Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Kit advice please!

Old 05-24-2017, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Only 6 months? So that's why you jumped into a poor selection of RC lift on your 1st attempt. I'm on the over analyze and over research side of the spectrum. I spent 5 years in this forum doing what you described planning out my lift, deciding on the one I was going to purchase, and then installing it. Between, all the research, asking more specific question and getting great information and advise in this forum, and then actually installing the lift myself, I've come up to speed pretty well on understanding this suspension stuff that used to be such a foreign language to me. Still no expert.

I'll be honest though.....I also wanted to wait until I was out of warranty on my JK before doing any suspension mods since Chrysler hasn't been known for their "quality" in the past.
I started with RC, because I have run it on my YJ and a Z71. Besides the spring bow, it wasn't too bad, but for the money and reliability I would save up. They have good customer service for sure. I got it to get out into the trails, and find out what I really needed/wanted to do with my Jeep. I have 33k on my 2016 and have swapped both axles to Rubi, regear, and complete suspension change. Warranty sucked anyway. I wouldn't have been able to wait 5 years.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Being on these forums, I've come to the conclusion the majority fall into 2 types of learning classifications.

1. Jump in and learn from experience which comes at the expense of spending more money.
2. Hold off, research, ask questions, and learn more which comes at the expense of spending more time.

People always say Time=Money, so it all balances out. I fall into category #2, because I tend to have more time to spend than money.
I would totally agree with your assessment above. I have no issues admitting that a lot of things I've learned in life (not just jeep stuff) are direct results of mistakes. The main problem is again....not knowing what you don't know when you start out. I'm not happy about taking the more expensive route, but having done my own work, the knowledge and experience gained along the way has been valuable. Having done it the hard way though.....you see above I push heavily to "read, read, and read more" and take your path instead. LOL. That said, at some point in time you still have to jump in the water and start swimming. I tell my kids all the time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with making mistakes as long as you learn something from them.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by surferpat81
Looking to get a 3" lift kit with shocks.... I know there is a lot in a name brand that helps drive up price. Any thoughts on Rough Country as opposed to Teraflex??
The best advice on lift kits is very simple. First find local Jeepers in your area with various lift kits and take a ride with them to see what you like. Just because I run Rock Krawler does not mean you will like how it rides. Ride is 100% subjective and what I like may not be what you like. As for which companies to buy from I like those that are made in America. Companies that come to mind are Rock Krawler, Genright, EVO and Rancho (which are all Forum Sponsors). Also one thing to think of when buying a lift kit is the shocks that will go with them. Most lifts like Rock Krawler X-Factor lift are tuned to run the Prodigy Shocks, EVO Enforcer is tuned to run with King 2.0 or 2.5 shocks, Rancho lifts are tuned to run Rancho shocks. This does not mean that other shocks won't work just won't get the best ride.

R/
Will
Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Shocks are tuned to the coils and the style of driving you are doing, the lift is not turned to the shocks.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Shocks are tuned to the coils and the style of driving you are doing, the lift is not turned to the shocks.
Exactly. The lift is just along for the ride in the simplest terms.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by surferpat81
Looking to get a 3" lift kit with shocks.... I know there is a lot in a name brand that helps drive up price. Any thoughts on Rough Country as opposed to Teraflex??
Obviously we are a shop and have a different perspective than many, but as someone said earlier in this thread, lean more on recommendations for a local Jeep shop that slings quality components and is known for doing good work. There are several nice kits out there, and many more that are not so hot.

Any reputable shop will have a rig with their go to suspension kit installed for a customer to test drive. We lean heavily on JKS and EVO suspensions, so we have several different rigs for potential customers to check out at any time. Find a shop that you trust and go with their recommendation, they are responsible for whatever they recommend and for your satisfaction.

The worst thing for an inexperienced JK owner to do is to purchase a kit solely on the advice of the internet before you have gotten a chance to check it out for yourself. A $400 kit sounds good until you test drive it, trust me on that. The kits we recommend tend to be more complete and start around the $1200 range. I would plan on spending that at least. Buy something high quality from the start. A JK is a nice vehicle, it's very easy to make it not so nice to drive with cheap components.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
The kits we recommend tend to be more complete and start around the $1200 range.
I would also emphasize the "complete" aspect here when shopping for lifts. Most of the kits available are not "complete" especially when you add larger tires, which should be the major reason you're even considering getting a lift. They all seem to leave something out or provide some kind of compromise solution. So expect to pay extra on top of the listed kit price if you want to get the best out of that kit.

Things often left out that you find out about afterwards are HD track bars, driveshaft, caster corection, brake line length correction, axle breathers. So plan on spending at least another $500-$1k on top of the listed lift price.

Some of the most "complete" lift kits out there are the Metalcloak game changer kits and even those could be better by adding a replacement drive shaft which is another $500.

Whatever, you decide to get post the contents of that kit here, and there are many here that can recommend additional components you will likely need to add or could benefit from replacing what was put in the kit with a better solution for solving the same problem.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-26-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also emphasize the "complete" aspect here when shopping for lifts. Most of the kits available are not "complete" especially when you add larger tires, which should be the major reason you're even considering getting a lift. They all seem to leave something out or provide some kind of compromise solution. So expect to pay extra on top of the listed kit price if you want to get the best out of that kit.

Things often left out that you find out about afterwards are HD track bars, driveshaft, caster corection, brake line length correction, axle breathers. So plan on spending at least another $500-$1k on top of the listed lift price.

Some of the most "complete" lift kits out there are the Metalcloak game changer kits and even those could be better by adding a replacement drive shaft which is another $500.

Whatever, you decide to get post the contents of that kit here, and there are many here that can recommend additional components you will likely need to add or could benefit from replacing what was put in the kit with a better solution for solving the same problem.
Complete is the key, and most nicer kits tend to be complete. You can't lose with JKS or Metalcloak, for instance. Both are excellent. It just depends on what you want.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit advice please!