Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Help! Tera flex thoughts?

Old 12-26-2017, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Help! Tera flex thoughts?

I'm about to buy a new 2018 Rubicon. I want to put a lift into the deal so I can pay all in one payment. They told me Teraflex is top of the line. What are your opiions on the Teraflex tuned shocks and coils 3 inch lift with trackbar?

I've heard conflicting opinions on the ride quality. I know its subjective but I'd love to hear of you've had this lift.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2017, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll admit I'm a Teraflex fanboy, I've used their lifts on 3 of my JKs and another on my best friends. I've had the basic 2.5" coil lift, the ST3 and recently the Alpine CT3 with the Falcon 3.3 shocks. This CT3 rides amazing!! The adjustable shocks are great to tune in the ride you want and you can flip a knob to go soft/firm depending on what kind of wheeling you'll be doing.

I started a build thread on here documenting the lift install: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...d-gobi-344022/
Link to the lift (2 door): https://teraflex.com/shop_items/58f5...d70ed493a10dee

Good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
Redroad (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 05:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would rank teraflex in the middle of the road in terms of lifts. nothing really special there. If you want a top lift then look into metal cloak, or synergy, both by the way are made in USA and even better for you in California. Clayton, off road evolution, JKS, and Currie are also some others to consider. Tire size you plan on running as well as what you are going to do with the jeep will determine the height and components you need.
Redroad (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Currently running a Teraflex 2.5 on a 2-door rubi. I know measuring achieved lift can be tricky, but I felt like on day one that I did not get as much lift as advertised, now after adding 700lbs worth of gear, bumpers, steel cable winch, skid plates, and rock rails, I am in the market for different springs. The Teraflex springs are designed for stock weight Jeeps, and according to the Teraflex person I talked to, they consider stock weight to mean soft top, and a stock spare tire.

They did send me a set of half in. Spacers front a rear for free, so I can't really be mad at them, I just would do it differently if I had to do it over again.

When I do replace my springs, I will probably go Rock Krawler. Not saying they are the best out there, just my experience with my Jeeping friends is that if they do not lift as advertised it is usually on the tall side rather than the short, and I know I will likely be adding more weight in the future.

Happy Jeeping!

Last edited by tjkamp; 12-26-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Redroad (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would rank teraflex in the middle of the road in terms of lifts. nothing really special there. If you want a top lift then look into metal cloak, or synergy, both by the way are made in USA and even better for you in California. Clayton, off road evolution, JKS, and Currie are also some others to consider. Tire size you plan on running as well as what you are going to do with the jeep will determine the height and components you need.
I'll be running 35's with a 17 in wheel. Thinking of a 3 inch lift.

Thanks for feedback
Old 12-26-2017, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

tjkamp, have you looked at the Teraflex Outback Springs? I spoke to TF a couple weeks ago and expressed concern over added weight, when they recommended them. Might be worth looking at.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:45 PM
JK Newbie

Redroad, I'm running 37s on a 3" lift (with flat fenders) without an issue. You'll be good!

Have fun with your build!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 JKUR.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	676762  
Old 12-27-2017, 05:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

99.9% of dealers don't know diddly squat about this crap, nor do they really care much as they aren't enthusiasts. I'm with Dirtman......Teraflex is definitely NOT "top of the line", but there's a lot worse out there. It's an nice middle of the line lift. I'm not a huge fan of TF myself, but they do a nice job catering to their market sector. You've got a good start as you're already researching things before your purchase....which is more than most do. Unfortunately, when you're starting out the learning curve is pretty steep.

One other thing I'd mention is this......while wrapping the cost of a lift in to the purchase price might seem attractive, the disadvantage is the dealer is going to gouge you on the price of the parts/install. If you are a person that is handy and even just semi-mechanically incline, I'd suggest negotiating a package with the wheels and tires you want on it, and then purchase the aftermarket mods yourself and install yourself. Most of these parts can be purchased at a discount online and shipped free to your door. The support is out there for you to understand how to install the parts. You'd literally save thousands this way vs. having the dealer purchase and install. If they do it, you'd probably be paying some markup on the parts, redonk labor install, and interest on the amount over the life of the loan to top it off. The obvious downside is the other way means either 1) having some cash up front to purchase parts, or 2) building it slower over time.

Best of luck to you in your purchase! No doubt you'll love whatever JK you end up with.
Redroad (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I agree with resharp001, the dealer is going to give you a good screwing. Every dealer installed kit I have seen is incomplete and just slapped on. Most loose total articulation because they don't do a full kit and don't take the time to set it up right. I am sure there are a few dealers out there that do it right but be carful. I typically see around $10k for a wheel and lift "upgrade" that is dealer installed. These are typically just a coil and shock lift with a track bar. Really nothing done about caster and tend to sit really high. people like the look of it but in terms of performance and ride quality they are actually poor.
Redroad (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the above about added weight to the TF kit, I had a TF 2.5in kit and it sagged with my heavy JK. I then went to metalcloak 3.5 springs and they help and gave me a level ride but i feel with the multi-rate spring i was literally sitting on 5 compressed coils all the time, i feel like i wasn't getting the "progressive" rate out of them but other than that they rode great. I'm now back to a linear Synergy spring and couldn't be happier with it performance on and off road.

Quick Reply: Lift Help! Tera flex thoughts?