Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK Pentastar Swap

Old 08-31-2015, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I havent had much time to post recently, but I want to keep things moving while they are fresh. I am attaching an overview of which connectors are new, and which ones need to be spliced or rewired. I will provide diagrams to match the wires soonish.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WireConnectors.jpg
Views:	7878
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	623323  
Old 08-31-2015, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend Mark met you the other day and was telling me about it. Its awesome to see its possible. Looks like a crazy amount of work though! I'd probably be going with an auto (currently have a manual) so it'd be even more difficult
Old 09-02-2015, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

This project was pretty involved. Out of the time spent on it, by far most of it was doing research before I started. Actual wrench turning time was split into 4 equal time categories: 1) Actual work, 2) removing parts without the correct tools cramped under the jeep, 3) working out the kinks, and 4) doing upgrades (which I havent talked about yet). The total project took me five weeks of working occasional nights and about 8-14 hours each weekend. Without categories 2-4 I would say the actual swap if I had to do it over again would take less than 40 hrs of labor.

As for swapping your pre 2012 manual for a post 2012 auto might be impractical. You may need to change out the old TIPM to a modern era TIPM for an automatic tranny that exactly matches the features you have in your wrangler right now (power windows, locks, cruise, whatever). If that were the case, the Dash wiring harness has significantly changed (for the climate control reasons), so that would have to be accounted for with the new TIPM. So you while I basically had to change the entire engine bay out (except power steering), you might have to change the dash out also if you switch to auto. When I get time to post the wiring here, I will look at the auto tranny logic to see how much the TIPM controls things vs the PCM. If its just a couple functions you may be able to improvise.

Also, I do have a pile of left over good parts for those who want to keep their 3.8L running, or want a running engine/tranny/NP241J for a core.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

"If I had 140 hours to do an engine swap,
I'd spend the first 100 hours doing research."

- Saharacon
Old 09-02-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

He said less than 40 hours not 140
Old 09-05-2015, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you up and running? I'm assuming the 3.8 and 3.6 use a different bell housing?
Old 09-22-2015, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

I am up and running. And yes, the actual swap only took about 40 hours, more time only when you consider research and other mods. I have about 1000 miles since the swap. I have been intending to post wiring diagrams for the bold of heart, but that involves more of my time. I will get more technical details up when I can.
The two most pain in the neck issues so far have been the need to add a fuel tank pressure sensor, and the need to add the vacuum booster to the brake booster. These two items annoy me because they are totally unnecessary to the function of the vehicle , but will need to be done to get some dash lights to turn off. After 1000 miles of all kinds of testing, neither has negatively impacted performance or emissions. I just finished installing the fuel pressure sensor, and the vacuum booster will be next.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, great read and kudos to you for doing "what can't be done". Also, thanks for a great contribution to the community by taking the time to document and share. Good job man!

Wait......a JK-Forum thread where no one is throwing insults!?
The following users liked this post:
Xtremjeepn (04-18-2020)
Old 09-22-2015, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

So since you have 1000 miles can you say it was worth the effort?
Old 09-22-2015, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coxie1969
So since you have 1000 miles can you say it was worth the effort?
Id be curious what the total cost was. And I mean no BS, all in. My 3.6 with 5.38 gears and 4:1 transfer case, sucks ass offroad. Can't even spin the tires in 1st and lo. I'd rather have a 3.8 with a roots style S/C.

Quick Reply: JK Pentastar Swap