Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

king coil overs or not ???

Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default king coil overs or not ???

im thinking about buying coilovers or do something about my socks and springs because im tired of my jeep driving so rough
any recommendations? on springs ans socks or just save up and do coil overs?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Checking your other post, do you still have 2wd? Don't pour money into this if your wheeling. If its for street, coil overs don't make sense.

Further digging and too late, already have forced fed but what kind lift? Your build may get expensive.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 02-05-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 PM
JK Newbie

i already made my jeep 4x4 and i have teraflex 4 inch lift but i have a a wird convination on socks rear i ahve 2.0 fox recibord and front gay ass teraflex regular what do u recommend?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 PM
JK Newbie

or idk how to make my jeep to ride smooth
Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a feeling your jumping without putting too much thought.

What do you want to build this for? What type of wheeling are you planning on?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:34 PM
JK Newbie

well idk just like for mud and a lil of rock crow not hard core tho lol but the main thing right now that bugs me is how it drives on the street and when i go offroad i have to go super slow because i jump like crazy if i go a lil fast because its super stiff
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
JK Newbie

have u been to azusa ?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 PM
JK Super Freak

It's stiff cause those springs have to lift 2 tons of metal 4 inches higher than designed. Also, those springs take into account that the rig has heavy bumpers, winch and armor. Your center of gravity is also higher than the roof of some cars, so going fast in an off camber turn in the dirt increases rollovers. Speed is not what you want. Low end torque is the dream. Spinning tires = broken parts. Mud and sand are the exceptions.

I'm guessing you have all 8 adjustable control arms, adjustable front and rear track bars, c-gussets, new front and rear driveshafts, adjusted your castor and pinion, new diff covers, and extended brake lines. You should do all these and more with a lift that high and you want to do it right.

Get matching Fox shocks for the front. But don't expect car - like cornering and comfort. Also, your mpg will be in the 12~14 mile range given LA traffic. If you go coil overs, it should be a bit more plush. Again, don't expect too much. Your lifted to increase tire size, increase approach; departure & break over angles. You have to trade something to gain something.

Don't forget the wave.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 02-06-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

So much negativity in the previous post.... Allow me to offer a different perspective. On road handling and comfort is an issue that should be addressed with your current set up. It would seem something you have right now is not correct. You can have that issue diagnosed and straightened out, without spending thousands of additional dollars.
Your offroad experience is very common, and is generally dealt with by airing down your tires at or below 15psi. This allows your sidewalls to absorb more shock. If you find that to be insufficient to provide the ride quality you're looking, THEN, you should consider coil overs.
It's the primary reason why I made the switch. I spend a decent amount of time driving dirt roads, and have never enjoyed the amount of harsh bouncing and skipping my jeeps do on those rough surfaces.
Price wise, you have a couple of options; bolt on coil overs front and rear is the most cost effective. You're total investment will be around $5000 with install. Front coil overs and rear EVO lever will bump you about $2000 more. Or you can go full retard with double throw down front and rear exceeding $10000 after install.
The ultimate question is, will it be worth the level of investment to find the ride quality you are looking for. Good luck with your choices!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry, it was a bit harsh. I wrote that post late at night. My train of thought was the history of purchase.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 02-06-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: king coil overs or not ???