Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift/Tire/Gearing question...

Old 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift/Tire/Gearing question...

Alright...after constantly gathering data and becoming more knowledgeable about the JKs, I'm a little worried about getting a lift and tires now.

The specs:

-2007 JK
-2 door X
-6 speed
-Stock P225/75R16 'car' tires (what's that, appx. 29in. x 9in.)
-3:21 gears (UH OH! THE SOURCE OF MY WORRIES!)

Now, to clear it up...the 3:21 gears...I got my JK as soon as I could, when I was a little less knowledgeable. That's the way it came in, so that's what I have.

Now for what I have in mind:

-3" BDS-Suspension lift
-305/70R16 Super Swamper SSR Radials (they measure to be 34x12.50)

Doing the math, this is a 17.24% larger diameter tire.

THAT is what worries me, now that I have been reading gearing and power posts concerning lifts and larger tires. 4:10s seem to be the ideal setup with larger than OE tires, but at 19 years old the budget is limited.

My question:

SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT LIFTING MY JK AND STICKING ON THIS SIZE TIRE WITH ONLY THE 3:21 GEARS!?

So far this site has been a great resource for JK information, so here I am again! Help my out fellow JKer's!

THANKS!

-Stell

Last edited by JKStell; 05-01-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 3.21's and 35" tires its not bad but its not good. You can manage but I would change the gears. With any luck my gears will be done this week!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess it's lucky that I live on Long Island! Pretty much flat here, especially on the South shore!

Thanks for your input...I'm assuming this is with a 6 speed?

Anyone else that can chime in?

THANKS!

-Stell
Old 05-01-2007, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah its a 6 speed. All autos are 4.10's. Good luck. Its not as bad as you think.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

I have almost the same set up but just with 33s and no lift. And I live in VT so there are alot mountains and shit to go up and down. Also if you do any off foading its kind of a pain to get started. And for some reason and i am not saying its the 33s, 3.21, me or a fault but my clutch went after about 3800 which wasnt good beucase I was in boston for my job. Now this is my fourth std so i know how to drive. I would say regear and why you have it open through some lockers in there. Thats my plan. PS my jeep is still in Peabody jeep In Danvers mass wait on a clutch from last tuesday. Dont go to that dealer they treat you like @@@@
Old 05-01-2007, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Hey, where are ya at on long island? Im in mastic beach.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sayville! I found someone in Northport, too - Wrangler Unlimited.

Thanks for the input guys.

As far as not being as bad off as I thought I would be, it seems that may be the case. I think from some of the other posts I overreacted a little bit, and from what you guys are saying and the math that I can see it is NOT that big of an issue. As it is on the highway I downshift into 5th going up and down a little bit (due only to the highway overpasses, lol - 'hellazuki' knows what I'm talkin' about ).

Reading this info. makes me think that the best thing to do is do the lift, tires, wheels, etc. and make regearing a job for the future. Like some have said, it's not a sports car or a speed rocket...it's a JEEP! So I have no problem with that!

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKStell
Alright...after constantly gathering data and becoming more knowledgeable about the JKs, I'm a little worried about getting a lift and tires now.

The specs:

-2007 JK
-2 door X
-6 speed
-Stock P225/75R16 'car' tires (what's that, appx. 29in. x 9in.)
-3:21 gears (UH OH! THE SOURCE OF MY WORRIES!)

Now, to clear it up...the 3:21 gears...I got my JK as soon as I could, when I was a little less knowledgeable. That's the way it came in, so that's what I have.

Now for what I have in mind:

-3" BDS-Suspension lift
-305/70R16 Super Swamper SSR Radials (they measure to be 34x12.50)

Doing the math, this is a 17.24% larger diameter tire.

THAT is what worries me, now that I have been reading gearing and power posts concerning lifts and larger tires. 4:10s seem to be the ideal setup with larger than OE tires, but at 19 years old the budget is limited.

My question:

SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT LIFTING MY JK AND STICKING ON THIS SIZE TIRE WITH ONLY THE 3:21 GEARS!?

So far this site has been a great resource for JK information, so here I am again! Help my out fellow JKer's!

THANKS!

-Stell
To answer your question, it will be real bad. You will lose 6'th gear and be using 4th and 5th a lot. 6th will be used on open flat roads only. Gas mileage is going to drop.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Eeek...mixed messages. Hmmm...

MBAR741028, what type of gas mileage are you getting, before and after? Did you recalibrate the speedometer/tripodometer to get accurate 'readings', or do you hand calculate it?

DTCVTC, what type of milege do you get with your JK with the 33's, before them and after them? Also, it's 2 door?

Just trying to get some general ideas and feedback from those who have gone before me.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

i ran 4:10's with 35's. I wouldnt even want to consider running 3.21's.

Quick Reply: Lift/Tire/Gearing question...