JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   LED head and tail lights. (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/led-head-tail-lights-295990/)

Da10A 02-05-2014 03:27 PM

LED head and tail lights.

Gents, considering switching my headlights and tail lights for LED. My question is regarding their reliability and performance in the winter extreme cold days up here in Canada.

Are they more sensitive than stock head and tail lights.???

Thanks,

Steph

Envoyé depuis mon MB860 avec Tapatalk

chad s 02-05-2014 03:37 PM

Truck lite just came out with a set that has a built in defroster

Da10A 02-05-2014 05:13 PM

Thanks, are LEDs the type of light that needs to warm-up to work properly??? Or do they light-up right away ??

The ones I am contemplating are the trucklites...

DannyMalkin 02-05-2014 05:36 PM

They light up right away, however they do not warm up. So if it is snowing they will not melt off the snow. However trucklite has a led headlight with a heat element now.

courtsm3 02-05-2014 05:54 PM

If your seeing consistent wet snow, yes these will cover up quick. However they run cool enough they dont melt snow on contact and snow will deflect off the lens. I had no issue the past two winters and im on the coast. We only see wet snow!

Matthewd5 02-05-2014 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Da10A (Post 3829431)
Thanks, are LEDs the type of light that needs to warm-up to work properly??? Or do they light-up right away ??

I love my truck lites and they come on right away, I'm in southern Maine and we got a foot of snow today, my Jeep was parked in front of his house most of the day and interestingly none of the snow or ice stuck to the headlites...I guess thar rain ex tip was good.

matthew

Da10A 02-06-2014 02:40 AM

My main concern was not regarding the heat of the lights melting the snow, although thanks for bringing it up. I was afraid that since they don't get hot, they would be very dim on start-up and get brighter as they warm-up. Which could take a long time in -20C.

Thanks for your answers.

Matthewd5 02-06-2014 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Da10A (Post 3829670)
My main concern was not regarding the heat of the lights melting the snow, although thanks for bringing it up. I was afraid that since they don't get hot, they would be very dim on start-up and get brighter as they warm-up. Which could take a long time in -20C.

Thanks for your answers.

No. The color temperature is exactly the same as soon as it comes on

matthew

stagedtrip 02-06-2014 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Matthewd5 (Post 3829723)

No. The color temperature is exactly the same as soon as it comes on

matthew

True indeed

Erok 02-06-2014 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Da10A (Post 3829431)

You're thinking of compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs. LED instantly gets bright.