Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK Full suspension Bike Rack

Old 10-10-2017, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Full suspension Bike Rack

Not sure if this is the right section to post this. Wondering if anyone has an aftermarket bumper with a hitch mounted bike rack? Looking to carry two FS mountain bikes via a platform style rack. If anyone has any suggestion would be appreciated.

Right now have a 35" spare and an XRC rear bumper, curious if anyone has similar and what your setup is for carrying your bikes.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I run our rear bumper with an extension ( I run 37" or 39" tires) with a 4 bike Swagman rack, no issues.
Besides it being tough to get the extension line up perfectly sometimes. LOL
I do not have images, sorry. Imagine a nerdy dad bike, a cool mom cruiser, a pretty legit kids MTBX, and a SICK princess bike.

This is the extension I use, no real rattles I hear. I only stay on road too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...der-69882.html

Originally Posted by tw!sted
Not sure if this is the right section to post this. Wondering if anyone has an aftermarket bumper with a hitch mounted bike rack? Looking to carry two FS mountain bikes via a platform style rack. If anyone has any suggestion would be appreciated.

Right now have a 35" spare and an XRC rear bumper, curious if anyone has similar and what your setup is for carrying your bikes.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Like Rancho, I too need to use an extender to get my bike rack to clear my 35" spare tire with my current setup. I have 2 bike Yakima Rack that I've had for about 6 years now. Worked great on my road trip last month. Carried two hardtails (one 29er). I used an 10" extender I got off Amazon. I'm currently running my Jeep without a rear bumper and an Evo crossmember cover and D ring mounts instead. Just using the standard factory style hitch. I used to run a Poison Spyder Rear bumper (had a hitch mount integrated in the bumper) and I didn't need an extender with that setup. Bottomline, I'm sure you could use any bumper/bike rack combo, you may just run into a clearance issue on whether the rack will clear your spare with or without an extender. Also, just another thing to keep in mind, depending on the exact rack you get/have, you may not be able to open up the back of your Jeep with the rack attached. I've got a picture if you need it too. I took mine on some sorta rough backroads and it did alright.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1upUSA. Handles 2 AM bikes with ease... with 1 bike pictured... and with whimpy xc rubber and wheels that day...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	675436
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	675437
Old 10-11-2017, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mike H.
1upUSA. Handles 2 AM bikes with ease... with 1 bike pictured... and with whimpy xc rubber and wheels that day...
Nice bike. Hard to see, but do you have a hitch extender on this? If so how long? Your setup is similar to what I need, wish I saw these 1up racks sooner though.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

extender, yes, can measure later (at work)... it's actually a rack a friend and i share. It's the little 1" receiver style (he drives a Golf) and I had to get a 2" receiver adapter deal... maybe 4" in length???
Even with the tiny 1" receiver/tube, the thing is steady.

Quick Reply: JK Full suspension Bike Rack