Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift kit opinions/ choices

Old 12-25-2018, 08:25 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Most brackets do not correct for the binding as it is a result of the axle rotating and throwing all the brackets off. This is why so many people have their coil bowing. Just raising the bracket will help center the axle if you are not using an adjustable track bar but also helps the axle shift from side to side because it moves on a flatter arc. On a short arms suspension as you droop the pinion angle rotates up making the bind worse, so the more down travel you have the more bind you will get from the track bar joints. This is a good reason to make sure a long travel suspension has plenty of up travel and not all down.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Makes sense. Thanks for the further details. Wouldn't the misalignment concern you mention be corrected by using a raised axle side track bar bracket or is my thinking incorrect? From my understanding you want to keep the TB parallel to the axle. With an adjustable TB you're able to get the length dialed in so the side to side alignment is centered but you increase the angle the more you lift as you outline, and this is where a raised TB bracket assists to correct that misalignment. At least that's how I currently understand it. I do personally prefer the maintenance free aspect of a factory style joint over that of an open joint and the additional flex it provides.
with a mopar 2" lift I doubt bind is an issue.you would have more of an issue with the coils falling out (you would need longer shocks tho) before tb bind is going to make any real difference.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Right at 2" of lift and 9"-10" of shocks travel it is not going to be a big deal but as you go taller with more shocks travel and uneven travel ratios it becomes an issue.

Quick Reply: Lift kit opinions/ choices