Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Junk Yard Axle

Old 03-08-2019, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Junk Yard Axle

Ok my friends. i have looked around and i think instead of trying to buy a 44 front and then build the two 44s im just going to skip a step and build junk yard axles. Now there seem to be a few different options on what years to use and so on. So the jeepers that have done this already i would enjoy some input on what axles worked well for yall, price and aftermarket support. If there is a thread already for this please link it. i did a quick search and nothing came up.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have not done it myself but the youtube channel JKGearandGadgets is putting together a good walkthrough for the whole process.
Heres a link to the video playlist:

Might help you figure out what you're getting yourself into and the work/time involved.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

ya i saw his videos and i understand the work. Built not bought right . my think is i want one tons and i was going to build up to them, but if im going to be buying lockers and stuff why dont i buy one set (for the one tons) and not two sets one set for the 44s and one set for the tons. and the parts list goes on. but if i spen a few days grinding and welding then i get a stronger result for some added elbow grease but i wont ever have to worry about it again.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I considered doing it myself before the Carbon 44s but decided that for me with no plans of going larger than 37s for a good long while I could not justify the costs, time, and labor as when I priced it out to meet the criteria I wanted it too it ended up being almost as much as a set of bolt in UD 60s. The ultimate deciding factor for me was that I did not want to change wheels for the new bolt pattern, master cylinder for the new brakes, and the list goes on, and that the 44s would meet my needs. Would I love tons? Absolutely and I will probably do this swap myself one day. But as a DD and on 37s it just was not in the cards for me.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ya i havent sat down and done the math yet, but im at 35s now and wanna run 38s with a 2.5" lift so the money i would have to put to be able to run the 38s a one ton is prob the better answer and i can always change out the stock axles any time as long as they are still good to run temp was my reasoning also. would mostly focus on locker, gears, do a full rebuild, ball joints figure the abs sensor out then steering, maybe drive shafts also i would asume so
Old 03-08-2019, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Are you planning to do all the work yourself? Gears, cutting, welding, etc.

Have you browsed Fusion's website? It's been quite a while since I saw any posts about them, but they were generating a lot of interest at the time.
https://www.fusion4x4.com/

Old 03-08-2019, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ya everything would be done by me and my buddy.

Quick Reply: Junk Yard Axle