Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jks vs rock krawler vs teraflex

Old 06-12-2017, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am stuck right now between these kits

Jks j-spec 2.5 with fixed lca's from jks and adjustable sway links so I don't have to drill out holes in the existing rear sway links. Then I would eventually get a rear adjustable track bar

Rock krawler 2.5 flex with rancho 9000, eventually getting a rear track bar with that system
I would do metal cloak their jk 2.5 true dual rate arb edition or maybe their rocksport edition to save some money
Old 06-12-2017, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigfx
I'm stuck, I spend 90% on road and about 10% on trails. I have heard good and bad with rock krawler and teraflex but not so much with jks. I want a good freeway ride and nothing too rough as I drive to Colorado from Texas twice a year but I wanna capable lift for some off roading. What's the best lift of these or does anyone have a better suggestion? Thanks in advance
Here is a very simple solution to your question. Find local Jeepers in your area and take a ride in their Jeeps. That way you can feel how the Jeep rides and then you can make your derermination on what you want to buy. For me, I have run Pro-Comp 2.5 inch lift, EVO 3 inch Plush ride coils with RK lower control arms and now have the Rock Krawler 3.5 inch coils, lower control arms and front track bar and like the way my Jeep feels to me. Is what I like going to match your expectiation, probably not but if you want to go for a ride I will take you.

R/
Will
Old 06-12-2017, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I'm trying to find some local clubs, I'm new to Fort Worth and the Jeep scene, but I'm leaving to Colorado in a couple of weeks so I'm wanting to install something on the 24th.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I would be down for a ride if your local
Old 06-12-2017, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Interesting thought to raise the control arm mounts. Have you seen this done? I wonder about how much bumpstop is then needed with the raised upper control arm mounts.
Any custom build likely has moved the mounts as it is really the only way to maximize travel and correct geometry. Typically the upper control arms are not the item that creates clearance issues, it is the drag link flip. That usually takes 3.5" of added bump stop. I typically try to set up the lower axle mounts centered on the tube or slightly down. Proper geometry typically has the separation of the upper and lower links is 25% of the tire height. The JK axle links have more separation then needed for factory tire size.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Any custom build likely has moved the mounts as it is really the only way to maximize travel and correct geometry. Typically the upper control arms are not the item that creates clearance issues, it is the drag link flip. That usually takes 3.5" of added bump stop. I typically try to set up the lower axle mounts centered on the tube or slightly down. Proper geometry typically has the separation of the upper and lower links is 25% of the tire height. The JK axle links have more separation then needed for factory tire size.
Right on. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigfx
I am stuck right now between these kits

Jks j-spec 2.5 with fixed lca's from jks and adjustable sway links so I don't have to drill out holes in the existing rear sway links. Then I would eventually get a rear adjustable track bar
That seems like a solid plan, in that you addressed the majority of missing items from that kit.

The only thing I don't particularly like about their J-spec kit is their inclusion of the Fox adventure series shocks. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with them. It's just that most other kits that are paired with Fox shocks typically come with the Fox 2.0 performance series shocks. The Performance series typically runs about $100/shock higher in price than the adventure series. So it seems highly likely that's one of the ways JKS decided to reduce cost to make that kit more attractive to those looking at that height and doing price comparison shopping.

You'll likely find you won't need to replace the rear TB. Try it out and decide for yourself. The rear isn't as important to replace as it is getting an HD TB for the front, since you steer with the front. When you start moving into 37 and larger tires with their increase in weight, that's when replacing the rear starts becoming more important.

You also may want to consider budgeting for a front drive shaft replacement such as an Adams DS if you ever decide when you'll want to take it offroad. Approx. $500. The 2012+ JKs routed the exhaust under the driveshaft and the stock DS boot has been known to get torn up due to flexing offroad and hitting the exhaust.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-13-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Actually a raised rear track bar bracket is an important thing to do on two fronts. Raising the axle side by the same amount that you lifted will center the rear axle back to the stock location and it also reduces axle shift and rear steer which will affect the amount of steering corrections you will do driving down the road and will raise the roll center in the rear reducing body roll during cornering. When adding a new raised bracket it is good to also correct the angle of the bracket for the lift you are running (rotate it forward a bit) as it will keep the rear track bar in line with the frame track bar bracket and reduce the chance of interference with shocks mounted in the factory locations which is common. A front bracket is really not needed if not doing a drag ling flip unless you are just wanting more strength in the actual bracket. Unless you are doing more extreme off roading the stock bracket should be fine. You may just want to put some more weld on the bracket.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I believe the JKS kit includes a rear TB bracket, thus the reason I considered a replacement rear TB less important.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
When adding a new raised bracket it is good to also correct the angle of the bracket for the lift you are running (rotate it forward a bit) as it will keep the rear track bar in line with the frame track bar bracket and reduce the chance of interference with shocks mounted in the factory locations which is common.
LOL +1. Another issue I've experienced....course this one was not all my fault. If you don't get that positioned correctly it will indeed hit your driver's side rear shock if the bracket is tall enough.

Quick Reply: Jks vs rock krawler vs teraflex