Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift options for 2dr JK Overland build

Old 10-08-2017, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Mark for your detailed response.

I won't be loading the jeep a lot other than the roof rack and RTT. I don't plan on changing the stock bumpers, maybe just adding a winch on the stock one. As for water and gas I don't ever plan on carrying huge amounts, we are never too far away from gas or water for more than a day or two. If ever we do load up for a longer trip offroad we will be using a trailer so the weight won't be 100% on the suspension.

The OME heavy duty springs seem to be a bit overkill for me without any heavy bumpers and armor. I might be looking at putting together a lift myself to choose better shocks and more appropriate springs.

Are Fox shocks and Rancho shocks considered to be the better brands out there? If so which ones would give me a softer ride?

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm inclined to agree with this, though it will depend on how much extra gear you decide to/need to carry. Do you need water for a week? Extra gas because there are no stations en route? Anyway, just be aware that there are three different rates of OME springs. Basically, you're taking springs rated for other vehicles (a heavy diesel motor, for example) and re-purposing them for your Jeep. I'm running their second heaviest rate on the front and their heaviest on the rear (on a four door). But because of what I do I run really heavy, despite carrying only a three pound tent.

A few other random thoughts:

1. Don't expect a better ride. I'd be very surprised if after the lift you think the ride is any better.

2. You can run without the adjustable trackbar. You can add it later, when you can afford it. Or you can just ignore that your Jeep crabs its way down the highway because the rear axle isn't tracking behind the front.

3. Whatever lift you choose, you'll probably not be happy if it doesn't take care of the caster. Geometry correction brackets or lower front adjustable control arms are good answers (camber bolts are not, because off-road use causes them to loosen up). You are unlikely to be happy with the "like driving on ice" feeling of not addressing caster along with your lift.

4. I'm not a fan of the Bilstein 5100 shocks because they aren't properly engineered for install into the JKs. If you decide to install them, just be sure that you properly tighten down the front, passenger shock. I've seen two of them come out of the top shock mounting hole because the installer did not properly tighten them down. This is because Bilstein did not provide a practical way to hold the shock from rotating while torquing the top nut down. Your work-arounds are to cut out some of the plastic fender liner, or to remove the TIPM, battery and battery tray to access the Allen wrench hole.

5. Teraflex offers an overland lift, partly in response to complaints about their 2.5" lift sagging for heavier builds. You might check with anyone who has experience with it for running whatever load you anticipate.

Last edited by cgnjeep; 10-08-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have installed no less than 6 sets of 5100 and never had an issue using Allen wrench to hold the top stud while tightening. Only the passenger side needs a small piece of plastic removed takes about 5 seconds with a dremil tool or pair of pliers.
Bilstein could have easily designed them for the JK, as the rest of the shock manufacturers did. And having seen two sets improperly installed, I think it's worth warning folks who decide to go with them anyway that they need to check on that shock. What else did they compromise on in their design of these shocks? At the very least, Bilstein should provide specific instructions on what needs to be done for the install, instead of selling them without any kind of directions. Bilstein should be ashamed.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by cgnjeep
... Are Fox shocks and Rancho shocks considered to be the better brands out there? If so which ones would give me a softer ride?
That's like asking what brand of motor oil is best. All I'll tell you is I started with Rough Country and they didn't last very long before they caused cupping tires. Swapped out to Teraflex, and ran them for about 150K miles and was happy with them. After reading a review in OJ about how great the Rancho 9000s were, decide to replace the TFs. Even when I pulled the TFs, they still had plenty of pressure. I've had two of the Rancho 9000s fail--one leaking oil, the other literally pulled apart when I hit an unseen pothole at way too fast of a speed. Also, learned that while the Rancho 9000s are adjustable, that really means adjust them for where you want them for the life of the vehicle. Adjusting them after they've been on the vehicle for a while is an iffy prospect at best--the plastic knob will twist and feel like it's going to break in two. Bear in mind that my usage is very hard--tens of thousands of miles on washboard roads, lots of driving over muddy terrain, including through calcium chloride treated roads (way up north it's used to keep dust down on highways such as the Dalton and Dempster). In hindsight, I'm surprised that the TFs did as well as they did, and disappointed the Ranchos have not been as durable.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Bilstein could have easily designed them for the JK, as the rest of the shock manufacturers did. And having seen two sets improperly installed, I think it's worth warning folks who decide to go with them anyway that they need to check on that shock. What else did they compromise on in their design of these shocks? At the very least, Bilstein should provide specific instructions on what needs to be done for the install, instead of selling them without any kind of directions. Bilstein should be ashamed.
I don't see it as a problem as they are one of the most popular shocks for jk's. You use an allen wrench to hold the stud how tough is that? OME are the same aren't they. The plastic doesn't have to be removed just makes it easier. Hold stud with Allen wrench turn nut.

Last edited by jadmt; 10-09-2017 at 04:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Lift options for 2dr JK Overland build