Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The least expensive way to get to 35s

Old 01-17-2007, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The least expensive way to get to 35s

Here is the question!

What would be the least expensive way to run 35s but adequately address on-road handling (keep axle centered, correct castor)? Now I am at least two months away from being JKed so this is just for the joy of the discussion.

Here’s my idea using only parts from sponsors of this site.

$226 - TeraFlex 2.5 budget with shock adapters
$210 - Daystar adjustable upper front control arms (correct caster)
$180 - Full Traction adjustable front track bar (correct centering of axle)
$616 – Total

What’s your idea? What would be the disadvantages of such a “cheap” approach?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Why not go Full Traction Premium 3" lift? its only a bit more
Old 01-17-2007, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

i think you could get a box of hockey pucks pretty darn cheap. redneck spacers/body lift!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksJeep
Here is the question!

What would be the least expensive way to run 35s but adequately address on-road handling (keep axle centered, correct castor)? Now I am at least two months away from being JKed so this is just for the joy of the discussion.

Here’s my idea using only parts from sponsors of this site.

$226 - TeraFlex 2.5 budget with shock adapters
$210 - Daystar adjustable upper front control arms (correct caster)
$180 - Full Traction adjustable front track bar (correct centering of axle)
$616 – Total

What’s your idea? What would be the disadvantages of such a “cheap” approach?
I'm going to try and install a TeraFlex 2.5" BB with shock adapters and a M.O.R.E. 1" BL so that I can run a set of 35's. In my research, this is the cheapest way to get there and still have a decent kit. If more is needed, I will add it as needed. Depending on when I get my JK, I'll try to have a complete write-up on this setup done hopefully soon
Old 01-17-2007, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
I'm going to try and install a TeraFlex 2.5" BB with shock adapters and a M.O.R.E. 1" BL so that I can run a set of 35's. In my research, this is the cheapest way to get there and still have a decent kit. If more is needed, I will add it as needed. Depending on when I get my JK, I'll try to have a complete write-up on this setup done hopefully soon
Thanks for the response, Wayoflife. My question to you is what about centering the axle and fixing the caster? Are you thinking that these matters are minor enough at 2.5 inches that perhaps they can be ignored? There have been enough reports on this site of issues with steering and tracking that it seemed better to include the cost of those fixes in the minimum needed.

I see that neither of us has addressed the issue of swaybar links.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

I would think that at 2.5" you would be fine on stock control arms, and if it were me I would try it out on the stock track bar. No need to spend money if you don't need to. Especially if you want the cheapest method.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:10 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksJeep
Thanks for the response, Wayoflife. My question to you is what about centering the axle and fixing the caster? Are you thinking that these matters are minor enough at 2.5 inches that perhaps they can be ignored? There have been enough reports on this site of issues with steering and tracking that it seemed better to include the cost of those fixes in the minimum needed.

I see that neither of us has addressed the issue of swaybar links.
I am planning to install the bare minimum with the specific intent on finding what if any issues there might be with a setup like this and then dealing with them one by one. That way, I will have first hand experience and knowledge of them and hopefully I'll be able to better help people out because of it.

If there are no problems, I will be sure to say as much. Likewise, if there are, I will try to explain them the best I can in hopes of informing people of what to expect or how to deal with it.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JkOwner
Why not go Full Traction Premium 3" lift? its only a bit more
A premium lift with shocks will end up costing over twice as much... $1300-$1400 with shocks.

I would probably do this instead:

$430 - Skyjacker 2.5" lift kit w/shocks
$180 - Full Traction adjustable front track bar
$30 - 3/4" front coil spacers
$640 - Total

Then I would just live with the caster problem till you can afford the control arms later. It really isn't a problem that I've noticed on my 3" lift. You can't take naps on the highway anymore, but it's not a problem.

As for the anti-sway bar links, you could easily modify the stock ones to work with some steel tube and pins. This would even let you get your anti-sway bar arms parallel to the ground for the best on-road handling.

-E

Last edited by Jake_Blues; 01-17-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm doing teraflex 2.5 w/ wheel spacers.. total cost will be under 400. If it needs anything else then I will add it
Old 01-17-2007, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TexasChopper
I'm doing teraflex 2.5 w/ wheel spacers.. total cost will be under 400. If it needs anything else then I will add it
me too....i think thats the best way to start out

Quick Reply: The least expensive way to get to 35s