Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift kits voiding warranty

Old 01-05-2007, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kits voiding warranty

I just recieved my Skyjacker 2.5 lift kit and was just checking with the dealership before I installed it and they said that it would most likely void my warranty. I don't know if I want to do this with all of the problems that people have been having with the JK. Does anybody else have any imput on lift kits voiding their warranties?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blatently stolen from another website (intendedacceleration.com):

"Rarely does the use of aftermarket parts violate a new-vehicle warranty. The only case where a vehicle manufacturer can void the warranty is if the aftermarket part is proven to be responsible for the warranty claim. Further, it is also illegal on the part of the dealer to state that the use of an aftermarket part will void the warranty."

-E
Old 01-05-2007, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Many people will tell you that it won't, but are you willing to fight to get it covered?

Lifts change the original design of a vehicle and the operational levels (DCX/dealer can say the lift changed the parameters of the control arms, sway bars, trach bars, drive line angles, steering geometry! Can you prove it didn't?)

Bigger tires stress the bearings and driveline trying to spin the heavier wheels and tires (Add stress to axles, shafts, bearings, driveline all the way thru to the engine. Can you prove that it didn't?)

Now I am not saying that if you lift your vehicle, that your dead radio shouldn't be covered, but if you lift and wear out a control arm or a shaft joint, a dealer may cover it, but YOU need to expect it is a pay to play situation. If you can't afford to pay it if they deny your warrenty claim, you shouldn't lift it. Good bad or indifferent, you can lift, they can deny claims and you'll be stuck paying or fighting to get it covered.

It doesn't hurt to talk to the service manager ahead of the game. Some of them are cool and understand the lift things, others are not and deny at the first sight of mods.

Me, I'd lift it anyway, but mildly, and not out of the box. I'd get some miles in (on the trail) first to be sure there isn't going to be problems in the T-case or difs. Joints (usual suspect) can be easily fixed at home if need be.

Others will completly disagree with me and that is fine. What is good for me is not good for everone and vice-versa....
Old 01-05-2007, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE

"Rarely does the use of aftermarket parts violate a new-vehicle warranty. The only case where a vehicle manufacturer can void the warranty is if the aftermarket part is proven to be responsible for the warranty claim. Further, it is also illegal on the part of the dealer to state that the use of an aftermarket part will void the warranty."

-E[/QUOTE]

That's always what I have been told
Old 01-05-2007, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flakedog
I just recieved my Skyjacker 2.5 lift kit and was just checking with the dealership before I installed it and they said that it would most likely void my warranty. I don't know if I want to do this with all of the problems that people have been having with the JK. Does anybody else have any imput on lift kits voiding their warranties?
That's interesting because the dealer I went through offered to put a 4 inch lift and 35's on the Jeep for me. They also said that not only would the Jeep still be covered but the additional work would be covered under warranty as well.

Beel
Old 01-05-2007, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beel_MT
That's interesting because the dealer I went through offered to put a 4 inch lift and 35's on the Jeep for me. They also said that not only would the Jeep still be covered but the additional work would be covered under warranty as well.

Beel

If you get the work done and lift installed by the dealer your complete warranty should still be intact. It's when you do it yourself or a third party does it. I've taken it up the a$$ from another automaker because I had a lift and a CV joint failed. Sadly, because of that the JK will stay pretty stock for a while.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

There are two things here, the way it can be and the way it is supposed to be.
Originally Posted by Beel_MT
They also said that not only would the Jeep still be covered but the additional work would be covered under warranty as well.
Beel
The dealer should warrenty the jeep and the lift. What they are going to do is likely be generous on what is covered under DCX warrenty. They will likely pass along warrenty claims to DCX that if they knew the true conditon of the vehicle behind it, they would never cover. Many call this a dealer "going to bat for you". If DCX caught wind of this, the dealer would likely be up poop creek over it.

What it should be, is the dealer covers the lift and all parts affected by the lift (see my above post) and things not connected to the lift in any way, can and will still be passed on to DCX.

The reality of all of it, like I said before, expect to pay to play!! If you can't afford the possibility of repairs, don't do it!! If you have a great dealer that will cut some slack, good for you. Just know what you are getting into. Most people don't understand the long reaching effects of lift kits and all the parts of a vehicle they impact.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dealer i bought from has stated that up to a 3" lift will not affect warranty at all as long as installed by dealer and they will warranty the entire system. while it wil cost more, this is the way i will go as i have a 7 yr/100k warranty and don't want to take any chances or try and fight it.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Here is a good link with lots of info on Warranty and after market parts, i.e. Lifts...
Will it void my warranty?

it also has contact numbers and links to more info.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Hey JKMan,

Who was your dealer and what was the quoted price vs. local shops?

Scottsdale here..

Quick Reply: Lift kits voiding warranty