JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   JK Pentastar Swap (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/jk-pentastar-swap-325039/)

Saharacon 08-11-2015 11:13 AM

JK Pentastar Swap

I am new to the group, but I am almost finished with swapping out my 187,000 mile 3.8l engine in my 2008 JKU with a 2013 3.6l pentastar and I thought others may like to hear about the experience. Originally I wanted to buy a new JKU, but the dealers in my area wanted $2k over MSRP, so I said no thank you. I decided to buy a very good condition high mileage 2008 Sahara and do a hemi swap, since many Hemi kits were advertised as "complete" for ~$5k. Only after I did some more investigation did I find out that "complete" means no engine, no transmission, and missing about $5k in parts you need to buy from the dealership. As I began to consider other options I could afford, I evaluated VW TDI engine swap (cody), LS engine swap (many kits), Hemi swap, but no one had done a pentastar swap... I called several dealers and expert engine swappers (AEV, Novak, Motech, JSS, and many others), and they all told me it was almost impossible, stupid, and even if I could get it to work I would have endless problems such as emissions and communication issues. Being a mechanical engineer, and a bit bull headed, I decided to throw down the gauntlet and see if I could get it to fit (mechanically and budget-wise).

robertgreen79 08-11-2015 11:41 AM

Subscribed! I'm not far from you too. I'd love to hear all about this

Invest2m4 08-11-2015 12:45 PM

Edited to say I was wrong. Nice work.

Baddkarmaracing 08-11-2015 01:36 PM

im gonna go ahead an subscribe to this one, seems like it should be interesting

nthinuf 08-11-2015 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Saharacon (Post 4132171)
I am new to the group, but I am almost finished with swapping out my 187,000 mile 3.8l engine in my 2008 JKU with a 2013 3.6l pentastar and I thought others may like to hear about the experience.

You are almost finished, but you told us nothing about the actual swap. Pics and info or it didn't happen... :D

Jeepsg2012 08-11-2015 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by nthinuf (Post 4132249)
You are almost finished, but you told us nothing about the actual swap. Pics and info or it didn't happen... :D

i am def interested in this.....cant wait to see or hear how it goes!

Rubicon John 08-11-2015 04:58 PM

Interesting post. I too inquired about this same swap a few months back with a well known shop that does hemi conversions and they told me it really hasn't been done and the LS route was a better one if I wanted to keep costs down.

Blue 08-11-2015 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Invest2m4 (Post 4132205)
Yep, not going to happen unless you want to engineer the entire system. It would cost more than an LS swap and no one has done it or will. Requires the same amount of effort, so why would someone get a 3.6 and not an LS?

Says you live in Fairfax. You are a stones throw from probably the most competitive area for car sales. They give Jeeps away in your area. Trust me, I know. That is where I bought mine. Sticker was $30k, I paid $24k before tax.

Here you go New 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport For Sale in Arlington - Washington DC, 2015 JKU with hardtop for under $27k. There are some sneaky things out there to get a lower price. I picked up another $2k by finding them. You could easily be out the door under $27k for a new JKU. Not sure what the 2008 cost, but I'm guessing you'll be over $30k easy by the time you swap the engine. Not to mention that everything else is probably pretty worn and dropping an LS in won't help the parts tab.

I don't know about impossible. Getting all the electronics from a donor vehicle would be the hard part or getting new parts from MOPAR. At the end of the day, its a JK.

Baddkarmaracing 08-11-2015 08:17 PM

If this turns out to be a fairly easy/cheap deal I would be interested. I would like a hemi or ls swap but just dont have the cash. 3.6's are a dime a dozen around here

2climbbig 08-12-2015 07:26 AM

Don't listen to the nay sayers... Keep moving forward and keep us abreast. Subscribed!