Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK Shut off need help

Old 12-11-2018, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Shut off need help

My brother has a 2011 JK 6 speed with 95k miles that has been randomly shutting off both after start up and even while driving. At first it was all random and we suspected it was the clock spring so we replaced it, all was fine for a couple months till the random shut off/ stalls became more frequent even to the point of shutting off at 40+ mph. Before starting the jeep you'd have regular power then as you turn the key everything went dead. We've been chasing our tails trying to figure it out as there can be multiple culprits such as a bad ground, tipm, crankshaft position sensor etc. The Jeep's battery and alternator are reading the correct voltage so I don't think that is it. We have replaced the crankshaft position sensor which didn't help at all. So my question is whats a checklist I can use to narrow it down? My gut feeling is its a bad tipm but at 400 dollars I wanna be sure and the jeep isn't throwing any codes either. Any help is much appreciated....thanks
Old 12-17-2018, 02:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a similar problem with my 2012 JKU with ~150K on it. Mine starts up fine, runs fine, but if I stop somewhere, shut it off, then start it up soon after (think going to the convenient store) it starts to shutter and stalls out. Dealer can't find the issue since it's kinda random at this point. But you know dealerships, even though I gave them exact instructions on how this happens, the tech just jumped in and drove it for 5 minutes and said he couldn't find any issues.

Quick Reply: JK Shut off need help