Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar question

Old 10-13-2017, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar question

So I just picked up an 07 JKUS with a 3” BDS lift. I have a horrible clank when I rock the jeep side to side. I have traced it down to the sway bar end link by have never seen one like this (can’t attach pick on phone, will try to add it later when I’m on my laptop). The noise comes from the lower end where the spring is, there is a collar that you can lift to get to the actual connection. My question is this looks like an adjustable link, if I turn the adjustments will it stop the clank and if so which way should I turn it?
Old 10-13-2017, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Steinjager ? Thought i saw a thread where these links were noisy.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:39 PM
JK Junkie

Oh ok those are BDS links. What is clanking the joint or is it loose? Make sure the jam nut is tight.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Steinjager ? Thought i saw a thread where these links were noisy.
I did a google search on those and found another forum that talked about them. I’m not sure what brand mine are but the concept is the same. They are loose as crap at the disconnect end. Wonder how to “tighten” that up? Here google, google!
Old 10-13-2017, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Oh ok those are BDS links. What is clanking the joint or is it loose? Make sure the jam nut is tight.
Another question, would these links being loose cause the rig to sort of jump around side to side while driving, even without hitting any bumps? Sort of like floating side to side slightly.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Here is a picture of the "problem". The clank is coming from the disconnect end. I'll try to take a video of it tomorrow.

I looked up the part on the BDS website and they are $145 Each!, can i just buy a different/cheaper brand of equal length? My wheeling is pretty limited at this point.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.HEIC.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	675498  

Last edited by JKSunset; 10-13-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:17 AM
JK Junkie

Probably worn. Call or message BDS maybe they can help ya.

$145 each Or for both which isn't bad for disco's ?
Old 10-14-2017, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Probably worn. Call or message BDS maybe they can help ya.

$145 each Or for both which isn't bad for disco's ?
EACH! They also have some solid, non disconnect, ones for $45 each. May just go that route since I’ll likely never go wheeling hard enough to need to disconnect em.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by JKSunset
Another question, would these links being loose cause the rig to sort of jump around side to side while driving, even without hitting any bumps? Sort of like floating side to side slightly.
NO is the answer to your question. It is due to the fact BDS is an incomplete lift and you have several parts in your suspension and steering that are out of alignment in terms of geometry. The link in my signature describes what the parts of the suspension do.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
NO is the answer to your question. It is due to the fact BDS is an incomplete lift and you have several parts in your suspension and steering that are out of alignment in terms of geometry. The link in my signature describes what the parts of the suspension do.
Thanks man. I read your write up and learned a lot. I bought the jeep with the lift already on and probably won’t do much hard core wheeling so it’s more of an aesthetic component for me. I just wanted to be sure something wasn’t terribly “wrong” or messed up under there and cause major problems down the road, or an accident. Everything looks and feels tight on initial inspection but I haven’t put a wrench to anything yet. I may run it up he road to the shop that installed the lift and have them check it all out for me.

Quick Reply: Sway bar question