Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifted jku sagging

Old 07-10-2017, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifted jku sagging

I added a lift from ebay about a year ago that had springs and shock extension brackets(4" front, 3" rear). then I piled on a drop pitman arm, control arm drop brackets, front and rear track bar relocation brackets. then tossed some 35's on it. and another 500lbs of bumpers ect.

my front is down about one inch, rear is down nearly 3 inches. I'd like to restore my ground clearance. I'd like to find some spring spacers. I'm thinking 1" front, 2" rear. my only concern is the rear. is there a rear spacer that will straighten the springs. I know the rear springs generally bow to the rear not sure if they do now but with a 2" spacer i'd expect it. if I add those spacers my geometery will be about correct again, and my ground clearance will be restored.

words cant describe my excitement of relifting my jeep back to higher then stock
Old 07-11-2017, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Buy the correct spring from a reputable company. The spacers are a great temporary solution but they do not give you any useable lift as far as ride quality goes.

Drop pitman arm is generally bad news. You may want to look into a drag link flip to go about the lift correctly.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

as far as the springs i'd estimate it has 100 lb spring rate which is good for off roading. quality springs is different for a mall crawler. my jku has a ton of room to carry heavy stuff. my gear can lower any quality off road spring. between my 30 amp air compressor system+reservoir, dual batteries, bumpers, 5 gal of water, 10 gal of aux fuel, land anchor. the drop pitman gets a bad rap I have it, but havent experienced a issue with it, and just prior to sagging it drove better then stock. my issues now are still not the pitman arm
Old 07-11-2017, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The gear doesn't make a difference. I have similar gear and I don't make excuses for sagging springs. If your gear weighs that much then you need to go to a better quality spring and add air bags to control the weight.

With all of that gear, folks would think you wheel the jeep. If that's the case then you'd want all of the usable length of coil in between the coil pockets. By adding massive spacers on top of low quality coils you're only hurting yourself and reducing the capability of your vehicle.

You can choose to ignore good advice and stack spacers then that's on you. To address your question- Rock Krawler makes coil correction wedges. Best of luck with the path you choose to pursue.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The gear doesn't make a difference. I have similar gear and I don't make excuses for sagging springs. If your gear weighs that much then you need to go to a better quality spring and add air bags to control the weight. With all of that gear, folks would think you wheel the jeep. If that's the case then you'd want all of the usable length of coil in between the coil pockets. By adding massive spacers on top of low quality coils you're only hurting yourself and reducing the capability of your vehicle. You can choose to ignore good advice and stack spacers then that's on you. To address your question- Rock Krawler makes coil correction wedges. Best of luck with the path you choose to pursue.
X3.

No name coils off of eBay, and you're blaming the sag on gear? Lol. Good luck I guess.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3" sag in the rear? I guess you got a "good" deal on those springs on eBay geez. Get quality coils and lose the dropped pitman arm or you will eventually lose your steering box. I guess everyone needs to learn the hard way when it comes to spending money on quality components versus looking for the best "deal" good luck
Old 07-11-2017, 06:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Have to agree with Karl10jk and BoraBora on this. It's not what you want to hear, but you're better off getting a quality spring than trying to slap a bandaid on a low quality sagging spring. I'd be surprised if anyone on the Forum gives your plan of spacers a thumbs up for this particular situation.

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2017, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

The spring isn't permanently crushed
It extends to nearly new length unloaded. But it's 100# spring rate so 200lbs drop the rear 1", 400# 2", 600# 3". If your jeep has a high spring rate your jeep has less unloaded axle drop. So your lift might be all spring while my springs can support more flex as they extended longer when unloaded. Keeping wheels on the ground is important, very much so in the mountains. I suppose the perfect solution would be a rear spring set for a 6" lift with 100# pound spring loaded. Does anyone have a idea where I can get those?
Old 07-11-2017, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

If I'm reading the original post correctly, you are using stock shocks with extension brackets? Have you considered adding some new shocks to the mix? You are heading down a very unconventional path. There are many overlanders on the forum that pack down jeeps with a ton of weight with no issues. They're not having to run springs for 6" lifts in back to do so.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
If I'm reading the original post correctly, you are using stock shocks with extension brackets? Have you considered adding some new shocks to the mix? You are heading down a very unconventional path. There are many overlanders on the forum that pack down jeeps with a ton of weight with no issues. They're not having to run springs for 6" lifts in back to do so.
The whole measurements thing was triggered when I was measuring for new shocks. I was looking at some adjustable rate shocks. I'm going to goto a store later and look for a stock jk to take some quick measurements from. Maybe I have jk and jku stock levels confused. Glancing at it today I'm not seeing a huge squat and it still looks lifted.

Quick Reply: lifted jku sagging