JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Leaking rear axle seals on 2012 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/leaking-rear-axle-seals-2012-a-269268/)

Redleg81 03-25-2013 05:06 PM

Leaking rear axle seals on 2012

So I've noticed my modded 2012 JKU is leaking gear fluid on both sides of the rear axle. My uncles and I are 100% sure it's failed seals. I have an appointment on Wed to confirm and get fixed, but I was wondering if anybody else has had this issue and if it was covered under warrenty with a modded Jeep? I have a 2.5in TF coil lift with 33' tires. I asked them when I made the appointment and their response was "depends if the pinion angle was changed". :doh:

mattgt5 03-25-2013 05:52 PM

The front inners leaked on my 12, not covered under warranty. But it was on 37", with beat in sleeves and ARB diff covers.

mudrat 03-26-2013 04:01 AM

My 12 did the same thing bad seal on passenger side and the bearing was seized on the axle shaft. Dealer covered no problem I'm running a 3.5 AEV lift with 35's

hypeiv 03-26-2013 04:37 AM

Depends on the dealership... They get paid by Chrysler to do warranty work so if they think they can fix it fast they might do it... If they are busy with a bunch of easier jobs they might give you some bs reason.

If they say no just leave and take it to another dealership... Getting mad at them and/or leaving a bad review on them might get your jeep blacklisted like eddies, so you are better off just leaving.

Redleg81 03-26-2013 05:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback/advice so far guys! hypeiv - believe me it's going to be hard to bite my tongue if they give me hell, but I know it'll get me no where showing my frustration.

hypeiv 03-26-2013 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Redleg81 (Post 3490926)
Thanks for the feedback/advice so far guys! hypeiv - believe me it's going to be hard to bite my tongue if they give me hell, but I know it'll get me no where showing my frustration.

The way I think about it is... if someone doesn't want to work on your Jeep and there are others in town that can, do you trust the quality of the work they will do.

You are better off taking it to a dealership that is happy to help you.

Read this thread before you think about giving a dealership hell:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...r-jeep-132752/

If you get a survey about the dealership do no fill it out or, if you do, give them a glowing review b/c if you write bad things it will get back to them and they do have the power to blanket void your warranty.

RDH475 03-26-2013 03:38 PM

leaky seals

Originally Posted by Redleg81 (Post 3490363)
So I've noticed my modded 2012 JKU is leaking gear fluid on both sides of the rear axle. My uncles and I are 100% sure it's failed seals. I have an appointment on Wed to confirm and get fixed, but I was wondering if anybody else has had this issue and if it was covered under warrenty with a modded Jeep? I have a 2.5in TF coil lift with 33' tires. I asked them when I made the appointment and their response was "depends if the pinion angle was changed". :doh:

Every manufacturer is having trouble with seals due to a problem with the supplier Federal Mogul a friend of mine was called in to trouble shoot the cause, outcome the supplier of teflon used in seals changed the grain size without notifing federal mogul now there are prematuraly failing seals in everything from Peterbuilts to Focuses. They are keeping it quiet dont let the dealer blame it on mods.

Redleg81 03-27-2013 09:08 AM

Thanks for the continued advice/information guys! Good news my dealer will cover the repairs under warrenty. They first questioned what type of lift I had on it (mopar or non-factory) and if it was all ready on when I bought it (I ordered from factory new). I was honest and after waiting an hour they came back saying it would be covered under the warrenty but have to order the parts. Once parts are in, they said it'll take about 4 hrs to repair both sides. Now let's hope they do a quality job!

White Ghost 03-27-2013 09:37 AM

My 2012 is completely stock it's in the shop today for the left rear leaking.

moabjk072d 03-27-2013 09:47 AM

Yup I had a Customer with a 2012 JKU the other day with a leaking right rear axle seal with no modifications yet and only 3,000 miles.