Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk engine swap, opinions wanted.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lets talk engine swap, opinions wanted.

As I have talked about in a couple of other posts I screwed the pooch on this one. I deleted that aftermarket alarm. Long story short, I was convinced that it was causing the intermittent starting issues as I could reproduce the issues when engaging the alarm. Anyhow, now my Jeep does not start. I have been wanting to swap the engine to either an LS or a Hemi. I am now looking for opinions. If I think it is going to cost me more than a grand to fix my issue, then it might be worth it to swap the motor now vs. waiting. I am really not in the financial shape that I would like to be to swap it, but I can swing it. However, it means lots of overtime in my future.

Here is what I am thinking. The shop I have been working with is Trail Jeeps in Golden. They want 25K for the 5.7 liter Hemi and 30K for the 6.4 liter Hemi. I have not talked to anyone about the LS. Not sure who does LS swaps.

I spoke with a few folks that went with the LS and they said that they chose the LS as they have heard that Hemi swaps have a lot of issues after the swap. What do you think? Anyone post swap that can give me advice based on their experience?

I almost forgot, Banks in Denver does diesel engine swaps. When I called them a few years back, they were the cheapest. Would diesel be the better way to go?

If it is just the WCM or SKM, I will most likely replace that and continue using this engine for a while longer. IT makes the most sense given my situation and what I have seen with the Jeep. If it turns out to be the computer, then I would rather do the swap now as I believe that the computer and everything else is changed with the new engine. Of course that is an assumption.

I have a 2010 JK two door sport.

Thanks everyone for putting up with me and helping me.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an LS swap which was done by Motech in Las Vegas. There are a few places I know of that do LS swaps but Motech is who I went with, they are very innovative with their swaps and will also keep you emissions compliant if you have to get tested. They have a bunch of youtube videos with Robbie talking about various swaps they are doing under WranglerJKLS. Based on the prices you mention an LS swap through Motech might even cost less.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If I was doing a swap, I'd go with a diesel. Unfortunately VW has made diesel a bad word, but it truly is a better engine...especially for a Jeep. Better fuel efficiency, more torque, longer engine life, and cleaner burning (which is better for the environment if you're into that kind of thing).
Old 07-30-2018, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuebben.2
and cleaner burning (which is better for the environment if you're into that kind of thing).
I'm not doubting you, but I just never quite understood it when others mentioned that Diesel's burn cleaner and are better for the environment. When I pass a diesel, it smells bad, makes that annoying knocking sound when idling and seems to always be blowing black smoke out of their exhaust and into the air. Just not sure how all that is better for the environment.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-30-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I'm not doubting you, but I just never quite understood it when others mentioned that Diesel's burn cleaner and are better for the environment. When I pass a diesel, it smells bad, makes that annoying knocking sound when idling and seems to always be blowing black smoke out of their exhaust and into the air. Just not sure how all that is better for the environment.
I understand your skepticism, but you gotta look at all the aspects of gas vs diesel. Diesel is less refined that gasoline, so it uses less energy to produce. Diesel is more energy dense than gas by 40% or so, so you burn less to get the same energy factor as gas. Diesel typically has longer oil change internals than gas engines, so you're using less crude. Yes, diesels blow black smoke...but that's is less harmful to the environment than the greenhouse gases of the gasoline engine(diesel still produce green house gas, just much less, about 40% or so. Newer diesels especially only produce that black smoke while under heavy load. The kicker, and how I think they get a bad wrap, is that it's fairly easy to do an EGR delete which gives the vehicle a little more power but makes it smoke A LOT...which some people think it's cool. If you don't modify the engine at all and do the routine maintenance, Diesel engines last much much longer than gas engines too.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have heard the same thing about Hemi's and all the issues. If I were to swap out my 3.8l (which is covered under the lifetime warranty) I would go with an 6.0L LS with the 4l80E transmission. Also check out Jon at RPM Extreme. He has a kit for the DIYer that is really reasonable and it is plug and play. Check him out.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

An engine swap is on my long term tudo list. At this point the LS engines look like the best option. Mostly due to the junkyard/rebuilt availability of the LS engines which greatly reduces the cost of the engine as well as any additionally needed parts. I also like the idea that there are aluminum block LS GEN IV engines available, which helps to reduce the weight.

I'm still trying to figure out which aluminum block LS engine would be best+most cost effective for my JK, has an available plug and play conversion kit and which GM vehicles it came in. Things tend to get muddy since there are so many variations of "LS" engines.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Call Jon at RPMExtreme

I got what they call a "Repower Package" and for under 18k I was shipped a 6.0l (L96) Vortec with a 6L80e trans and transfer case completely wired up assembled on pallet (incl ECU, alluminum radiator, pentastar fan, and custom headers) All I had to do was weld in the motor mounts, set the motor and trans in and plug in the wiring. 4 days total from start to finish.

Last edited by Riptide9; 07-30-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This is how it showed up at The house from RPMExtreme.com

The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

That's awesome. Driveshafts didn't need replacing?

Quick Reply: Lets talk engine swap, opinions wanted.