Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The least expensive way to get to 35s

Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$120 and I'm running 35s with stock ride and handling, actually better because I'm running 35 ATs instead of the 32 MTs. I used the FT spacer lift but left off the the front track bar relocation bracket. The front axel is about 1/2" off but the handling is great now. I did the adjustable front track bar thing on my TJ and LJ for small lifts which added more problems for no improvement. You only need a 1/4" adjustment.

The main downside using stock springs and shocks is I have less droop, but with a Rubi keeping all wheels on the ground isn't as important.

I should add that the wheel backspacing and rim width is very important in making it work.

Last edited by del4s; 01-18-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonic-jk
So far so good, . Havent had any issues yet.
In all fairness, if you never wheel your Jeep hard, you probably won't.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Big M
I have used caster cam bolts on several Jeeps and never had a problem. Just make sure they are torqued properly and you will be good to go. Definately a nice addition for the budget minded guys that don't want to spend the money on new arms. Also a ton easier to do alignments. I have actually used a combination of the cams and adjustable arms....so much nicer for fine-tuning alignment.
Maybe it's just me, but at about $200, new adjustable front upper control arms are a mod for the budget minded kind of guys. And, even when properly torqued, I have still seen these things come loose under the streeses of hard wheeling. While they may make alignments easier to do, I personally wouldn't choose to go this route.

The nice thing about the JK is that DC finally made a boxed style lower control arm that will hold up to much more then the stamped pieces of $&@# that came on the XJ/TJ/ZJ. They won't flex, twist and/or bend as easily as the previous design. You pretty much had to replace those if you planned on any semi-serious offroading.
And, this is a fair statment to make. Perhaps the design of the control arms on the JK will be enough to make cam bolts a viable option for those who want to go this route.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Del4s,

Could you be a little more specific about your statement quoted below? In what way did the addition of the front track bar make matters worse?

Originally Posted by del4s
I did the adjustable front track bar thing on my TJ and LJ for small lifts which added more problems for no improvement.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would 35's fit stock without the flenders and front bumper on?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jeepingib
Would 35's fit stock without the flenders and front bumper on?
in the front it would probley work without the bumper..

No way will it clear in the back.

Look at this thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/35s-stock-2-door-1710/
Old 01-18-2007, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Del4s, or anyone who knows...what wheels do you have on your rig? I like em' a lot. Also what size/width are they? In fact, if you had a hard top w/tinted windows, I probably would have fallen out of my chair in a fit of jealous love.

tnx
Old 01-19-2007, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs down

OK, back to cam bolts. I did a little internet research about cam bolts. Now I understand why some folks don't like them. As it turns out, according to the BDS lift installation instructions, the lower front attachment for the lower front control arm has perforations placed so the round hole through which the bolt passes can be converted to a rectangular slot so that a cam bolt can be used. Here is the quote from the instructions. “The OE lower control arm mounts are perforated from the factory so that they can be changed to slots for alignment cams. The perforated sections must be removed to accepted the new cam bolts supplied in this kit. Special tools are made to perform this operation but are not necessary. The perforated sections can be removed with a rotary grinding tool, chisel or a combination of both.”

So if you adapt your JK to cam bolts, there is no going back. After reading this I decided that proper length control arms are a much better solution. Just my one cent worth (I work cheap!)

Here’s the link: http://www.bds-suspension.com/pdfs/014310.pdf
Old 01-19-2007, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
in the front it would probley work without the bumper..

No way will it clear in the back.

Look at this thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710
Break out the sawzall and get rid of that annoying bit of sheetmetal. Problem solved.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by JacksJeep
OK, back to cam bolts. I did a little internet research about cam bolts. Now I understand why some folks don't like them. As it turns out, according to the BDS lift installation instructions, the lower front attachment for the lower front control arm has perforations placed so the round hole through which the bolt passes can be converted to a rectangular slot so that a cam bolt can be used. Here is the quote from the instructions. “The OE lower control arm mounts are perforated from the factory so that they can be changed to slots for alignment cams. The perforated sections must be removed to accepted the new cam bolts supplied in this kit. Special tools are made to perform this operation but are not necessary. The perforated sections can be removed with a rotary grinding tool, chisel or a combination of both.”

So if you adapt your JK to cam bolts, there is no going back. After reading this I decided that proper length control arms are a much better solution. Just my one cent worth (I work cheap!)

Here’s the link: http://www.bds-suspension.com/pdfs/014310.pdf
Bingo! Cam bolts may be a cheap solutiong but once they're installed, there's no turning back.

Quick Reply: The least expensive way to get to 35s