily. Blocky MTs are the worst.

3. The JK ball joints are notorious for wearing out quickly. You may want to check them out--plenty of YouTube videos tell how, or just have a competent shop do it.

cjnomo 01-03-2017 08:22 AM

I hope u didn't pay $285 to have 4wp do that. Goodyear and lots of other shops coulda done exactly the same thing for less than $100. Ur caster is low. I assume u have a lift?

cjnomo 01-03-2017 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by cjnomo (Post 4270143)
I hope u didn't pay $285 to have 4wp do that. Goodyear and lots of other shops coulda done exactly the same thing for less than $100. Ur caster is low. I assume u have a lift?

Never mind... just reread and noticed you have a leveling kit. Adj control arms are the only way to adjust caster. Well... maybe cam bolts or drop brackets... but... unless u can redo ur spring perches and rotate the axles, ur stuck right where ur at.

lachoy731 01-04-2017 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron (Post 4270082)
Some random thoughts:

1. With a leveling kit, there isn't much to align on your Jeep. They can set the steering wheel straight if it's crooked (and you'd already be complaining about dash lights when turning hard if it wasn't). And they can set the toe. Unless you're not revealing all of your mods (I did check your "My JK" tab, which seems out-of-date since the only mods it lists are the wheels), there is nothing else that can be adjusted. Nothing. Steering wheel and toe is what you get when you pay for an alignment on a Jeep JK unless you've replaced non-adjustable OEM parts with adjustable aftermarket parts. Oh, and that fancy printout that often looks quite similar on a new from the factory just off the train JK.

2. Cupping is usually caused by a bad shock. Suggest checking them. Bear in mind that some tires are especially notorious for cupping easily. Blocky MTs are the worst.

3. The JK ball joints are notorious for wearing out quickly. You may want to check them out--plenty of YouTube videos tell how, or just have a competent shop do it.

Thank you for all the info. Yah, the "My JK" is old, now in a 15. I will definitely check the ball joints, and it was MTs that cupped. Thanks again, gives me piece of mind.

82kuba 01-05-2017 06:39 PM

Thanks great info

Tom55 01-10-2017 06:28 AM

Will a 4 wheel alignment check the wheel base and if off tell ya which wheels need adjustment.